[comp.sys.amiga.tech] input.device, trackdisk.device, pointers

ins778u@vax4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr c.r. hames) (10/09/90)

Could someone help me with the following:-

1.  WITHOUT opening a window, is there a nice way to find if the a
    custom screen is the active one?  The only way I know is looking
    at IntuitionBase->ActiveScreen.  Is this alright or is it going to
    break ?

2.  WITHOUT opening a window, is there a nice way to change the pointer
    for the screen.

3.  I want to give the option of changing the tasks priority to the priority
    level of the input.device but no higher.  Can I assume the task will
    be called input.device and hence traverse the task ready/waiting lists
    to find the priority ?

4.  The trackdisk.device RAW_READ for 1.2/1.3 is said to fail in certain
    circumstances.  What are they?  Does Setpatch correct this?

Thanks in advance,
--
Chris Hames - C/Assembler programmer | Fish: DirWork,FSDirs,VMK..|  /~\/ \
              3:633/301.0 (Fido)     | Commercial:  Classified.  | (  OZ  )

In article <4925@monu1.cc.monash.oz> ins778u@vax4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  c.r. hames) writes:
>4.  The trackdisk.device RAW_READ for 1.2/1.3 is said to fail in certain
>    circumstances.  What are they?  Does Setpatch correct this?

	It fails usually when you have only one floppy hooked up.  It
usually works with more than one floppy.  The error returned is a wrong
length error (the length-check of the data depends on a value in a specific
memory location, which usually ends up in the 2nd trackdisk's buffer space).

	It is not fixed by setpatch.  It is, of course, fixed in 2.0.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (10/10/90)

In article <4925@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, mr  c.r. hames writes:

> Could someone help me with the following:-
>
> 1.  WITHOUT opening a window, is there a nice way to find if the a
>     custom screen is the active one?  The only way I know is looking
>     at IntuitionBase->ActiveScreen.  Is this alright or is it going to
>     break ?

I think it's allright if you
    1) LockIBase(),
    2) look at IntuitionBase->ActiveScreen,
    3) ReadWhatYouWant,
    4) UnlockIBase()
to prevent intuition to close the screen after 2) and before 3).

> 2.  WITHOUT opening a window, is there a nice way to change the pointer
>     for the screen.

I don't remember where but I did id with a sequence like this:
    - GetPrefs()
    - Modify the Intuition pointer image
    - SetPrefs()
Don't know if this works under 2.0...

> 3.  I want to give the option of changing the tasks priority to the [...]
> 4.  The trackdisk.device RAW_READ for 1.2/1.3 is said to fail in [...]

Don't know.
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (10/11/90)

In article <1806ce57.ARN01966@swinjm.UUCP> forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) writes:
>In article <4925@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, mr  c.r. hames writes:
>
>> 2.  WITHOUT opening a window, is there a nice way to change the pointer
>>     for the screen.
>
>I don't remember where but I did id with a sequence like this:
>    - GetPrefs()
>    - Modify the Intuition pointer image
>    - SetPrefs()
>Don't know if this works under 2.0...

This will change the default pointer for the whole system, not
just the one screen.  You cannot set the pointer on a screen-by-
screen basis.  You really need to set it for each window you
are using.
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky