[comp.sys.amiga.tech] getty, VLT, and modem0.device

yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) (11/07/90)

First, my setup (just to get this out of the way)

Amiga 2500/30 (stock)
VLT 4.846
getty as distributed with AmigaUUCP_PLUS 1.02 (equiv. to 1.06D version??)
Supra 2400zi internal 2400 baud modem, using (apparently) version 1.7 of
   modem0.device.

I have been experimenting with AmigaUUCP+ since it arrived on abcfd.  Right
now, until my link to a mail feed gets established, I have only been using
getty to field incoming calls to my Empire (2.2w) server.  The problem occurs
when I use VLT while getty is running.  getty gets out of the way as it is
supposed to, and my outgoing calls work fine, but after certain actions (eg,
if I hang up the modem with VLT -- this is the only one I can currently
reproduce, though I think there may be others), getty will seemingly
disappear.  status reports it is gone, and so does Xoper.  Often, if I
attempt to restart getty after this has happened, the machine will crash, and
when it does guru, it's a 00000004.xxxx - type guru (which one is this?  I never
bother to try to keep them straight).  I think that it may be a problem with
the interaction between the modem0.device and getty, possibly even a bug in the
device itself, but I really don't have a clue.

If anyone out there has a more current version of the modem device (the
version # shows up as an icon on the supra disk that came with the 2400zi), I
would appreciate a message to that effect, so that I can contact Supra and
find out how to get it.

Also, is there anyone who has a verifiedly stable getty running?  I am about
to dive into Matt's source, but I really haven't the time...

Any ideas at all will be appriciated.

ken

--
     Ken Yarnall                 ///   yarnall@usceast.cs.scarolina.EDU
      Math Department, USC   \\\///   yarnall@ucseast.UUCP

yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) (11/07/90)

I thought I'd do a little investigating so I could say exactly what's going
on.

In article <1990Nov7.050320.11615@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> I write:
+
+  [stuff that doesn't need repeating]
+
+						..........The problem occurs
+when I use VLT while getty is running.  getty gets out of the way as it is
+supposed to, and my outgoing calls work fine, but after certain actions (eg,
+if I hang up the modem with VLT -- this is the only one I can currently
+reproduce, though I think there may be others), getty will seemingly
+disappear.  status reports it is gone, and so does Xoper.  Often, if I
+attempt to restart getty after this has happened, the machine will crash, and
+when it does guru, it's a 00000004.xxxx - type guru (which one is this?

Here's an example.  getty is run in the background, with the command

  run >nil: <nil: getty -Smodem0.device -U0 -B2400 -B1200 -Mh -m0 -r2

I fire up VLTjr 4.846, and call up anyone.  As long as I am connected,
everything is fine.  If, however, I use the hangup command (out of the menu,
or right-A-H), then there is a bit of disk activity, and getty is gone.  If I
quit VLT, and then try to either restart VLT or restart getty, we get a
software falure.  The last two times I tried it, I got a 00000004.xxx when I
tried to restart VLT, and then when I repeated the experiment, and try
restarting getty, I got a 00000003.xxx (yeah!  Ain't never gotten one of
those, before!).

Any ideas?

ken
--

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (11/09/90)

yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) writes:
>but after certain actions (eg,
>if I hang up the modem with VLT -- this is the only one I can currently
>reproduce, though I think there may be others), getty will seemingly
>disappear.  status reports it is gone, and so does Xoper.  Often, if I
>attempt to restart getty after this has happened, the machine will crash, and
>when it does guru, it's a 00000004.xxxx - type guru

I think it is a problem with VLT, the 68030, and modem0.device.  VLT will
hang itself, and eventually the machine, if I try to send a break out the
Supra 2400zi.  Also, for hanging up VLT first tries to drop DTR, and if that
doesn't work it falls back to +++ATH.

I've never tried to run any sort of getty on my machine, but I have the
same trouble.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) (11/10/90)

In article <jwright.658148698@quonset> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
+yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) writes:
+>but after certain actions (eg,
+>if I hang up the modem with VLT -- this is the only one I can currently
+>reproduce, though I think there may be others), getty will seemingly
+>disappear.  status reports it is gone, and so does Xoper.  Often, if I
+>attempt to restart getty after this has happened, the machine will crash, and
+>when it does guru, it's a 00000004.xxxx - type guru
+
+I think it is a problem with VLT, the 68030, and modem0.device.  VLT will
+hang itself, and eventually the machine, if I try to send a break out the
+Supra 2400zi.  Also, for hanging up VLT first tries to drop DTR, and if that
+doesn't work it falls back to +++ATH.

Hmmmm.  I guess I'll try a different comm program, and see if that changes
anything.  I really like VLT, tho. :-(

I have had occasion to enjoy the occasional VLT hang, and come to think of
it, it could be related to the `send break' command.  I'll investigate.  Does
Wally follow this group?

What is the name of the program that identifies GURU numbers?  I have
forgotten...

+Jim Wright

ken
--

oliphant@telepro.UUCP (Mike Oliphant) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov7.050320.11615@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu>
yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) writes:

>First, my setup (just to get this out of the way)
>
>Amiga 2500/30 (stock)
>VLT 4.846
>getty as distributed with AmigaUUCP_PLUS 1.02 (equiv. to 1.06D version??)
>Supra 2400zi internal 2400 baud modem, using (apparently) version 1.7 of
>   modem0.device.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[description of problem deleted]

The modem0.device exibits a bug when two programs open the device in shared
mode and one or both of them uses 7-wire mode.  Crashes are likely to occur.
If you have the choice, turn of 7-wire and everything should be OK.
Unfortunately, some software ALWAYS opens the device in 7-wire mode and won't
let you change it.

--
Mike Oliphant		    UUCP: alberta!herald!telepro!oliphant
			Internet: oliphant@telepro.uucp

yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) (11/17/90)

In article <oliphant.4400@telepro.UUCP> oliphant@telepro.UUCP (Mike Oliphant) writes:
+In article <1990Nov7.050320.11615@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu>
+yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) writes:
+
+>First, my setup (just to get this out of the way)
+>
+>Amiga 2500/30 (stock)
+>VLT 4.846
+>getty as distributed with AmigaUUCP_PLUS 1.02 (equiv. to 1.06D version??)
+>Supra 2400zi internal 2400 baud modem, using (apparently) version 1.7 of
+>   modem0.device.
+    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+[description of problem deleted]
+
+The modem0.device exibits a bug when two programs open the device in shared
+mode and one or both of them uses 7-wire mode.  Crashes are likely to occur.
+If you have the choice, turn of 7-wire and everything should be OK.
+Unfortunately, some software ALWAYS opens the device in 7-wire mode and won't
+let you change it.

Not the problem here.  Neither of the programs is using 7-wire mode.

I called Supra.  Even though my Supra disk claims that the software is
version 1.7, modem0.device reports that it is 1.6.  The quite helpful guy at
Supra is mailing me an update to 1.7 -- we'll see if that helps.