[comp.sys.amiga.tech] AppIcon questions

	I was looking into how to write an AppIcon program that
would create an icon on the workbench which, if an icon were
dropped on it, the icon would be printed. It seems pretty simple.
The only question I have is how to find the exact path of the
file, as well as the name of the icon. The WBArg received
contains a name and a lock. The name doesn't seem to have a path
in it. I am not familiar with locks, and I assume that that is
where to find the answer. Also, directories don't have a name,
just an empty string. Is the lock usable anyway? I realize you
don't print a directory but it is useful for other applications.
	Thanks,
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct28.002631.27874@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>The only question I have is how to find the exact path of the
>file, as well as the name of the icon. The WBArg received
		      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Which icon?
>contains a name and a lock.

Well, the name you got is "relative" to the lock. That is, if the
lock is the current directory, then the name will open the file.
If you Examine() the lock, the name field will contain the name
of the directory holding the file. Use ParentDir() to get
the lock on the parent of the directory holding the directory
and Examine() that lock for its file name. And so on until you
get an error or a zero lock or something like that (I forget
which) at which point the name will be the name of the volume
as seen on the workbench.  For example, if the file's full
path was
   XYZ:PdQ/AbC/Big/Cube
Then you would get a lock on XYZ:PdQ/AbC/Big and the string "Cube".
Examining the lock would yield "Big" in the name. Examining the
ParentDir of the lock would yield "AbC" and so on all the way up
to yielding "XYZ".  The ParentDir() of "XYZ" probably yields zero,
if I remember right. Also remember to put a colon in the right place
instead of a slash.  I don't know how .info files work under 2.0,
so I can't help you there.               -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,