[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Speeding up scrolling in CLIs on 16 color WB 2.0 screen

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (09/28/90)

Ok, I know, I posted this on c.s.a a few weeks ago but I was ignored and I
really would like some input (possibly from the C= gods).

I am using 2.0 in a 16 color mode (see my Iconize program in abcfd20 for why)
and am only disturbed by the speed of scrolls in CLIs.  Obviously a 4 bitplane
screen requires a 4 bitplane scroll.  However, since the CLIs almost never use
any other than the base 4 colors (with the palette I use the other 12 colors
wouldn't be very exciting anyway) to maintain compatibility with people in 4
color mode (that is text files with escape codes limit the colors by default),
wouldn't it be practical and (I hope for this is the reason for this post)
possible to ignore two of the bit planes on the scroll and achieve a scrolling
rate equivalent to the 2 bit plane scroll?  I don't figure C= will add that
type of feature to 2.0 themselves (well I could hope but I won't hold my
breath) but could someone give me enough information for me to put together a
hack which would do this (or maybe someone with more time and expertise could
throw such a hack together for me).  I love the 16 color (and 8 for that
matter) modes in 2.0, and they aren't really all that slow on an accelerated
machine, but those CLIs are agonizing.  Any assistance would be GREATLY
appreciated.

Rick Tillery (the displaced Razorback)

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (10/10/90)

Warning I'm committing a cardinal sin by answering this with 140 messages
left to read, if its been answered already great.

In article <1990Sep28.145705.11637@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>I am using 2.0 in a 16 color mode (see my Iconize program in abcfd20 for why)
>and am only disturbed by the speed of scrolls in CLIs.  Obviously a 4 bitplane
>screen requires a 4 bitplane scroll.

The problem is that the 4 bitplane screen is eating all of the Chip bus
bandwidth just to display it do the blits are getting locked out of the
chip bus. Answer is either do the scrolling manually in blitter nasty
mode (which only helps a little since all that does is lock out the CPU)
or use the 4 abreast screen scrolling technique which doesn't work
in layers.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM