[comp.sys.amiga.tech] SAS C 5.10 bug

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (11/01/90)

Sorry I lost my preceding article so I can't give its Message-ID.
It was posted 2 days ago and was about the 'guru caught' from LC2
on the small source which used DisposeRegion(), compiled with
precompiled includes. Really sorry.

I tried to compile it with the old LC1 (5.05), and LC1 did a
DiplayBeep() with this error message: "not enough memory", but
There is 1,9 Meg available.
Finally I recompiled my includes.q (see other article) with 5.05
and recompiled the source with 5.10 --> and LC2 ran fine.
To be sure that the problem is located in the precompiled
includes, I recompiled them with 5.10, then recompiled the
source with 5.10, and yes: 'guru caught'.

So it seems that there is a bug somewhere in the compiler
when precompiling includes, or in the includes themselves but
I didn't find...
Perhaps it helps: I'm using includes not compacted.
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/

In article <1823ed03.ARN02187@swinjm.UUCP>, I wrote:

> So it seems that there is a bug somewhere in the compiler
> when precompiling includes, or in the includes themselves but
> I didn't find...

I removed #include <proto/graphics.h> from my includes.c and
after re-precompile includes with 5.10 all works fine.
Hope this helps
Jean-Michel
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/
cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmfra!swinjm!forgeas    |    The Software Winery
                                      -^-
                           And, where is the universe ?

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) (11/03/90)

In article <1823fa4d.ARN02192@swinjm.UUCP> forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) writes:
 [description of problem work-around deleted]

Have you reported your problem and the temporary solution to the tech
support people at SAS? Although Doug Walker appears on the net
once in a while, SAS doesn't have consistent net access, doesn't
usually monitor usenet newsgroups for compiler-related activity,
and doesn't use the net as an official support medium.

If you don't contact them through official channels (the fastest is by
phone: 1-919-677-8000), then the odds are good they will never know
you have a problem.

Please note they no longer have the 1-900 number.

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (11/04/90)

In article <55@oregon.oacis.org>,  Staff OACIS writes:

> In article <1823fa4d.ARN02192@swinjm.UUCP> forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) writes:
>  [description of problem work-around deleted]
>
> [...], SAS doesn't have consistent net access, doesn't
> usually monitor usenet newsgroups for compiler-related activity,
> [...]
> --
> John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute

I did not think that. Thank you very much, I will report to SAS
directy.
Best regards,
Jean-Michel
--
                                     \___/

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (11/13/90)

In article <1823fa4d.ARN02192@swinjm.UUCP>, Jean-Michel Forgeas writes:

> In article <1823ed03.ARN02187@swinjm.UUCP>, Jean-Michel Forgeas wrote:
>
> > So it seems that there is a bug somewhere in the compiler
> > when precompiling includes, or in the includes themselves but
> > I didn't find...
>
> I removed #include <proto/graphics.h> from my includes.c and
> after re-precompile includes with 5.10 all works fine.
> Hope this helps.

   There's some weirdness in the graphics .fd file - it has _two_ bias
statements. Fd2Pragma panics big way on graphics_lib.fd.

                                       -Henrik

|                       Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data                    |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
\__"Do not accept the heart that is the slave to reason" - Qawwali trad__/

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/27/90)

> In article <1823ed03.ARN02187@swinjm.UUCP>, I wrote:
>
>> So it seems that there is a bug somewhere in the compiler
>> when precompiling includes, or in the includes themselves but
>> I didn't find...
>
> I removed #include <proto/graphics.h> from my includes.c and
> after re-precompile includes with 5.10 all works fine.

Somewhere I heard that SAS C 5.1 has a known bug with #pragmas for
functions with more than 8 parameters.  That particular bug involved
something like if the function call involved an odd constant as a
parameter or some such.  Anyways, Lattice 5.05 didn't do more than
eight parameters.

You might try commenting out the pragmas for functions with more than
8 parameters (like NewModifyProp() for instance).

> Hope this helps
> Jean-Michel
> --
>                                      \___/
> Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/
> cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmfra!swinjm!forgeas    |    The Software Winery
>                                       -^-
>                            And, where is the universe ?
Mark Gooderum                 /\     \ | /     H a p p y
Academic Computing Services  / v\   -- * --         H o l i d a y s ! :-)
University of Kansas        /v  v\   / | \    ///
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX       ||     \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu     \/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible