[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Gadget questions

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (02/04/90)

In article <1990Jan30.063656.10632@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (Mike Schwager) writes:
>More troubles trying to get Risk to work.  I've got a string gadget,
>and it seems to only want to display text in color 1, and with a
>background of color 0.

So sorry, but this is how string gadgets work. I heard a rumor once that
you could use ColorText (the Colorfont hack) to make a font that the
string gadget used that was a different color, but alas, it is still
a hack. Jim Mackraz assures us this is fixed in 1.4. (NO, no one knows
when 1.4 will be out, so don't bother asking :-)).

>Jeez, this computer is interesting, but if it keeps taking me this
>long just to get stuff done, it'll be 1995 before I'm finished!
>*sigh*

Well, it's "different" than what you are probably used to. Once you
get the zen of it the development process goes much faster and becomes
quite enjoyable.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (02/06/90)

In article <131186@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:

>Well, it's "different" than what you are probably used to. Once you
>get the zen of it the development process goes much faster and becomes
>quite enjoyable.

Then how about a new title : "Zen and the Art of Amiga Programming"?

I sure wouldn't mind another great exploration of the 'Quality vs
Platonic influences' debate mixed with a lighthearted discussion on
proper design and maintenance of our favorite new machine. Ahh, I can
see it now: "Chapter V - Hiking along systems lists while listening to
IDCMP Messages softly tapping at your Message Port" with newly-
remembered memories of your personality before the Great Tragedy
interweaved in the plot.

Might just be another Best Seller...

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (10/10/90)

I know that this subject came through here before, but despite the notes
that I took and the bits I recall, I can't get ActivateGadget() to work
(maybe I'm stupid ...)

1. I have two string gadgets (text) attached to a borderless backdrop
   window.  I wish to activate the first of these gadgets with the
   ActivateGadget() function, but this function refuses to do the job
   it seems to be designed for, and continues to return 0 (failure)
   regardless what I do.

   Is there anything I should know about activating a gadget under
   program control?  Any tricks, flag combinations that work or
   don't work?  Known bugs?  Why would ActivateGadget() fail?

   The only docs I have are 1.2

2. Also, I'm trying to get the gadget text (as entered by the user) to
   render with colors 1 on 3 but the gadget seems to insist on colors
   1 on 0 despite the pen settings in the Screen and Window structures.

Please respond by EMAIL and I'll summarize if there are requests.

Many thanks in advance!

My system: 2000/WB1.3

 ._.  Udo Schuermann           "How is American beer similar to making love in
 ( )  walrus@cscwam.umd.edu    a canoo?" -- "Both are f***ing close to water."

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct9.215943.12562@wam.umd.edu> walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) writes:
>I know that this subject came through here before, but despite the notes
>that I took and the bits I recall, I can't get ActivateGadget() to work
>(maybe I'm stupid ...)
>
>1. I have two string gadgets (text) attached to a borderless backdrop
>   window.  I wish to activate the first of these gadgets with the
>   ActivateGadget() function, but this function refuses to do the job
>   it seems to be designed for, and continues to return 0 (failure)
>   regardless what I do.

To activate a string gadget, the window itself must be active.  If
you open the window with the ACTIVATE, only some time later does
the window actually become active.  You must wait on the ACTIVEWINDOW
IDCMP message before calling ActivateGadget().

ActivateGadget() works well under those conditions.

>2. Also, I'm trying to get the gadget text (as entered by the user) to
>   render with colors 1 on 3 but the gadget seems to insist on colors
>   1 on 0 despite the pen settings in the Screen and Window structures.

In 1.3, you cannot control the pen color of the contents of the
string gadget.  Under 2.0, you may use the StringExtend structure
to do so.

> ._.  Udo Schuermann           "How is American beer similar to making love in

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com