[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SAS/C 5.10

carpente@corinth.uucp (Michael A. Carpenter OSBU North) (10/04/90)

Hello netters,

This is my first message to the netnews, so please go easy on me if
this question has been asked before or if I screw something up
terribly.

Background:  I got SAS/C 5.10 (used to be Lattice) recently.  For
me this is an upgrade to version 3.something (I haven't exactly been
keeping up, have I?).  So this may also happen in Lattice 5.0, I
don't know.  I am running on an A1000 with just two floppy drives
(no hard disk) and two MB RAM.  The way I would like to run is this -
make a recoverable RAM disk and put the C: commands, the compiler,
linker and LMK in RRD:C, then put the floppy with the libraries and
header files in one drive and the floppy with my source code in the
other drive.  (This means that my workbench disk is not in any drive,
but that should be ok, because I have C: assigned to the RAM disk.)

My problem is:  When I compile, the CLI hangs after the compiler gives
its' banner and reports "Compiling hello.c".  On the other hand, if I
put my WorkBench disk in and put the source in RAM, then it works
fine, but the first thing it does during a compile is access the Work-
Bench disk!!  So if I want to compile my source from floppy, I have to
put the WorkBench disk in and swap it and the header/library disk.

My question is:  WHY??  What is it trying to get from the WorkBench
disk.  I tried moving the important stuff to RAM and reassigning L:,
FONTS:, S:, etc., but it still wants that WB disk.  How can I get
around this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael Carpenter

castorca@EA.USL.EDU (Christian Castor) (10/06/90)

In article <549@roo.UUCP>, carpente@corinth.uucp (Michael A. Carpenter
OSBU North) writes:
>Hello netters,

Howdy.

[STUFF DELETED]

>My problem is:  When I compile, the CLI hangs after the compiler gives
>its' banner and reports "Compiling hello.c".  On the other hand, if I
>put my WorkBench disk in and put the source in RAM, then it works
>fine, but the first thing it does during a compile is access the Work-
>Bench disk!!  So if I want to compile my source from floppy, I have to
>put the WorkBench disk in and swap it and the header/library disk.
>
>My question is:  WHY??  What is it trying to get from the WorkBench
>disk.  I tried moving the important stuff to RAM and reassigning L:,
>FONTS:, S:, etc., but it still wants that WB disk.  How can I get
>around this problem?

   The problem in your configuration is that you have omitted a couple
of files in your C: directory. You must have the "RUN" and "ENDCLI"
commands included in your command search path.  If you miss any of
the two, you'll experience the problems you describe.

   What I do, is make both "RUN" and "ENDCLI" resident at the startup
sequence.  That takes care of the problem.   Alternatevely, you may
just copy the files to your RAM C: directory, and presto!

>Thanks in advance for any help.

   You are welcome.

>Michael Carpenter

-Christian Castor

--
# include <std_disclaimer.h>

-----///----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ///  (318) 232-2045 (voice) - INET: castorca@ea.usl.edu - CIS: 73030,2734
\\\///   PeopleLink: ChrisC - Snail: USL Box 43402 - Lafayette, LA 70504-3402
-\///-------------------------------------------------------------------------

lordbah@bisco.kodak.COM (Lord Bah) (11/15/90)

I posted this a couple of weeks ago but apparently it fell into the
bit bucket, so here goes take 2:

PROBLEM ONE - Volume nil

At the end of the link process I get a requester, twice, to please
mount volume "nil".  Now, "nil:" already exists, because I run DCron
redirected there, so I don't know what it's talking about.

Telephone support from SAS says they have problems with the ARP Shell,
which I am using, but I just can't figure this connection, especially
since it didn't happen with 5.04.  Has anyone else had this problem
and have you found a solution?

PROBLEM TWO - Unresolved symbols

Compiling someone else's program, at link time I get unresolved symbols
with names like _CXV53.  I can't find any set of compiler/linker options
that produce this symbol in a visible form, so I don't know what it's
talking about.  Any ideas, anyone?

    Jeff Van Epps    amusing!lordbah@bisco.kodak.com
                     lordbah@cup.portal.com
                     sun!portal!cup.portal.com!lordbah