[comp.sys.amiga.tech] General A3000/Unix questions.

gt8931a@prism.gatech.EDU (MARKHAM,ANDREW WILLIAM) (11/21/90)

I'm thinking of buying an A3000 in the near future, before I do can anyone
answer these questions ??

1) Does anyone know who sells the cheapest 25Mhz system.

2) What version of Unix is going to be released and when ?

3) How compatable has the A3000 been with existing A2000 software/hardware.

4) Finally, are there plans to release a 68040 system ie. not one that has
   a 68040 card but has it as the main cpu.

Thanks.
--
Andrew W. Markham		ICS Georgia Tech 	GO BULLS!!!
gt8931a@prism.gatech.edu				GO HEELS!!!

milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) (11/21/90)

In article <17393@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt8931a@prism.gatech.EDU (MARKHAM,ANDREW WILLIAM) writes:
>I'm thinking of buying an A3000 in the near future, before I do can anyone
>answer these questions ??
>
>1) Does anyone know who sells the cheapest 25Mhz system.

  Judging from your address at Georgia Tech, probably Comodore itself
through the student discount program.  $3054 for the A3000/25-50 w/ a
A1950 multisynch monitor.  Shippping included, no tax in GA.

>2) What version of Unix is going to be released and when ?

  V.4 (I believe) and soon.

>3) How compatable has the A3000 been with existing A2000 software/hardware.

  Reports vary, but I personally have found that almost all of the "ap-
plications" I used on the 2000 work on the 3000.  Copy-protected games
actually surprised me, I have gotten >50% compatibility (HINT: Copy the
game w/ Project D or some such and use the copy, not the original.  Many
times the copy-protection scheme will be removed.).

>4) Finally, are there plans to release a 68040 system ie. not one that has
>   a 68040 card but has it as the main cpu.

  Are you looking for someone from COMMODORE to talk about an UNRELEASED
product, HERE?  Forget it.  The people from cbmvax.commodore.com have
proved every bit as adept at shutting up as the rest of us have at trying
to wheedle information out of them..

>Andrew W. Markham		ICS Georgia Tech 	GO BULLS!!!
>gt8931a@prism.gatech.edu				GO HEELS!!!

--
|   // Daryl S. Cantrell                |   These opinions are       |