[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A3000 DOS questions

aoe@hpfcso.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) (10/29/90)

mcafee@elmst.enet.dec.com (Steve McAfee) writes:
>I've noticed a few minor problems on my A3000/25 under 2.0
>and I was wondering if anyone else has observed these:
>6. Sometimes when I warm-boot 1.3, on the white screen that momentarily
>   flashes up, I see a thin vertical black bar.  ...

My A3000/25-100 has done this since I first got it at the end of July.  Appears
to be standard behavior.

Alexander Elkins (aoe@hpfiaoe.HP.COM)

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (10/31/90)

In article <9310014@hpfcso.HP.COM> aoe@hpfcso.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) writes:
>mcafee@elmst.enet.dec.com (Steve McAfee) writes:
>>6. Sometimes when I warm-boot 1.3, on the white screen that momentarily
>>   flashes up, I see a thin vertical black bar.  ...
>
>My A3000/25-100 has done this since I first got it at the end of July.  Appears
>to be standard behavior.

My rather unprofessional guess is a trashed sprite pointer.
It happens on my A3000 as well.  Of course, my A3000 *never* crashes :)
Recall that under 1.3, it was possible to crash the system such that the mouse
pointer was still moving on the bottom scan-line?  Now if my A3000 was as slow
as my A500 I'd be able to check and see.... :)

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me
								(and Calvin)

In article <3323@ryn.esg.dec.com> mcafee@elmst.enet.dec.com (Steve McAfee) writes:
>2. info reports some wierd inconsistences for RAM devices:
>
>	Mounted disks:
>	Unit      Size    Used    Free Full Errs   Status   Name
>	VD0:        1M       9    4085   0%   0  Read/Write RRD
>	RAM:       47K      47       0 100%   0  Read/Write Ram Disk
>	WB_2.x:     6M    5089    7208  41%   0  Read/Write System2.0
>	DF0:      No disk present
>	Work:      41M   29565   56085  34%   0  Read/Write Work
>
>	If I do a list on the ram: device I've actually used 47 blocks.  This
>	means the size should be 24K not 47K.

	Except that RAM: now uses 1K blocks, not 512-byte blocks.  Note there
is a bug in the current ram where one of the calls returns that it uses 512
byte blocks.  It also does optimization on small file to only allocate the
minimum space required to store them (good for env: variables).

>6. Sometimes when I warm-boot 1.3, on the white screen that momentarily
>   flashes up, I see a thin vertical black bar.

	It's a 1.3 KS bug - it interacts with the sprite hardware (I think
it only happens because the processor is so much faster).

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"