[comp.sys.amiga.tech] DevPac/MonAm2

hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (henrik brinch) (11/04/90)

As I'm developing using DevPac2.08 on an Amiga 3000-25-100 I would like
to know if there's anybody out there, who have GenAm working perfectly
using single-stepping (on A3000) ?  Because when I single-step, the adress-
indicator doesn't move!  It's the same when I run it on Kick1.3 as on Kick2.0!
I hope they'll make a debugged version of that (please HiSoft!).
Can anyone recommend me another assembler with as good a debugger as in
DevPac Amiga ?  (That's the only reson why I use that package).

| Henrik Brinch  |  Fidonet 2:230/112.3          |          Using          |
| Kloevervej 7   |  cbmehq!cbmdeo!icoast!hbrinch |     Amiga 3000-25-100   |
| DK-2800 Lyngby |  Tel. +45 42 87 67 23         |        UUCP 1.06D       |
\           "C is SILVER - But most of the times 680xx is GOLD"            /

chem194@canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis, programmer at large, chemistry department) (11/08/90)

In article <hbrinch.0245@icoast.UUCP>, hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (henrik brinch) writes:
>As I'm developing using DevPac2.08 on an Amiga 3000-25-100 I would like
>to know if there's anybody out there, who have GenAm working perfectly
>using single-stepping (on A3000) ?  Because when I single-step, the adress-
>indicator doesn't move!  It's the same when I run it on Kick1.3 as on Kick2.0!

I'm using DevPac fine on a 2500/030 ( effectively same as 3000 ), but I
know that the early ( 2.0 ) version of Monam2 barfed on 030's. Monam2
2.05 ( which is what I'm currently using ) works fine - so check the
version number on monam ( as genam and monam have their own, independent
version numbers ) and get onto hisoft for an upgrade if need be.

I've also had a look at a beta-release of DevPac-pro, which is a full
030 version of Genam (fpu support, all 030 extensions - very very nice ),
unfortunately Monam hasn't had any work done on it yet ( apart from the dual
machine debugging ) but hopefully the final version of it will support the
030/881/851 too ( as in be able to disassemble fpu code and view fpu regs )

hang in there - DevPac is _still_ the best integrated m/c development system!

| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |
| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |
| o                                                      o |
| o  co-sysop AmigaINFO BBS,1200/2400 baud CCITT,        o |
| o           24 hours a day, ph NZ +3-3371-531          o |

In article <1990Nov8.100654.9707@canterbury.ac.nz> chem194@canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis, programmer at large, chemistry department) writes:
>In article <hbrinch.0245@icoast.UUCP>, hbrinch@icoast.UUCP (henrik brinch) writes:
>>As I'm developing using DevPac2.08 on an Amiga 3000-25-100 I would like
>>to know if there's anybody out there, who have GenAm working perfectly
>>using single-stepping (on A3000) ?

>I'm using DevPac fine on a 2500/030 ( effectively same as 3000 ), but I
>know that the early ( 2.0 ) version of Monam2 barfed on 030's.

The main difference between the A2500/30 and the A3000 in this case is the
memory addressing.  On an A2500/30, you're still happy with 24 bit addressing
unless there's any A2630 expansion memory (unlikely, since to my knowledge
there's only one such board in the world...).  The A3000's Fast memory is
well out of the 24 bit address range of the original 68000.  While it would
seem rather silly for a program like a Debugger of all things would be unable
to use full 32 bit addresses, it's a good explanation of the problem you're
having.

I have actually used DevPac myself on an A2500/30, but never on an A3000.  I
did find it to be a decent integrated assembler system, though I'm not all that
sure there's a need to have an integrated assembler system on the Amiga, since
with AREXX you can build your own integrated system from your favorite pieces.

>| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM