[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Trouble with clips

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (10/17/90)

I have been testing out the C= clipboard functions under very low
memory conditions (<10k).

I have found that with CLIPS: assigned to ram:, small clips work okay,
but with it assigned to disk, the clip seems to scroll to disk okay,
but on paste, the machine crashes with an 03.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards Alan

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (10/18/90)

In article <14248@wehi.dn.mu.oz>, BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

> I have been testing out the C= clipboard functions under very low
> memory conditions (<10k).
>
> I have found that with CLIPS: assigned to ram:, small clips work okay,
> but with it assigned to disk, the clip seems to scroll to disk okay,
> but on paste, the machine crashes with an 03.

I had the same problem. The only solution I found is:
- find the data size you need to write to the clipboard
- check if AvailMem(..) > data_size + some_more_security
- if yes write it.

Of course with multi-tasking another task can allocate memory between
your AvailMem and your write, and Forbid()/Permit() is not very friendly.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/