[comp.sys.amiga.tech] IconEdit not working under 2.0

	I decided to fiddle around with the iconedit program on
my 3000. I was VERY impressed with the ability to drop the icon
right onto the window! AppIcon has its uses. 8) However, any icon
bigger than the area would just get cut off. Is this a known
problem?
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

herky@violet.berkeley.edu (George R. Nace) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct18.165719.3081@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
 es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	I decided to fiddle around with the iconedit program on
>my 3000. I was VERY impressed with the ability to drop the icon
>right onto the window! AppIcon has its uses. 8) However, any icon
                                                          ^^^ ^^^^
>bigger than the area would just get cut off. Is this a known
 ^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^  ^^ ^^^^ ^ ^^^^^
>problem?	-- Ethan
 ^^^^^^^

It certainly is to me - and I haven't found any clues in the
manual for workarounds. I thought maybe it was my unfamiliarity
with IconEdit that was the problem so I'm glad to see someone
else is having the same problem. Any gurus out there with more
experience who have a solution?

-- George R. Nace (herky@violet.berkeley.edu)

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct18.165719.3081@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	I decided to fiddle around with the iconedit program on
>my 3000. I was VERY impressed with the ability to drop the icon
>right onto the window! AppIcon has its uses. 8) However, any icon
>bigger than the area would just get cut off. Is this a known
>problem?

No; its a known 'feature'  :-)

You see, David Junod the author, is very concerned about style
issues;  in this case, he was concerned about the huge icons
that software developers seem to make for their products.  So
he decided to lead by example, and provide a useful tool which
would automatically spread his belief to the world.  :-)

Truthfully, though his solution is a bit drastic, big icons
are a pain, and I generally cut when down when I buy a software
package.  (Using DpaintIII to shrink them)

>	-- Ethan

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"He always did have a keen grasp of the obvious"

lindwall@babymilo.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) (10/25/90)

In article <15355@cbmvax.commodore.com> andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) writes:
>In article <1990Oct18.165719.3081@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>
>>	[IconEdit drop feature clips big icons]
>
>No; its a known 'feature'  :-)
>
>andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
>Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Though I'm sure others may complain about this feature, I am thankful it
was done.  It will hopefully reduce the proliferation of huge, cheesy,
looking icons.  Yes, the feature limits the creative freedom of icon
designers -- but discipline and moderation are to be admired in all
endeavors.  Is there a WorkBench style guide which addresses such issues?
--
John Lindwall			lindwall@ucsd.edu
"Oh look at me! I'm all flooby! I'll be a son of a gun!" -- Flaming Carrot

In article <13553@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> lindwall@babymilo.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) writes:
> Though I'm sure others may complain about this feature, I am thankful it
> was done.  It will hopefully reduce the proliferation of huge, cheesy,
> looking icons.

Like the AmigaVision one?

(speaking of which... how can anyone get anything done with this on a 500? I
have a 2 Meg 3000 and I keep running out of RAM)

Obligatory technical content: AmigaVision should have the ability to output
phoneme voice from a string.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

manes@vger.nsu.edu (10/31/90)

In article <6889@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <13553@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> lindwall@babymilo.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) writes:
>
> (speaking of which... how can anyone get anything done with this on a 500? I
> have a 2 Meg 3000 and I keep running out of RAM)

Funny, the box says 'Recommended hard disk and 3 megabytes of memory'

With the A590 an Amiga 500 can have 3 megabytes.

An Amiga 3000 is nearly useless with 2 meg of ram when you consider that 512k
is lost for kickstart and 'n' amount of memory is lost for the disk drive.

Solution?  Buy more memory!

> Obligatory technical content: AmigaVision should have the ability to output
> phoneme voice from a string.

I agree.

In article <152.272d9812@vger.nsu.edu> manes@vger.nsu.edu writes:
> With the A590 an Amiga 500 can have 3 megabytes.

By that time you'd have been better off with a 2000.

> An Amiga 3000 is nearly useless with 2 meg of ram when you consider that 512k
> is lost for kickstart and 'n' amount of memory is lost for the disk drive.

Funny, my 1000 with 512K isn't "nearly useless". Please, Commodore, don't
give in to the "ram is cheap, so I'll act like it's free" syndrome. My 3000
has nearly twise as much CHIP ram available than my 1000 has total!

ObTech: I tried putting a voice with pause on to wait for a voice with no
pause to finish. Didn't work. How do you do this anyway? The "wait" features
need to be expanded some.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (11/02/90)

In article <6954@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <152.272d9812@vger.nsu.edu> manes@vger.nsu.edu writes:

>> An Amiga 3000 is nearly useless with 2 meg of ram when you consider that 512k
>> is lost for kickstart and 'n' amount of memory is lost for the disk drive.
>
>Funny, my 1000 with 512K isn't "nearly useless". Please, Commodore, don't
>give in to the "ram is cheap, so I'll act like it's free" syndrome. My 3000
>has nearly twise as much CHIP ram available than my 1000 has total!

I own a 3000 and I'm pretty happy with the way it is set up.  512k is
a hell of  a lot to lose for the op sys right off the bat, but you
have the option of putting it on ROM when the chips come out, and
that'll free up space right there.  I don't think I'll do that though,
I want to be able to boot off of 1.3 at will.

I agree with you though, when I first got my 3000 the first thing I
did was upgrade the memroy when i realized that i wasn't going to be
able to do squat with it.

They should come with another meg of fast ram standard.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/03/90)

peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

> has nearly twise as much CHIP ram available than my 1000 has total!

Huh? Your A1000 has 512k chip. Your A3000 can have 20 megs chip. simple
math would detect that that is 4 times as much.
> --
> Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

[I said my Amiga 3000]

In article <s171R5w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
> Huh? Your A1000 has 512k chip. Your A3000 can have 20 megs chip. simple

I presume you mean "2.0 megs"?

> math would detect that that is 4 times as much.

I said "has available", not "might have installed". By my calculations nine
hundred and something K is "nearly twice" 512K.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.