[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Two Questions

bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) (04/16/89)

"don't start the body of your message with any indentation, or it may be
eaten" ???????????   This is my first post, and I'm scared...

First question:  In the same line as the discussion of turning off those
obnoxious lattice "ads" - Is there any way to get rid of the Ctrl-C break
requester code?  I couldn't find a way to do this in the manual (V 4.0)
Is this a result of linking with c.o?

Second: I've written a lot of code for audio, including a nice waveform
editor, and I've noticed a really strange phenomena.  If your waveform data
is a sine wave (supposed to produce a "pure" tone) there's little to no
sound output!!  Jagged and sharp noises are PLENTY loud, but sines are not
just soft but nearly silent.

I've tried this with many different wavelengths/frequencies, but all sines
are diminuatively quiet.  This is not my computer's fault, for other programs
like Sonix work fine - it's sine waves are soft but very audible.

My code is based on several book sources, including the RKM's.

I hope this is technical enough for this group.  If it's not, just tell me
and I'll go away quietly :-)

.............still too new to have a signature... bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <10384@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
>"don't start the body of your message with any indentation, or it may be
>eaten" ???????????   This is my first post, and I'm scared...

Very old bug, now 99.999999999% eliminated, used to eat the first the
first paragraph of messages. You can ignore it.

>First question:  In the same line as the discussion of turning off those
>obnoxious lattice "ads" - Is there any way to get rid of the Ctrl-C break
>requester code?  I couldn't find a way to do this in the manual (V 4.0)
>Is this a result of linking with c.o?

Look in the lattice manual under "Break Handling", there are a couple of
functions one onbreak() sets a pointer for the break handling, and the
more UNIX like signal() call which does the same thing. Pass onbreak()
a pointer to a function that returns 1, or use "signal(SIGINT, SIG_IGN)"
which will do just that for you.

>Second: I've written a lot of code for audio, including a nice waveform
>editor, and I've noticed a really strange phenomena.  If your waveform data
>is a sine wave (supposed to produce a "pure" tone) there's little to no
>sound output!!  Jagged and sharp noises are PLENTY loud, but sines are not
>just soft but nearly silent.

A check to see that you frequencies are lower than the low pass filter cutoff.
(Something like 7Khz) and second make sure you are setting the volume! If you
can find a copy get the "AudioTools" from Rob Peck which have some good
example routines in them for accessing Audio functions. (They are part of
the 1988 Developers Conference Notes)

>I hope this is technical enough for this group.  If it's not, just tell me
>and I'll go away quietly :-)

A most excellent question, it's the "which music program is best for me?"
types ones we'd like to leave in c.s.a.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (04/19/89)

In article <99460@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:

>>Second: I've written a lot of code for audio, including a nice waveform
>>editor, and I've noticed a really strange phenomena.  If your waveform data

>If you
>can find a copy get the "AudioTools" from Rob Peck which have some good
>example routines in them for accessing Audio functions. (They are part of
>the 1988 Developers Conference Notes)

If you can't get the DEVCON notes, I am still able to supply that version
of the Audiotools disk: $5.00 plus a blank usable disk or $8.00 and I supply
the disk: DATAPATH, POBox 1828, Los Gatos, CA 95031-1828.

The most important change between version 2 and version 3 (DEVCON/current)
is the addition of the ability to synchronize graphics and sound, by which
the audio device itself sends the user task a message that a particular
note has just begun to play.   Prior to that ability, a programmer might
have found it necessary to produce graphics, and following the graphics
output, send a note request to the audio device.  Certainly a less than
optimal means of synchronization.

And for those of you who DO have the audiotools or DEVCON version, in the
doc file (actually an update of the original Amiga World article, I suggested
8 to 10 additional enhancements that I'd like to see or make happen to the
tools --- anyone out there take that seriously and patched their version
to add these features???  If so, would you care to share it with the rest
of us (by sending such additions to me for redistribution?).  Like reading
SMUS files and other such enhancements.

Just thought I'd ask.

Rob Peck

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (04/28/89)

In article <10384@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
>First question:  In the same line as the discussion of turning off those
>obnoxious lattice "ads" -
WHICH, by the way, are LEGALLY REQUIRED if Lattice is interested at all in
keeping copyright to the program...

> Is there any way to get rid of the Ctrl-C break
>requester code?  I couldn't find a way to do this in the manual (V 4.0)
>Is this a result of linking with c.o?

To get rid of Ctrl-C code, put a function in your program called ChkAbort()
that simply returns 0.  This will take precedence over the ChkAbort() func
in the Lattice libraries and no requester code will be pulled in.  If you
simply do a signal() or install a break handler, all the Ctrl-C code will
be pulled in only to be disabled by your program.

You can check for the presence of unwanted library code by looking at
the map of your program - use the 'map hsfx' option on BLink.

--- Doug

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'll think of something yet) Meyer) (05/03/89)

In article <1018@sas.UUCP> walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
<In article <10384@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
<>First question:  In the same line as the discussion of turning off those
<>obnoxious lattice "ads" -
<WHICH, by the way, are LEGALLY REQUIRED if Lattice is interested at all in
<keeping copyright to the program...

lc1 and lc2 both understand "-." to mean "don't print copyright
notices." They can't be turned off for lc & blink.

My solution is to run PD make & cc commands. The make is closer to v7 make
than lmk, and the cc maps BSD flags to lc1/lc2 flags. Between those
two, I only see the blink copyright notices.

	<mike

--
That time we slept together				Mike Meyer
That's as far as it went				mwm@berkeley.edu

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (10/17/90)

Hallo, folks.  Got just two quick questions for you...

1)  I'm looking for a nice, easy-to-use, INTUITIVE musical editor that I
    can use to incorporate soundtracks into my own programs.  Ideally, I'd
    like to steer away from programs like MED, which force you to talk to
    the computer in its own language, and get much closer to a standard
    musical program that can handle something more akin to normal musical
    notation, or a -translated- version of that notation.  KnowwhutImean?

2)  Has anybody butchered up his/her Amiga 500 and thrown it into a different
    case, like those _terribly_ cute 'Baby Tower' cases that you find PC
    clones in?  How did it work out?  Did you find an acceptable enclosure
    for the orphaned keyboard?  Such a scheme would make hooking up a
    Denise Extender Board and FlickerFixer much more asthetic, and I could
    then get rid of a lot of my extra cabling, you know?

Thanks...

--* Christopher W. Carlson
--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //