[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A3000 questions

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (11/20/90)

  I just got my A3000 25/50, and I have a few questions about it.

1) When using the normal hires interlaced mode, I notice a terrible
ghosting affect when I move things arround (screens, mouse pointer
etc).  Is there a problem here, or do I have something set wrong?

2) How do I add things to the tools menu?  The manual goes to great
lengths to avoid telling how to do this :(

thanks in advance
                                               Rick Blewitt
                                               rblewitt@ucsd.edu

milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) (11/20/90)

In article <14356@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
[...]
>2) How do I add things to the tools menu?  The manual goes to great
>lengths to avoid telling how to do this :(
[...]

  Become a registered developer and find out in the autodocs.. As
far as I know that's currently the only way.
  On a side note, why did Commodore go to all the trouble of ad-
ding a menu available to the public (a much-needed feature) and
then have all it's Commodities Exchange programs interface with
the world through tiny windows and "hot-keys"?  What I'd like to
see is a screen-blanker (or a VirusX, or other "minor background"
programs) that plops an entry onto the Tools menu and only appears
when you select it.

>                                               Rick Blewitt
>                                               rblewitt@ucsd.edu

+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+
|   // Daryl S. Cantrell                |   These opinions are       |
| |\\\ milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu    |    shared by all of    //  |
| |//  Welcome to the Machine.          |        Humanity.     \X/   |
+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+

--
+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+
|   // Daryl S. Cantrell                |   These opinions are       |
| |\\\ milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu    |    shared by all of    //  |
| |//  Welcome to the Machine.          |        Humanity.     \X/   |
+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+

chanson@isis.cs.du.edu (Christopher Eric Hanson) (11/21/90)

  The other gripe I have seen alot is thus:

    I thought commodities was designed so the user could have a consistant
way of configuring all his/her pop-toys, wonderfmarlbes, and whiz-bangs.
That's great, but NONE OF THE COMMODITIES ALLOW YOU TO CHANGE THEIR HOTKEYS.

I'd love to use Autopoint, and IHelp. They are great. Bewteen those two,
and the built-in mouse acceleration, I would no longer need Mach.

But, the hotkeys that you hard-coded into the commodities (actually, IHelp
is somewhat reconfigurable by WB Tooltypes) conflict with many of the most-
used key abbreviations that UEdit, the text editor I use. Now, UEdit can be
reconfigured for all key abbreviations, but I've learned the ones I'm using
now, and I'm a stubborn guy.

   Now maybe, I'm needlessly flaming. Maybe (please tell me this is so) there
is a way to reconfigure the hotkeys that the commodities. And maybe IHelp
actually can use something other than vanilla F1-F10 (I've tried getting it
to use Control-F1, etc, but it won't recognise that...). If so, please, speak
or I will forever lose my marbles. (MIX that metaphor!) I'll send you many
cans of Macadamia nuts if you do this. Please...

   Chris - Xenon

--
#define chanson Christopher_Eric_Hanson || Lord_Xenon || Kelson_Haldane
I work, but you don't know who I work for. And they don't know I'm here.

milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.202332.5642@isis.cs.du.edu> chanson@isis.UUCP (Christopher Eric Hanson) writes:
[...]
>    I thought commodities was designed so the user could have a consistant
>way of configuring all his/her pop-toys, wonderfmarlbes, and whiz-bangs.
>That's great, but NONE OF THE COMMODITIES ALLOW YOU TO CHANGE THEIR HOTKEYS.
[...]

  If I Remember() correctly, you can change the commodities' hot keys with
a HOTKEY= ToolType in it's .info.. One thing you CAN'T do is get rid of the
hot key entirely (Which would still allow you to interface with the program
though the master CX program).  Nor can you have it attach an item to the
Tools menu instead of using a hot key (sigh..).

bill@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bill Koester) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.202332.5642@isis.cs.du.edu> chanson@isis.UUCP (Christopher Eric Hanson) writes:

>  The other gripe I have seen alot is thus:
>
>    I thought commodities was designed so the user could have a consistant
>way of configuring all his/her pop-toys, wonderfmarlbes, and whiz-bangs.
>That's great, but NONE OF THE COMMODITIES ALLOW YOU TO CHANGE THEIR HOTKEYS.

Huh. All of the commodities allow you to change their hotkeys!

>I'd love to use Autopoint, and IHelp. They are great. Bewteen those two,
>and the built-in mouse acceleration, I would no longer need Mach.

Autopoint has no hotkey to reconfigure it should not conflict with
anything.

>But, the hotkeys that you hard-coded into the commodities (actually, IHelp
>is somewhat reconfigurable by WB Tooltypes) conflict with many of the most-
>used key abbreviations that UEdit, the text editor I use. Now, UEdit can be
>reconfigured for all key abbreviations, but I've learned the ones I'm using
>now, and I'm a stubborn guy.

All Window based commodities accept the following tool types:

CX_POPUP=YES|NO  ;If YES then to commodity will open its window when run.
                  If NO it will not open its window. (good for putting
                   commodities in the WBStartup drawer)

CX_POPKEY=lshift lcommand lalt x ; Set the default hot key for the commodity.
                                   all commodities have reasonable defaults
                                    that can be changed with this tool type.

In addition IHELP supports the following tool types:

CYCLE=hotkey
MAKEBIG=hotkey
MAKESMALL=hotkey
CYCLESCREEN=hotkey
ZIPWINDOW=hotkey

The qualifiers that you can use in your hotkey strings are as follows:

alt		either alt key
lalt		left alt key
ralt		right alt key
shift		either shift key
lshift		left shift key
rshift		right shift key
lcommand	left amiga key
rcommand	right amiga key
control		control key
numericpad	must be a numeric pad key like 'numericpad 0'

>   Now maybe, I'm needlessly flaming. Maybe (please tell me this is so) there
>is a way to reconfigure the hotkeys that the commodities. And maybe IHelp
>actually can use something other than vanilla F1-F10 (I've tried getting it
>to use Control-F1, etc, but it won't recognise that...). If so, please, speak
>or I will forever lose my marbles. (MIX that metaphor!) I'll send you many
>cans of Macadamia nuts if you do this. Please...

Macadamia nuts are daveh's favorite, you can send me double Manhattans!

>   Chris - Xenon

		Bill Koester - Keeper of Commodities.