[comp.sys.amiga.tech] DNet and remote login

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (11/23/90)

ANNOUNCEMENT:
I've found the last(?) "bug" in DNet 2.10.13's docs.
I and several others have had problems with DNet when trying to log into a
remote computer via modem (typically via a terminal server or such).

SYMPTOMS:
You dial up, and the modems connect. Then you press return, and *nothing*
happens - you can't get the promt!

A somewhat "dumb" solution to this (the one I've been using up to now) is to
use another term program to log in (or at least get past the terminal server)
and then quit it and run DNet. Of course the modem mustn't drop the line when
it senses the DTR/DSR(?) transition, i.e. when you quit one terminal program to
start another.

Yesterday I saw an article in c.s.a. that revealled the proper solution to
this annoying problem. I've asked Matt himself about this, but he didn't know
what to do, so whoever you are (I can't remember your name I'm afraid) - how
did you come to think of it???

Anyway this is how to cure it:
Edit the file s:dnet.config.
At the top there are lines reading 'AUTA 19200 "CONNECT 1200"' and so on.
There is also a comment saying "Only scanned if option -a is used"
*THIS IS NOT TRUE(!!!)* - they are always scanned. This means that when the
modem writes "CONNECT 2400" or whatever, DNet sees it and scannes dnet.config
to see what baudrate it should use.
I have a supra modem which doesn't distinguish between the modem-modem speed
and the modem-terminal speed. For a modem that *does* distinguish, the entries
in the config file are correct. Naturally you should use as high a speed as
possible between modem and computer, regardless of what the modem-modem speed
is. So Matt set it to 19200 in all cases. With my modem however, these two
speeds are the same so that when DNet changes the baudrate according to the
entry in dnet.config, it destroys the modem-modem communication also.

Simply change the entried in dnet.config to read 'AUTA 2400 "CONNECT 2400"'
and so on.

With this, my DNet finally works flawlessly. Thanks again, Matt (but you should
have written proper docs!!)

Mike

--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (11/27/90)

In article <1229@tau.sm.luth.se> d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:

>Anyway this is how to cure it:
>Edit the file s:dnet.config.
>At the top there are lines reading 'AUTA 19200 "CONNECT 1200"' and so on.
>There is also a comment saying "Only scanned if option -a is used"
>*THIS IS NOT TRUE(!!!)* - they are always scanned. This means that when the
>modem writes "CONNECT 2400" or whatever, DNet sees it and scannes dnet.config
>to see what baudrate it should use.
>
>Simply change the entried in dnet.config to read 'AUTA 2400 "CONNECT 2400"'
>and so on.
>
>With this, my DNet finally works flawlessly. Thanks again, Matt (but you should
>have written proper docs!!)
>
>Mike

    Well, nobody's perfect.  Glad you found the solution to the problem
    though!

					    -Matt

>--
>      Michael Bergman	       Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
>  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:	 d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se
>\X/   U of Lulea, SWEDEN      ARPA:	 d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>			      UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d88-mbe

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon

rpbozac@trillium.uwaterloo.ca (Roberto Bozac) (11/30/90)

In article <dillon.7364@overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>In article <1229@tau.sm.luth.se> d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:
>>With this, my DNet finally works flawlessly. Thanks again, Matt (but you should
>>have written proper docs!!)
>>
>>Mike
>
>    Well, nobody's perfect.  Glad you found the solution to the problem
>    though!

I have discovered one other little thing that people should make sure
to check if they are having problems with DNet.  Despite my best efforts
I was having a _heck_ of a hard time getting dnet running on my computer
because stty was not set quite right.  Make sure that something like
stty intr ^C   or stty dec    apppears in your .cshrc.  I guess the
default intr on my computer causes Dnet alot of grief.  Other than
that the program is most excellent, thanks again, Matt!!