[comp.sys.amiga.tech] OS friendly disk stuff

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (10/12/90)

I am writing a program that uses more than 1 disk.  I would like
to come up with my own requester if the disk is not in the drive,
instead of my screen being thrown to the back, workbench brought to
the front and the system message appearing.

I need to know how to find out what disk is in the drive and whether
it is write protected, using some method that is OS friendly. (if
there is one)

I have heard that I can use FindTask(null) to find my task
structure and then modify one of the entries to make the requester
appear on my own screen, but that sounds like a bit of a hack to me.

Any method of either making requesters appear on my screen or finding
out what disk is in the drive would be ok.

Colin Adams         Life's funny but I don't laugh
Email Address -     cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au

In article <1028@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:
>I have heard that I can use FindTask(null) to find my task
>structure and then modify one of the entries to make the requester
>appear on my own screen, but that sounds like a bit of a hack to me.

	This is the operating-system supported solution.  Set pr_WindowPtr
to a window on your screen, and requesters will go there.  Make sure you
set it back to the original value before you exit (or close the window!)

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"