[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Undeletable HD Directories!

In <2217@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:
>Hello, netfolks.
>
>I've been trying to cut down the amount of trash on a hard drive that I bought
>used a month or so and have come across, as I said in the Subject: line, some
>undeletable directories.
>
>The directories in question aren't referenced by any paths or assignments and
>any effort on my part are to no avail.
>
>Is there some PD utility that I can use to scan across a hard drive (or any
>disk, for that matter) and have it verify the file structure?  I don't really
>trust DiskDoctor and don't know if it works on a Hard Drive.
>
>Can anybody help me?  I'm really at my wits' end.

Some reasons a directory might be undeletable:

1. There is an ASSIGN naming that directory. Check by typing ASSIGN by itself.
2. A PATH is set to that directory. Check by typing 'path show'.
3. The directory is not empty.
4. A program has a LOCK on the directory.
5. A program that has exited has left a LOCK on the directory.
6. A program has the directory as its current directory. (same as a LOCK)
7. The directory has the 'd' protection bit disabled.

Maybe there are more, but you might want to check all the above reasons.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (10/29/90)

Hello, netfolks.

I've been trying to cut down the amount of trash on a hard drive that I bought
used a month or so and have come across, as I said in the Subject: line, some
undeletable directories.

The directories in question aren't referenced by any paths or assignments and
any effort on my part are to no avail.

Is there some PD utility that I can use to scan across a hard drive (or any
disk, for that matter) and have it verify the file structure?  I don't really
trust DiskDoctor and don't know if it works on a Hard Drive.

Can anybody help me?  I'm really at my wits' end.

-=* Christopher W. Carlson
    niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu
--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //