[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Mixing 1.3 FFS and 2.0 FFS

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (10/27/90)

Here's a question that I don't believe has been asked before:

Is it reasonably safe to mix the 1.3 and 2.0 fast file systems, or is a seperat
e partition a must? (Assuming I won't be hit by any unknown bugs/features in 2.
0)

Thanks.

-- Dan Babcock

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/30/90)

In article <90299.160801DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu> DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Is it reasonably safe to mix the 1.3 and 2.0 fast file systems, or is a
>seperate partition a must? (Assuming I won't be hit by any unknown
>bugs/features in 2.0)

Yes, it's safe - that's what Commodore is doing with the current A3000s.

If you boot up normally, SYS: is the WB2.0 partition and WORK: is the
general partition.  If you power on the A3000 with both mouse buttons
held down, you can select "boot Workbench 1.3" from the menu.  In this case,
SYS: is the WB1.3 parition, and WORK: is the general partition.

The WORK: partition is FFS and written to by both 1.3 and 2.0; Commodore
has taken special pains to make sure that files written by the 2.0 Fast
File System are readable by the 1.3 FFS.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms