[comp.sys.amiga.tech] AFS in Amiga UNIX

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/09/90)

I'm going to post this one last time.  I have received absolutely no
response on this one:

Does Amiga UNIX have AFS (Andrew File System) running?  If not, are there
any plans to do so?  AFS is beautiful.  Please C= UNIX and software
crew, give me an answer.
			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov9.090247.8731@engin.umich.edu>,
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
|> I'm going to post this one last time.  I have received absolutely no
|> response on this one:
|>
|> Does Amiga UNIX have AFS (Andrew File System) running?  If not, are there
|> any plans to do so?  AFS is beautiful.  Please C= UNIX and software
|> crew, give me an answer.
|> 			Thanks, Ralph

I've heard of AFS.  It's supposed to be great.  Something like NFS but
much better, right?

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/13/90)

In article <134019@pyramid.pyramid.com> telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) writes:
>I've heard of AFS.  It's supposed to be great.  Something like NFS but
>much better, right?

Right.  AFS is faster, more stable and provides for better control where
security is concerned.  It is more suited to distributed file service also.
It is at least 10x faster than NFS in most cases.  The reason for this is
that it caches the file on your local disk (assuming you have one 8-) so
you don't have to send things over the network time and again whenever you
access the file.  This cache is filled in an LRU style.
			See ya, Ralph