[comp.sys.amiga.tech] BB: device

Dennis_Grant@CMR001.BITNET (10/17/90)

     I've been doing a lot of Amiga -> BridgeBoard file transfers lately,
and I came up with an Idea.

     How hard would it be to write a BridgeBoard.device that would allow
something like:

   Copy myfile to BB:A/MYFILE

or, (in a requester, say from Professional Page)

   Print file to: BB:A/DOCUMENT.PST

Sure would speed things up...

| Dennis Grant DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET |   There ain't no replacement |
| Computer Science (Systems) student  |   for cubic displacement.    |
| at CMR.       (The "other" MilCol)  |                              |
|                All standard disclaimers apply                      |

In article <901017.10051766.033595@CMR.CP6> Dennis_Grant@CMR001.BITNET writes:
>     I've been doing a lot of Amiga -> BridgeBoard file transfers lately,
>and I came up with an Idea.
>     How hard would it be to write a BridgeBoard.device that would allow
>something like:
>   Copy myfile to BB:A/MYFILE

You can't do it from Amiga side because MS-DOS is so stupid.
Precisely: Most of the MS-DOS functions are not reentrant. So if
you interrupt from Amiga side you risk to catch the PC side in a
moment when it must not be interrupted and thus loses or corrupts
data. As far as I heard from the developers, the first attempts
for AREAD and AWRITE did things from the Amiga side, but they
learnt the hard way that this may cause big trouble on the PC side.
So they changed to the safe way and invoke these things only from
the PC side where they are sure that because of lacking multitasking
no other process can come in the way.

smp@myamiga.UUCP (Steve Palm) (10/19/90)

 PKG> for AREAD and AWRITE did things from the Amiga side, but they
 PKG> learnt the hard way that this may cause big trouble on the PC side.

 I really wish that AREAD (?) would support wildcards.  I know that the AWRITE
does, but I would like to have AREAD do it also.  My main reason for this is
that I have CrossDos installed, and it would be VERY nice ifI could put an IBM
diskette in DI0: and do an AREAD DI0:* C:\DISK /b  or something similar.

--
     ///  AMIGA: | Steve Palm, Sysop of FidoNet node 1:11/16
    ///  FOR THE | UUCP: {gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!myamiga!smp

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (10/20/90)

In article <519@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>You can't do it from Amiga side because MS-DOS is so stupid.
>Precisely: Most of the MS-DOS functions are not reentrant. So if
>you interrupt from Amiga side you risk to catch the PC side in a
>moment when it must not be interrupted and thus loses or corrupts
>data. As far as I heard from the developers, the first attempts
>for AREAD and AWRITE did things from the Amiga side, but they
>learnt the hard way that this may cause big trouble on the PC side.
>So they changed to the safe way and invoke these things only from
>the PC side where they are sure that because of lacking multitasking
>no other process can come in the way.

I don't see a problem, you can trap the MS-DOS syscall. The trap routine
sets a flag if the syscall is busy. Now, when the Amiga side needs
a call to MS-DOS it checks if a syscall is running. If there's none,
then it can call MS-DOS itself, otherwise it has to queue the request
and the trap routine has to poll the queue when the currently running
syscall exits.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (10/23/90)

In article <63.271FCC76@myamiga.UUCP> smp@myamiga.UUCP (Steve Palm) writes:
> PKG> for AREAD and AWRITE did things from the Amiga side, but they
> PKG> learnt the hard way that this may cause big trouble on the PC side.

Is it possible to create a virtual drive that the Amiga will be able
to access to?  Like, I know that you can use the BridgeBoard to create
a Virtual Drive in an Amiga Disk and be able to stuff files in there,
but the amiga can't access any information in that drive.  Is this
possible?