[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 3000 crash

jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) (11/06/90)

Here's an easy way I crash my 3000/25 with a typing error:
(it works on my setup every time, with only AddTools running
in the background):
delete #>?
(I was trying to delete all the files in a directory...)
I'm curious - any reason why this should crash my 2.01 3000?

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |

hamilton@intersil.uucp (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov6.130447.31833@wpi.WPI.EDU>, jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) writes:
> Here's an easy way I crash my 3000/25 with a typing error:
> (it works on my setup every time, with only AddTools running
> in the background):
> delete #>?
> (I was trying to delete all the files in a directory...)
> I'm curious - any reason why this should crash my 2.01 3000?

Add 2.02 to the list.  What a simple way to generate an instant, total crash!
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

hamilton@intersil.uucp writes:
> jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) writes:
>> Here's an easy way I crash my 3000/25 with a typing error:
>> (it works on my setup every time, with only AddTools running
>> in the background):
>> delete #>?
>> (I was trying to delete all the files in a directory...)
>> I'm curious - any reason why this should crash my 2.01 3000?
>
>Add 2.02 to the list.  What a simple way to generate an instant, total crash!

To add another data point, it does _not_ cause a crash under 1.3.0WB/1.2KS;
in fact, in a current directory containing files:

	longfilename1
	longfilename2

it returns with no action, while if the directory contains files

	longfilename1
	longfilename2

it does exactly what it should, and deletes the latter two.

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, ongoing comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.