[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Mail vs. Followup

ggk@tirith.UUCP (Gregory Kritsch) (11/18/90)

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>This is about the fourth question I have seen today, asking for 'email because
>I don't read the news often'. I bypassed the others, and was tempted to bypass
>this one too, foir a number of reasons. First, I think that if you ask a
>question, and the answer is of general interest, it is better to have the

This is somewhat of a dilemma, which I am trying to solve myself.  A
"followup and mail response" option would be perfect, in which your
followup post was mailed to the From: address.

>answer posted to the net for the benefit of all. Second, it is far easier for
>me to just hit the function key within CED to reply to a message than it is to
>try to dig out the proper mailing address, hoping all the while that the one I

Strange, on my Amiga it's just as easy for me to hit 'F' for followup as
it is to hit 'M' for mail reply, and both work really well.  (But then,
thats what you get when you code your own).  Not reading the news is a
valid excuse if the person is silly enough to try to read
comp.sys.amiga, I'm told.

>decide to use will actually work. Third, I think that if you want the benefit
>of having questions answered, you might be better off reading the news, since
>your question might already have been answered.

Plus, it prevents the normal syndrome of getting a large number of
article is posted to the net, net "rules" are that before you post a
followup, you should check for other followups that say the same thing.
(I personally implement this with the 'D' delete article key (not the
same as cancelling), since I don't lose my train of thought that way).

--
  Gregory Kritsch                          | University of Waterloo
    Fido:  1:221/208.11110  [1:163/109.30] | 1A Computer Engineering