[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Hidden AmigaDos files again

inb300campbe@qut.edu.au (11/16/90)

I have seen a disk released by one of those amiga hack groups where the file
structure had been modified such that a directory would not show up in a
directory listing but could be CD'd into.

Has anybody seen this and know how to do it?  It might be worthwhile
writing a program to do it automatically (if I can find out how).

David Campbell

inb300campbe@redgum.qut.edu.au

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) (11/19/90)

Some hidden AmigaDOS files are actually saved as spaces.
Ex.- copy "    " to ram:
This is a file with 4 blank spaces as it's file name.

I don't know how Electronic Arts do it with their earlier stuff,
though.  (like Archon etc.)

GLin

sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Simon Raybould) (11/21/90)

In article <1271@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:
>Some hidden AmigaDOS files are actually saved as spaces.
>Ex.- copy "    " to ram:

That's no good at all, not at all hidden, list would show it as being present.

I too have seen disks where list, dir, e.t.c. show any empty directory but
the stuff is definatly there, how does it work ?

SJR

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
|   British Telecom Fulcrum  | name : Simon John Raybould   {^.^}   |
|   Fordrough Lane           | path : sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk   \~/    |
|   Birmingham               +-----------+--------------------------|
|   B9 5LD                   |   //      | AMIGA B2000              |
|   ENGLAND                  | \X/AMIGA  | Lattice C V5.05          |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

6600mage@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Orion Wilson the Passable) (11/22/90)

.. Yes, some hidden files are actually composed of
spaces for file names, but i think that really
hidden files can be made. (ie- can't be accessed
from a directory utility) In the case of hackers,
methinks maybe they are writing data to physical
disk locations, and they know where and how to read
it?
.. I've also seen a looping directory, wherein
a dir opt a will show a directory and within it
are a file and another directory with the same
name and contents as the first. Thus <dir opt a>
just lists for a long while..

	.. A more likely and practical way of
achieving these quirks would seem to be messing with
the file allocation table. (Do i have that name
right?) .. Kind of like messing with the bootblock,
where some really hardcore knowledge would be
neeed.

		beep

--
6600mage@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu        ##	These are
				 ##  Secrets of

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (11/22/90)

   Case in Point: ATF_Agility an Eric Schwartz ANIM. The .LHW file works fine
but there is a .info DIRECTORY that is unaccessable and the TOOLTYPE is set to
ANIM:C/Flicker but there is no C dir there.

  Strange things but all of it works fine. I can even use DMS to re-compress
the disk and it is OK.

  BUT -- The anim (done with DAS) is superb.. I bet it would be better in color
It shows off DAS's power well... It's a keeper.
--
 adam hill
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu                        Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!