[comp.sys.amiga.tech] WShell 1.2 and AmigaDOS 2.0

koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) (10/31/90)

So I try WShell on the 2.0 Kick, mainly because I don't want to type "rx"
before all the rexx commands.  And when I click the close gadget, WShell
interprets it as a CTRL-\ whic is fine, but it wants FIVE clicks to the close
gadget to close the window.  Any way around this?  I don't want to go back to
CONMAN, because it doesn't open with a sizing gadget and without the
"smart-refresh" window...

Thanks...

Kurt "Koleman" Koller - tcnet!orbit!pnet51!koleman

jmpor@dynam.UUCP (Jean-Marc PORCHET) (11/01/90)

>In article <3396@orbit.cts.com> koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) writes:
>

>So I try WShell on the 2.0 Kick, mainly because I don't want to type "rx"
>before all the rexx commands.	And when I click the close gadget, WShell
>interprets it as a CTRL-\ whic is fine, but it wants FIVE clicks to the close
>gadget to close the window.  Any way around this?  I don't want to go back to
>CONMAN, because it doesn't open with a sizing gadget and without the
>"smart-refresh" window...

You don't need to type rx for executing an arexx script under 2.0,
you just need to set the script bit of the file you want to execute and
voila!, that's work.

>Thanks...
>
>Kurt "Koleman" Koller - tcnet!orbit!pnet51!koleman

Best Regards,

Jean-Marc
Jean-Marc PORCHET			  UUCP	: cbmswi!dynam!jmpor
301 Mandement Road		  Phone : 41 22-754-1733
1203 Geneve
SWITZERLAND
			I'm still trying to learn english

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (11/01/90)

In article <3396@orbit.cts.com> koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) writes:

>So I try WShell on the 2.0 Kick, mainly because I don't want to type "rx"
>before all the rexx commands.

If you put your AREXX commands in the REXXC: directory and set the
script bit on them, you don't need to type 'rx'.

>Kurt "Koleman" Koller - tcnet!orbit!pnet51!koleman

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEmie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (11/01/90)

In article <3396@orbit.cts.com> koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) writes:

>So I try WShell on the 2.0 Kick, mainly because I don't want to type "rx"
>before all the rexx commands.  And when I click the close gadget, WShell

set the script bit, and the shell will invoke an Arexx script properly
also.  (don't put an extention on it unless you happen to like
typing extentions)

>interprets it as a CTRL-\ whic is fine, but it wants FIVE clicks to the close
>gadget to close the window.  Any way around this?  I don't want to go back to
>CONMAN, because it doesn't open with a sizing gadget and without the
>"smart-refresh" window...

I believe you can use the standard CON: with Wshell.  I don't know if that
will let CTRL-\ act immediately, though.

>Kurt "Koleman" Koller - tcnet!orbit!pnet51!koleman

			andy

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing about the
 problem."

sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) (11/02/90)

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) writes:

>In article <3396@orbit.cts.com> koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) writes:

>I believe you can use the standard CON: with Wshell.  I don't know if that
>will let CTRL-\ act immediately, though.

Also, you'd lose filename completion---at least, I seem to remember that FCOMP
relies on ConMan.

--
Kari Sutela	sutela@polaris.utu.fi

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (11/03/90)

>In article <15512@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>In article <3396@orbit.cts.com> koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) writes:
>>So I try WShell on the 2.0 Kick, mainly because I don't want to type "rx"
>>before all the rexx commands.
>
>If you put your AREXX commands in the REXXC: directory and set the
>script bit on them, you don't need to type 'rx'.

The ARexx command doesn't need to be in the REXXC: directory.  If it's in a directory
in the path list, and has the script bit on, you do not have to type rx.
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (11/03/90)

	RE WShell and ConMan vs. 2.0

	Um, am I to take it that these programs don't like 2.0?  'Cause the
versions I have (WShell 1.2 and ConMan 1.3c) default to smart refresh and
sizing gadget...

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"...when Fortran was introduced, it was claimed that Fortran would largely
eliminate coding and debugging!  Of course, that claim proved to be quite false"
- UNIVERSAL ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE, Robert M. Fitz & Larry Crocket

mwm@raven.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (11/06/90)

In article <bruce.4264@zuhause.MN.ORG> bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) writes:

   The ARexx command doesn't need to be in the REXXC: directory.  If it's in a
   directory in the path list, and has the script bit on, you do not have to
   type rx.

Yes, but do you get real macros (i.e. - I can issue commands back to
the shell that started the ARexx script) or just a language with an
easy-to-use System() call?

	<mike
--

ulgo@prosys.se (Ulf G|ransson) (11/06/90)

In article <3396@orbit.cts.com> koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) writes:

>gadget to close the window.  Any way around this?  I don't want to go back to
>CONMAN, because it doesn't open with a sizing gadget and without the
>"smart-refresh" window...

You CAN use ConMan, as long as you don't execute it.
First, create a new entry in your mount list, let's call it MYCON:, using
the ConMan con-handler (there are some examples on the WShell disk).
Then, instead of running ConMan, you mount MYCON: and run SetCMan
to set your favourite ConMan options. Last, open a WShell with MYCON:
instead of CON: and your problems should be solved.

>Kurt "Koleman" Koller - tcnet!orbit!pnet51!koleman

--
Ulf Goransson, Telesoft Europe AB         (ulgo@linkoping.telesoft.se)

I know what a "disc" is, but what's a "laimer"?