[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga clocks

rrs@neabbs.UUCP (RONALD VAN EIJCK) (11/06/90)

Dear amiga clock guru,

One of our programms, a 24 our a day 365 days a year remote controlled,
programmable slideshow, we are having trouble with the Amiga clocks
(internal and external).
1. sometimes the amiga internal clock runs 18 seconds a minute fast.
   The cause of this is unknown but the machine stands in a
   cable tv headstation so ?

To avoid problem number 1 we have a background task that reads the external
clock (battery backedup clock) every 30 seconds. this looks like:
  FOREVER
  {
   Execute("Setclock load",input,output); /* input and output are nil: */
   Delay(1000) /* pal land 30 seconds */
  }

2. Sometimes the clock sets itself at 1-1-1978 (ami's first day of life).

3. Sometimes the clock is a couple of weeks|months fast|slow.

4. Sometimes the clock is unset unset unset after a reset.

If you have any clue about the cause and/or solution of these problems
please help us out!

Thanx in advance.

 |  Ronald van Eijck             R&R Software             rrs@neabbs.uucp  |
 |                     I wan't more colors in my Amiga                     |

arc@desire.wright.edu (11/09/90)

In article <475419@neabbs.UUCP>, rrs@neabbs.UUCP (RONALD VAN EIJCK) writes:
> Dear amiga clock guru,
>
> One of our programms, a 24 our a day 365 days a year remote controlled,
> programmable slideshow, we are having trouble with the Amiga clocks
> (internal and external).
> 1. sometimes the amiga internal clock runs 18 seconds a minute fast.
>    The cause of this is unknown but the machine stands in a
>    cable tv headstation so ?
>
> To avoid problem number 1 we have a background task that reads the external
> clock (battery backedup clock) every 30 seconds. this looks like:
>   FOREVER
>   {
>    Execute("Setclock load",input,output); /* input and output are nil: */
>    Delay(1000) /* pal land 30 seconds */
>   }
>
> 2. Sometimes the clock sets itself at 1-1-1978 (ami's first day of life).
>
> 3. Sometimes the clock is a couple of weeks|months fast|slow.
>
> 4. Sometimes the clock is unset unset unset after a reset.
>
> If you have any clue about the cause and/or solution of these problems
> please help us out!
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
>   -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  |  Ronald van Eijck             R&R Software             rrs@neabbs.uucp  |
>  |                                                                         |
>  |                     I wan't more colors in my Amiga                     |
>   -------------------------------------------------------------------------

  If you are having those probs it could be these things:

 Your clock battery is screwed.
 Your CIA's are bad (They provide some system-dependant timing, etc.)
 That's about it.  Welp, later!

ovb10@cs.kun.nl (Patrick Atoon) (11/09/90)

rrs@neabbs.UUCP (Ronald van Eijck) writes:

>2. Sometimes the clock sets itself at 1-1-1978 (ami's first day of life).
>3. Sometimes the clock is a couple of weeks|months fast|slow.

And I thought I was the only one who had this! Maybe it's the expansion;
I own a 2Mb expansion (with a silly "shoe" for Gary) from RossMuller.

My first 512K expansion never had these problems.

| Patrick Atoon           |  "READY.                  |
| University of Nijmegen  |   ?OUT OF DATA ERROR."    |
| E-mail: ovb10@cs.kun.nl |                      C=64 |