[comp.sys.amiga.tech] format is brain dead

rick@gtisqr.uucp (Hendrik Groeneveld) (11/25/90)

I just got a Maxtor XT-8760S hard disk and ran into one small
problem, format won't format. All I can get format to do is
tell me that there is not enough memory. Why can't I format
this drive? What is wrong with format? Anybody at Commodore
care to comment? Am I stuck with a 675MB paper weight? Somebody
please help!

--
Rick Groeneveld				UUCP: {smart-host}!gtisqr!rick
Software Engineer			Bell: (206) 742-9111

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (11/25/90)

In article <1990Nov24.174524.20659@gtisqr.uucp> rick@gtisqr.uucp (Hendrik Groeneveld) writes:

>I just got a Maxtor XT-8760S hard disk and ran into one small
>problem, format won't format. All I can get format to do is
>tell me that there is not enough memory. Why can't I format
>this drive? What is wrong with format? Anybody at Commodore
>care to comment? Am I stuck with a 675MB paper weight? Somebody
>please help!
>
>--
>Rick Groeneveld				UUCP: {smart-host}!gtisqr!rick

    Use "FORMAT .... quick". Then find a way to map out bad sectors. A
developer here in Texas has the same prob with a 1.2G drive. I assumed he
eventually found a way to map out the bad sectors..

 He did tell me two good things:

Don't EVER use media that has not been mapped.
Don't EVER fill a CBM hd >95% full.. Why? He did not go in depth.

Have fun with MASS storage.... :-)

--
 adam hill
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu                        Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!