[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Writing Amiga Disks on Sun Sparc Station

umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Robert Birch) (11/06/90)

  I know this has been asked before but could someone please send me the
procedure used to write Amiga disks on a sun sparc station. Also can I write
I*M disks on it too?

                                               Thanks, Robert Birch
                                             <umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov6.040011.7141@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Robert Birch) writes:
-
-  I know this has been asked before but could someone please send me the
-procedure used to write Amiga disks on a sun sparc station. Also can I write
-I*M disks on it too?
-
-                                               Thanks, Robert Birch
-                                             <umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

I'm interested in a routine to read Amiga disks on a SparcStation, and
then a utility to convert Amiga Images (Normal IFF and 24-bit) to other
formats like GIF and SUN RasterFile.

Tommy Petersson

myb100@csc.anu.oz.au (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov6.105500.5077@ericsson.se>, etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
> In article <1990Nov6.040011.7141@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Robert Birch) writes:
> -
> -  I know this has been asked before but could someone please send me the
> -procedure used to write Amiga disks on a sun sparc station. Also can I write
> -I*M disks on it too?
> -

This is coming close to another FAQ entry :-) To answer this and the
following:

> -                                               Thanks, Robert Birch
> -                                             <umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
> [...]
> then a utility to convert Amiga Images (Normal IFF and 24-bit) to other
> formats like GIF and SUN RasterFile.
>
> Tommy Petersson

The trick is to use a format both Disk drives understand: namely MS-DOS.

For the SPARCStation you need a set of programmes called MTOOLS -
available from comp.sources.misc or comp.sources.unix archives somewhere.
These provide you with a set of commands to read/write/delete/list etc.
MS-DOS formatted floppies on SPARCstations. I have a really ooooold version
of this, so I can't help you directly.

For the Amiga, get MSH (FishDisc #327) which makes the Amiga think that one
of its devices is reading AmigaDos discs, when in reality they are
MSDOS. Really neat !

Beware : Use only the 720k format, as the Amiga can't yet handle the 1.44M
stuff.

As regards the image conversion: get PBMPlus (ask in comp.graphics) for
the mainframe, and also available for the Amiga, and there's also
FBM for the Amiga - these last two are somewhere on Fish discs I think.

Have fun !

Cheers

 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank

massa@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Janich) (11/10/90)

umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Robert Birch) writes:

>  I know this has been asked before but could someone please send me the
>procedure used to write Amiga disks on a sun sparc station. Also can I write
>I*M disks on it too?

>                                               Thanks, Robert Birch
>                                             <umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

We run both, sparc2amiga and amiga2sparc.
On our sparc we only can write ONE file to the (block orientated) device
/dev/rfd0, so we use a tar file. OK.
fdformat -l formats the disk to 720k I*M format (80track, 2side, 9sec, ...),
so messydos can read it. ok.
But: The sparc writes the tar sector for sector on the disk: sec1, sec2,...
so we need a program to put all sectors in one file (it's called disk2file).
And the other way we have a program file2disk, that writes a tar file from
the amiga(tar) to the messy-disk, so you can read it via sparc(tar).

OK? You wanna have it? Do ftp athene.uni-paderborn.de with anonymous and
cd /pcsoft/amigasoft/file/; binary; get Sparc2A.lzh, includes source in
modula.

   Michael Janich, Uni Paderborn, United Germany

massa@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Janich) (11/10/90)

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:

>In article <1990Nov6.040011.7141@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Robert Birch) writes:
>-
>-  I know this has been asked before but could someone please send me the
>-procedure used to write Amiga disks on a sun sparc station. Also can I write
>-I*M disks on it too?
>-
>-                                               Thanks, Robert Birch
>-                                             <umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

>I'm interested in a routine to read Amiga disks on a SparcStation, and
>then a utility to convert Amiga Images (Normal IFF and 24-bit) to other
>formats like GIF and SUN RasterFile.

>Tommy Petersson

Read my other article about Sparc2Amiga and vice versa.
And do ftp athene.uni-paderborn.de with anonymous and cd ~massa/source;
get iff2sun.c; convert.c; cd ../bin; get ham2sun (or such a name). See
my bin3 and bin4 dirs for binaries.

   Michael Janich, Uni Paderborn, United Germany

pockrand@src.honeywell.com (Mitch Pockrandt) (11/15/90)

Every time this question comes up, the answer always involves using
MS-DOS format disks as intermediate formats in the transfer process
between Sparc and AmigaDos.

Is there any technical (hardware or software) reason that would prevent
writing a program under the Sun OS from using the local floppy drive to
write/read AmigaDos format tracks?  (or the converse on am Amiga?)

I'm fairly familiar with the Amiga layout and hardware, but have only
recently gotten access to a Sparc with a floppy drive, and I don't have
any documentation on its hardware or formats.

Mitch Pockrandt
(pockrand@src.honeywell.com)

In article <9011141815.AA01360@pokey.src.honeywell.com> pockrand@src.honeywell.com (Mitch Pockrandt) writes:
>Every time this question comes up, the answer always involves using
>MS-DOS format disks as intermediate formats in the transfer process
>between Sparc and AmigaDos.
>
>Is there any technical (hardware or software) reason that would prevent
>writing a program under the Sun OS from using the local floppy drive to
>write/read AmigaDos format tracks?  (or the converse on am Amiga?)

	I suspect it uses a standard floppy controller, and in general I don't
think those can deal with writing entire raw tracks to a disk, even if you
could get the data in the right format (even and odd bits split, checksums,
different sector headers, no sector gaps, sync marks, etc, etc).

	I'm afraid you're stuck with MSDOS-format sectored disks as an
intermediate.  It's not that bad.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

carpente@corinth.uucp (Michael A. Carpenter OSBU North) (11/17/90)

I got mtools for the SparcStation and copied a bunch of files to and from
my Amiga, using CrossDos to read the MS-DOS floppies on the other end.

Unfortunately, something is wrong and when I try to un-zoo the files that
I ftp'ed, Zoo freaks out, complains and won't un-zoo them.  If I take the
same files and transfer them from the SparcStation to a PC and then write
the disk, they are fine.

The same is true for files I bring from the Amiga and copy to the Sparc
Station.  They are messed up somehow.  (In this case they were IFF files
and IFF2SUN refused to read them because they were hosed.)

Any ideas?  I can continue to do the extra hop (Sun, PC, Amiga), but
I'd prefer to do it straight.

Thanks,
Michael
carpente@parc.xerox.com

rcpt@rw9.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) (11/20/90)

carpente@corinth.uucp (Michael A. Carpenter OSBU North) writes:
>Any ideas?  I can continue to do the extra hop (Sun, PC, Amiga), but
>I'd prefer to do it straight.

I use the sparc-mtools (ftp-ed from hydra.helsinki.fi from the directory
pub/archives/comp.misc.sources/sparc-mtools) since a week and I am very
happy with it in combination with the great `MessyDos' handler from Olaf
Seibert. This last MSDOS filehandler permits me to do an Amiga zoo:
	zoo -add msh:NiceStuff What Ever You Want

creating the MSDOS file NICESTUF.ZOO and read it into our Sparcstation
(notice the messed up things):
	mcopy a:NICESTUF.ZOO NiceStuff.zoo

and to unpack it using zoo on our UNIX box with:
	zoo x// NiceStuff

and vice versa without any problem (so far). We use the latest version
of zoo (is it 2.1?).

I have installed all mtools in /usr/local/bin which is standard for us.
I have also made an overall manual page from the README file belonging
to the mtools (see at the end).

Best copying around,

Piet Tutelaers
rcpt@urc.tue.nl

-------------------mtools.1------------------------------------------
.\" t
.TH MTOOLS 1 "version 1.6.2 - 5 Jul 89" Public
.SH NAME
Mtools \- tools for handling MSDOS floppies on SPARCstation1
.SH DESCRIPTION
This is a collection of MSDOS tools to allow you to read and write to
MSDOS formatted diskettes from a Unix based system.
.PP
The following MSDOS commands are emulated:
.PP
.TS
lll.
Mtool	MSDOS
name	equivalent	Description
_
mcopy	COPY		copy MSDOS files to/from Unix
mdel	DEL/ERASE	delete a MSDOS file
mdir	DIR		display a MSDOS directory
mkdfs	FORMAT		Format and build s DOS file system.
mmd	MD/MKDIR	make a MSDOS sub directory
mrd	RD/RMDIR	remove a MSDOS sub directory
mread	COPY		low level read (copy) a MSDOS file to Unix
mren	REN/RENAME	rename an existing MSDOS file
mtype	TYPE		display contents of a MSDOS file
mwrite	COPY		low level write (copy) a Unix file to MSDOS
*)	CD		change working directory
.TE
	*) by use of the environmental variable MCWD
.PP
The formats of IBM PC floppy disk drives are:
.PP
.TS
ccccc.
sectors	tracks	total	disk	introduced
per	per	capacity	size	in MSDOS
track	side
8	40	160k	5.25	1.0
9	40	180k	5.25	1.1
8	40	320k	5.25	2.0
9	40	360k	5.25	2.0
15	80	1.2M	5.25	3.0
9	80	720k	3.5	3.1
18	80	1.4M	3.5	3.2
.TE

.PP
The disk geometry can be kept in the environment for unusual cases,
init.c will pass "NCYL", "NSECT" and "NTRACK" to the disk parameter
setting routine (if any).  This should be documented in an "mtools"
manual page giving an overview of the whole package,  this file is a
start.
.PP
The manuals are very terse...  it's assumed that the reader is already
familiar with MSDOS.
.PP
The use of the environmental variable MCWD to keep track of the current
working directory is a little awkward, especially since there is no
'change directory' command.  Bourne shell users will have to type two
commands to initially set their working directory, ie:
.IP
.nf
MCWD=/TMP
export MCWD
.PP
Wildcards are only applied to filenames and not to directory names.  For
example '/usr/local/*.c' is appropriate, but '/usr/l*/main.c' is not.
.PP
I really wanted to avoid the use of a 'text' mode and a 'data' mode when
transferring files, but I couldn't find a better way.  It gets rather
confusing and it's quite possible to mess up a file if you apply the
text mode when it is not appropriate (ie:  to a COM or EXE file).
Likewise, if you forget to apply the text mode (to a Unix text file)
then if the file is used under MSDOS, it will be missing carriage
returns.  However, if you aren't going to use the files on your Unix
system (you just intend to hold the files and then transfer them back to
MSDOS later) then you shouldn't use the text mode during either mread or
mwrite.  This is because, the text mode is only useful if the files are
gonna be used under Unix.
.PP
The implementation of the Mcopy command is somewhat clumbsy since the
MSDOS drive designation "A:" is used.  Mcopy is really a front-end to
the low level Mread and Mwrite commands.
.PP
There are is a shell archives called "Unixpc.shar" that contain files
specific to the AT&T Unix PC 7300/3b1.
.SH "SEE ALSO"
mcopy (1), mdel (1), mdir (1), mkdfs (1), mmd (1), mrd (1), mread (1), mren (1), mtype (1),
mwrite (1),
.SH AUTHOR
.nf
Emmet P. Gray (...!uunet!uiucuxc!fthood!egray)
.PP
This manual page is a fast hack of the `Readme' file belonging to this
package (Piet Tutelaers -- rcpt@urc.tue.nl)

ONM29@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Frank Wuebbeling) (11/23/90)

There is a different approach to the problem. I translated gnutar for the
AMIGA (including the compress-Option). Then I wrote a device-handler
that allows devices to be opened as files (like, for example,
rawdev:df0) and added a feature for reading DOS-like disks (like the
SPARC Station format, for example). This one enables me to read tarred
disks on the AMIGA directly, avoiding the zoo-arc-problems.

MFG
 Frank Wuebbeling
 ONM29@DMSWWU1A.BITNET