[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Janus Drive/Network Drive?

rwm@atronx.UUCP (Russell McOrmond) (11/15/90)

Hi,

  I have run into a situation where I will need to 'mount' a filesystem that is
accessable to both a Bridgeboard and to AmigaDos.  I see there to be so far two
ways to do this:

 First (And I think Easiest) would be to find out how to access the File created
by MakeAB and make a handler for the Amiga that could do very simple
operations (dir/Open/write/read/close).
 Write a Network Filesystem for the Bridgeboard side of things that could access
the Amiga's filesystem directly. While this would be the best solution, this
I fear would be the hardest for myself (I Know nothing of writing fileystems
for MS-DOS)

  Has any work already been done by anyone on eithor of the Above? Is there a
solution to my problems with present software?

:Later

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own.  My Employer does not even
know what these networks ARE.

  Russell McOrmond   rwm@atronx.UUCP   {fts1,alzabo}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf Seibert) (11/16/90)

In article <53998.658627545@atronx.UUCP> rwm@atronx.UUCP (Russell McOrmond) writes:
>Hi,
>
>  I have run into a situation where I will need to 'mount' a filesystem that is
>accessable to both a Bridgeboard and to AmigaDos.  I see there to be so far two
>ways to do this:
>
> First (And I think Easiest) would be to find out how to access the File created
>by MakeAB and make a handler for the Amiga that could do very simple
>operations (dir/Open/write/read/close).
[second idea deleted]
>  Has any work already been done by anyone on eithor of the Above? Is there a
>solution to my problems with present software?

I think it is possible to do the following, if I understand correctly that
the "File" you mention is the file that contains the filesystem that is
accessed from the bridgeboard as if it were a disk.

1. You already can access it from the bridgeboard.

2. To access it from the Amiga, you need:
   2a. fmsdisk.device, by Matt Dillon.  (Available on a Fish disk,
       if I am not mistaking.
   2b. MSH, by me. (Fish disk #382)

Fmsdisk.device makes a file look like a .device, so you can use MSH
to access the File through it. Let's hope that the File just consists
of the sequence of bytes that are contained in the sectors of the
emulated disk, or it won't work. You must change the Mountlist entry
for MSH so that it uses fmsdisk.device instead of messydisk.device,
of course.

Note: I haven't tried it. I don't like those messy machines.

--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                               rhialto@cs.kun.nl
How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (11/17/90)

In article <2452@wn1.sci.kun.nl> rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf Seibert) writes:
>In article <53998.658627545@atronx.UUCP> rwm@atronx.UUCP (Russell McOrmond) writes:
>>Hi,
>>
>>  I have run into a situation where I will need to 'mount' a filesystem that is
>>accessable to both a Bridgeboard and to AmigaDos.  I see there to be so far two
>>ways to do this:
>>
>> First (And I think Easiest) would be to find out how to access the File created
>>by MakeAB and make a handler for the Amiga that could do very simple
>>operations (dir/Open/write/read/close).
>[second idea deleted]
>>  Has any work already been done by anyone on eithor of the Above? Is there a
>>solution to my problems with present software?
>
>I think it is possible to do the following, if I understand correctly that
>the "File" you mention is the file that contains the filesystem that is
>accessed from the bridgeboard as if it were a disk.
>
>1. You already can access it from the bridgeboard.
>
>2. To access it from the Amiga, you need:
>   2a. fmsdisk.device, by Matt Dillon.  (Available on a Fish disk,
>       if I am not mistaking.
>   2b. MSH, by me. (Fish disk #382)
>
>Fmsdisk.device makes a file look like a .device, so you can use MSH
>to access the File through it. Let's hope that the File just consists
>of the sequence of bytes that are contained in the sectors of the
>emulated disk, or it won't work. You must change the Mountlist entry
>for MSH so that it uses fmsdisk.device instead of messydisk.device,
>of course.
>
>Note: I haven't tried it. I don't like those messy machines.

be careful if you do this: both the pc and the amiga will have various
bits of information about the filesystem cached, and if either side
changes something, the change won't be seen by the other side, potentially
causing corruption of the ms-dos file structure and loss of data.  it is
very much unsafe unless one side is not connected to the fake ms-dos disk
file at all.

>>  Russell McOrmond   rwm@atronx.UUCP   {fts1,alzabo}!atronx!rwm
>--
>Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                               rhialto@cs.kun.nl
>How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE (hopefully sometime this year)
"Have you hugged your hog today?"