[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Gratuitous flame about terminology

Dave Haynie, but it could have been anyone, wrote:
> ...the A3000 got a different realtime clock...

It's not a *realtime* clock. A realtime clock is something like the CIA timers.
What the A3000 got is a new "time of day" clock.

(I'm sorry, but this sort of thing ticks me off. Like the IBM-PC bozos claiming
 that their custom line-drawing character set is "ANSI graphics". The closest
 thing to ANSI graphics is the NAPLPS graphics primitive. Hell, the IBM
 character set isn't even compatible with the DEC vt100 character set, and the
 vt100 is the most common ANSI terminal in the world)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

johnhlee@flute.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) (11/10/90)

In article <7011@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>It's not a *realtime* clock. A realtime clock is something like the CIA timers.
>What the A3000 got is a new "time of day" clock.

This you'll have to explain to me, Peter.  *Both* are realtime clocks (the
TOD and CIA timers) in every sense of the word that I know of.  What
kind of distinction are you using?

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.