[comp.sys.amiga.tech] NTSC on a PAL Amiga

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (10/06/90)

How does an NTSC type program look on a PAL Amiga? I'd like to be able
to send a collection of PDware to a friend in Finland. Are there
complications?

Alan Whinery
whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (10/06/90)

In article <9715@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:

>How does an NTSC type program look on a PAL Amiga? I'd like to be able
>to send a collection of PDware to a friend in Finland. Are there
>complications?
>
>Alan Whinery
>whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu

There should be no trouble as long as there is no copyprotection involved.
The programs will not fill the whole screen but unless it's videoprgms that
should be no problem.

Jorgen

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/07/90)

Who's going to be thr brave sole and post a hardware hack for
the 500 or 2000 (both preferabally)  that lets you
have a physical switch for ntsc and pal??

C'mon!!Be brave! Do something useful for your countary!

email *IS* prefered!!! but... hey.. cant expect the world!

mail: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/08/90)

In article <9715@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:
-
-How does an NTSC type program look on a PAL Amiga? I'd like to be able
-to send a collection of PDware to a friend in Finland. Are there
-complications?
-
-Alan Whinery
-whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu

They just doesn't use the lower part of the screen since NTSC has
fewer screen lines than PAL.
No complications.

Tommy P.

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct8.113633.12238@ericsson.se> etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se writes:
>In article <9715@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:
>-
>-How does an NTSC type program look on a PAL Amiga? I'd like to be able
>-to send a collection of PDware to a friend in Finland. Are there
>-complications?
>-
>-Alan Whinery
>-whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu
>
>They just doesn't use the lower part of the screen since NTSC has
>fewer screen lines than PAL.
>No complications.
>
>Tommy P.

While this is basically true there are protection-schemes that will make it
impossible to run software on both sides of the pond. These are usually as
poorly written as the disk-protection schemes making the program impossible
to run on a number of machines :-)
Sorry to be a spoil-sport but as long as it's PD-stuff there is nothing to
worry about.

Jorgen

h112706@assari.tut.fi (Herranen Henrik) (10/09/90)

In article <9715@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:

>How does an NTSC type program look on a PAL Amiga? I'd like to be able
>to send a collection of PDware to a friend in Finland. Are there
>complications?

Usually the only problem is that since we in Europe have more pixels on our
screens (ex. 640*256 vs. 640*200) there is a big blank space on the bottom
of the screen. If the program uses only CLI and doesn't start it's own
window/screen, no problems usually occur.
   I speak for myself, but I never use programs which can't adopt to PAL and
leave 20 % of the screen blank. My WorkBench size is now 736*284, which makes
the NTSC problem even worse.
   Also you should notice that the aspect ratio of pictures will become
wrong.

--
Henrik 'Leopold' Herranen  Internet: h112706@lehtori.tut.fi
Snail Mail:  TTKK/Paarakennuksen neuvonta/PL527/33101 Tampere/Finland

"I don't need no arms around me, I don't need no drugs to calm me" - PF 1979

S.J.Raybould@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Simon Raybould) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct8.113633.12238@ericsson.se> etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se writes:
>In article <9715@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:
>-
>-How does an NTSC type program look on a PAL Amiga? I'd like to be able
>-to send a collection of PDware to a friend in Finland. Are there
>-complications?
>-
>-Alan Whinery
>-whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu
>
>They just doesn't use the lower part of the screen since NTSC has
>fewer screen lines than PAL.
>No complications.
>
>Tommy P.

Thats not strictly true !

I have a copy of Tetris that switches to ntsc, the screen stretches vertically
and the top and bottom are off the screen.

The machine has to be re-booted to restore it to normal.

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
|   British Telecom Fulcrum  | name : Simon John Raybould   {^.^}   |
|   Fordrough Lane           | path : sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk   \~/    |
|   Birmingham               +-----------+--------------------------|
|   B9 5LD                   |   //      | AMIGA B2000              |
|   ENGLAND                  | \X/AMIGA  | Lattice C V5.05          |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) (10/11/90)

Here is a PAL/NTSC switch setup I developed for those machines with a BIG FAT
AGNUS...

          How to install the NSTC / PAL switch into your Amiga 2000

         This modificiation will work on a default NTSC or PAL A2000.

      First off take the cover off your machine and remove the drive and
      Power supply chassis ( disconnect the power supply and the disk
      drive ribbon cable from the motherboard...make sure you remember
      which end of the cable goes to which pins!!! ). Then remove the
      whole unit from the machine and set it aside...

        A. Now look for the FAT AGNUS chip on the motherboard, it should
           say FAT LADY near the chip....now check the number on top of
           the chip, You MUST have the new 1 Meg Agnus (Super Agnus part
           #8372).

        B. Move motherboard jumper J300 from the factory default position
           of pins 1-2 to pins 2-3. This jumper is located under the power
           supply.

        C. Locate jumper PADS (no pins) labeled J102 and cut a trace
           between the 2 pads.  BE CAREFUL!! The pads are located right
           next to the AGNUS on the left hand side ( if you are PAL
           default no need to cut the trace..since PAL is already cut)

        D. Mount a SPST switch in a convient place on the outside of the
           Amiga, perhaps next to the power on LED.

        E. Run 2 wires from the switch to the 2 pads of J102 (1 wire to
           each pad).

      That's it.  With the switch closed (on position), you'll boot in
      NTSC.  With the switch in the open position (off), you'll boot in
      PAL.

      NOTE: Most monitors will only require a minor adjustment in vertical
      sync and/or size to work in this manner.  Composite monitors will
      NOT work.

      You must re-boot for the change to take effect, since the jumper
      is only checked at power-up.  If you have problems with Genlocks
      that go in the video slot, run a SPDT switch to the J300 jumper
      to allow you to switch timing between Power supply and Video
      section sources.

                     Call my BBS - Alt-3 - (612) 228-0127
                                   Koleman

My BBS is down.  Sorry, I don't feel like editing.

You do not need to change the J300 jumper, it's just that if you don't, SI
will report 50hz video, PAL, but 60hz power supply.  IF you have J300 changed,
it reports 50hz on both (true PAL), however you don't REALLY run at 50hz, you
just pretend...

There is also a bug in the OS which causes the opening screen to be NTSC
dimesnions on a PAL display, but this doesn't happen all that much.  If you
leave your opening window open (it still is 640x200, not to be confused with
opening screen, 640x256) there is a program I wrote that will change it for
you.  I would FTP it or whatever, but I don't know how!

Kurt "Koleman" Koller - amdahl!bungia!orbit!pnet51!koleman

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/12/90)

I would also like the plans for the NTSC/PAL physical switch if someone is
BRAVE enough to post one on New Xanth, or sending me E-Mail.

Christopher Walton          :   n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
                            :   cmw1725@tamrigel.tamu.edu