[comp.sys.amiga.tech] *** Error code...

graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu (JIM GRAHAM) (11/16/90)

I've been trying to run a program I recently downloaded.

The problem is, it will start to run, windows will open, etc.
but then, a red-blinking requester appears with the message

  "Don't Panic....
   HiSoft Basic exception error #18
   Press the left mouse button..."

Can anyone tell me what this error message means?
The program was compiled under HiSoft...obviously.

Thanks.
-Jim

-> ->Disclaimer: I'm not ashamed of what I say. <- <-
     Sorry if the above disclaimer is too long.
| Internet: graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu                  |
| UUCP:     dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu             |
| FIDO:     Soon!                                          |
| BBS:      The PORTAL DOLMEN, (812) 334-0418, 24hrs.      |
|__________________________________________________________|

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (11/18/90)

HiSoft BASIC does not list any errors as number18. It skips from 17 to 19
in one error list, and another skips from 17 to 20. It must be their secret.

My HiSoft Question:
How do I read the directory so that a user can select a filename with the
mouse? I want a file requestor, such as with all common programs.
I heard it can be done using the libraries. Can a library be compiled and
stored in the executed code? Is there any BASIC compiler that can do that?
Only the HiSoft Library can be stored that way, as far as I know. :)
DDavid Tiberio    SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605    AMIGA

andyw@bert.ER.Bell.CA (Andy Wright) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov18.014104.12841@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>HiSoft BASIC does not list any errors as number18. It skips from 17 to 19
>in one error list, and another skips from 17 to 20. It must be their secret.

I think that the original question was refering to a Fatal Run time error.
The kind where a red Guru box appeares at the top of the screen.  If this
is the type of error the #<number> refers the that last physical line
number, if the line number option was on.  Are you maybe looking in the
compiler error message list ?

>My HiSoft Question:
>How do I read the directory so that a user can select a filename with the
>mouse? I want a file requestor, such as with all common programs.
>I heard it can be done using the libraries. Can a library be compiled and
>stored in the executed code? Is there any BASIC compiler that can do that?
>Only the HiSoft Library can be stored that way, as far as I know. :)
>DDavid Tiberio    SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605    AMIGA

This can be done using the ARP library. See the demos that came with the
compiler package.  GetFile.BAS
--
Who:  Andy Wright Scarborough, Ontario Canada
home: {utzoo}!censor!bert!orion!andyw _or_ {utzoo}!censor!orion!andyw