[comp.sys.amiga.tech] VLT/Supra 2400zi modem0.device bug

yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) (11/10/90)

I have investigated, and found the following bug.  VLT (v. 4.846) will crash
if you attempt to send a break to your Supre 2400zi.  This is independent of
the processor you use (68000 or 68030), and does not occur if you use the
serial.device.  Thus, I am leaning toward the possibility that the bug lies
in modem0.device, but I guess this hasn't been proved.  Does Supra have a
net.presence?  This bug is probably causing the problems that I reported
eariler between getty/VLT/modem0.device.  I am still looking for answers.

ken
--
     Ken Yarnall                 ///   yarnall@usceast.cs.scarolina.EDU
      Math Department, USC   \\\///   yarnall@ucseast.UUCP

milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.234629.24885@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) writes:
[...]
>if you attempt to send a break to your Supre 2400zi.  This is independent of
>the processor you use (68000 or 68030), and does not occur if you use the
>serial.device.  Thus, I am leaning toward the possibility that the bug lies
>in modem0.device, but I guess this hasn't been proved.  Does Supra have a
>net.presence?  This bug is probably causing the problems that I reported
[...]
>     Ken Yarnall                 ///   yarnall@usceast.cs.scarolina.EDU

  A few months ago I was writing a term program for the Amiga and noticed
that while it worked fine with serial.device, I had to modify the code to
work with modem0.deivce.. I believe it assumed you reset the io_Length
field to 0 or some such.. Also when I used modem0.device, there was a net
memory loss of 24 bytes.  Not really worth worrying about, but both sloppy
programming mistakes..

--
+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+
|   // Daryl S. Cantrell                |   These opinions are       |

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov9.234629.24885@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu>, Ken Yarnall writes:

> This bug is probably causing the problems that I reported
> eariler between getty/VLT/modem0.device.  I am still looking for answers.

   At least one related problem exists in modem0.device - if it is asked to
open in shared mode twice, with different settings the second time, it will
crash immediately. Found this when I happened to run TrapDoor on top of
uucico. Could even be the same bug...

                                      -Henrik

|                       Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data                    |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
\__"Do not accept the heart that is the slave to reason" - Qawwali trad__/

yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) (11/15/90)

+
+> This bug is probably causing the problems that I reported
+> eariler between getty/VLT/modem0.device.  I am still looking for answers.
+
+   At least one related problem exists in modem0.device - if it is asked to
+open in shared mode twice, with different settings the second time, it will
+crash immediately. Found this when I happened to run TrapDoor on top of
+uucico. Could even be the same bug...

This is almost certainly the one that was biting me.  I'll have to look into
it.  Does anyone know if Supra's updated their code?

+                                      -Henrik

ken
--

paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) (11/18/90)

>In article <1990Nov9.234629.24885@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) writes:
>I have investigated, and found the following bug.  VLT (v. 4.846) will crash
>if you attempt to send a break to your Supre 2400zi.  This is independent of
>the processor you use (68000 or 68030), and does not occur if you use the
>serial.device.  Thus, I am leaning toward the possibility that the bug lies
>in modem0.device, but I guess this hasn't been proved.  Does Supra have a
>net.presence?  This bug is probably causing the problems that I reported
>eariler between getty/VLT/modem0.device.  I am still looking for answers.

modem0.device may have yet another problem. Using Whap! V1.9C (the CIS
automated telecomm program) I cannot upload files without incurring
hundreds of read errors. Downloading is no problem. I am using the
current release of modem0.device, but the problem seems to be apparent
on earlier version of the driver. Of course, I don't know if it is the
driver - just guessing at this point.
--

                                /\  /\
                               //\\//\\