[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Ethernet on the Amiga

blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (Dr. Blubaugh) (10/17/90)

    I've recently purchased an Amiga 2065 EtherNet card to go in my
A3000 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the beta
AS225 software.  I'm trying to set up my Amiga as a print-server. (I
know its not more useful than that :-)  I was wondering if the
inet.library is documented anywhere.  I'd possibly consider a stab at
writing NFS using it.  This isn't real high priority and maybe I can
wait for SANA to be finished but I hear that Dale isn't doing SANA
anymore and who knows when C= will get to it. (Well since they've
already got the A4000 done and WB3.0 to hear some people talking :-)

    Suddenly, everybody gets real interested in the Amiga when they see
the A3000 and learn that it can network.  I guess that now that I'm
nearly gone this school is finally considerring Amiga...

--
Dwight Blubaugh Ph.D.
UUCP: {decuac,mit-eddie,phri,pyramid}!uccba!ucqais!blubaugh.UUCP

martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) (10/18/90)

In article <2503@ucqais.uc.edu> blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (Dr. Blubaugh) writes:

>    I've recently purchased an Amiga 2065 EtherNet card to go in my
>A3000 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the beta
>AS225 software.  I'm trying to set up my Amiga as a print-server. (I
>know its not more useful than that :-)  I was wondering if the
>inet.library is documented anywhere.  I'd possibly consider a stab at
>writing NFS using it.  This isn't real high priority and maybe I can
>wait for SANA to be finished but I hear that Dale isn't doing SANA
>anymore and who knows when C= will get to it. (Well since they've
>already got the A4000 done and WB3.0 to hear some people talking :-)

Why write NFS when it is included with the TCP/IP software?
The Amiga will work fine as a print server so long as you don't
need to change the printer preferences.

blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (pri=2 Dwight Blubaugh) (10/18/90)

In <15225@cbmvax.commodore.com> martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) writes:

>In article <2503@ucqais.uc.edu> blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (Dr. Blubaugh) writes:
>>
>>    I've recently purchased an Amiga 2065 EtherNet card to go in my
>>A3000 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the beta
>>AS225 software.  I'm trying to set up my Amiga as a print-server. (I
.stuff deleted
>Why write NFS when it is included with the TCP/IP software?

I've got the beta software docs in front of me and I see that indeed the
Amiga does support NFS as a client only.  But I'd like to get peer to peer.
Also when will the inet.library be documented, just in case I get lots
of time free :-)

>The Amiga will work fine as a print server so long as you don't
>need to change the printer preferences.

But to get things remotely printed to the Amiga involves rcp and rsh or
can you rcp directly to the PRT: of the Amiga??  (I know these are silly
questions but I haven't got my machine hooked up to the network yet.)
Isn't there an lpr client availble??  And is SANA soon to be released?

--

bbaker@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Baker) (10/19/90)

In article <2516@ucqais.uc.edu> blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (pri=2 Dwight Blubaugh) writes:
> In <15225@cbmvax.commodore.com> martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) writes:
>
> >In article <2503@ucqais.uc.edu> blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (Dr. Blubaugh) writes:
> >>
> >>    I've recently purchased an Amiga 2065 EtherNet card to go in my
> >>A3000 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the beta
> >>AS225 software.  I'm trying to set up my Amiga as a print-server. (I
> .stuff deleted
> >Why write NFS when it is included with the TCP/IP software?
>
> I've got the beta software docs in front of me and I see that indeed the
> Amiga does support NFS as a client only.  But I'd like to get peer to peer.
> Also when will the inet.library be documented, just in case I get lots
> of time free :-)
>
> >The Amiga will work fine as a print server so long as you don't
> >need to change the printer preferences.
>
> But to get things remotely printed to the Amiga involves rcp and rsh or
> can you rcp directly to the PRT: of the Amiga??  (I know these are silly
> questions but I haven't got my machine hooked up to the network yet.)
> Isn't there an lpr client availble??  And is SANA soon to be released?

   Yes, you can rcp directly to the PRT: of the other Amiga!
   Just be careful not to initiate another request before the first is
   completed (at least with the current software).

> --
> Dwight Blubaugh Ph.D.
> UUCP: {decuac,mit-eddie,phri,pyramid}!uccba!ucqais!blubaugh.UUCP
> INTERNET: blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu
> Anybody want to hire a Ph.D. chemist with a computer background?????
>
> --
> Dwight Blubaugh Ph.D.
> UUCP: {decuac,mit-eddie,phri,pyramid}!uccba!ucqais!blubaugh.UUCP
> INTERNET: blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu
> Anybody want to hire a Ph.D. chemist with a computer background?????

--
|        Robert Baker          |  All opinions & comments are strictly personal  |