[comp.sys.amiga.tech] HP48sx---> amiga ? Anyone know how?

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (12/02/90)

Well I'm WOndering if anyone out there is using a HP48sx. (The Newest HP)
connected to their Amiga.

To imform the non-knowing Public :

1) The Hp48sx is the newes HP Calculator, with built in Kermit/Serial port.
2) There are IBM and MAC "Pacakges" to connect computer to Calculator.

2) allows you to use the HP as a "math machine" and your computer as
a Mass storage device for the HP. Eases data transfer to.

I want to be able to Hook my My amiga to a HP48sx, but HP seems to be ignoring
AMIGA...

Anyone out there DOne this?

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (12/02/90)

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>Well I'm WOndering if anyone out there is using a HP48sx. (The Newest HP)
>connected to their Amiga.

>2) allows you to use the HP as a "math machine" and your computer as
>a Mass storage device for the HP. Eases data transfer to.

Just use any term program with Kermit, I'm using VLT. I understand that
the IBM software to use the HP-48 as a number crunching peripheral is
laughable, and the Mac software does not actually exist. Kermit is all
you really need.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (12/02/90)

>I want to be able to Hook my My amiga to a HP48sx, but HP seems to be ignoring
>AMIGA...
>
>Anyone out there DOne this?

It's quite easy to do this.  Get yourself the right serial cable
and a terminal program with kermit protocol (I recommend DIGA and
ATalk III for their good kermit implemention or see the PD
fund...).  If you can't find a shop selling the right cable
(without the expensive IBM/Mac software), you can easily make your
own cable (see your HP manual for pin description...).

After connecting your HP, set up your 48sx and your terminal to
the right settings.  After stating the send command on your HP a
requester will automaticly(!) show up on Amiga and the software
gets transfered...  Nice...  but...  I have heard of strange
problems with the backup command and the hp 48 revision a ...  so
test the backup command before using it!

PS: I have payed $30 for my hp serial cable...

----
Wolf Faust    UUCP:cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!cbmger!venus!wfaust
Tel: (+49)69 5486556         FIDO: 2:243/43.5

jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (12/03/90)

>a Mass storage device for the HP. Eases data transfer to.
>
>I want to be able to Hook my My amiga to a HP48sx, but HP seems to be ignoring
>AMIGA...
>
>Anyone out there DOne this?

I have been using my HP-48SX with my Amiga for about three months now without
a hitch.  I have downloaded source code from comp.sys.handhelds to my Amy, and
from Amiga to HP.  Everything has worked perfectly.  Just make sure to get
the plain IBM serial cable, and not the complete MS-DOS package.  You will
be paying extra for an IBM dish and such.  One thing:  You will need a
9-pin to 25-pin serial adapter.

Jay Ward --> jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu | if TrailBlazers > Opponents then

paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) (12/04/90)

>In article <yorkw.660072709@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>Well I'm WOndering if anyone out there is using a HP48sx. (The Newest HP)
>connected to their Amiga.
>
>To imform the non-knowing Public :
>
>1) The Hp48sx is the newes HP Calculator, with built in Kermit/Serial port.
>2) There are IBM and MAC "Pacakges" to connect computer to Calculator.
>
>2) allows you to use the HP as a "math machine" and your computer as
>a Mass storage device for the HP. Eases data transfer to.
>
>I want to be able to Hook my My amiga to a HP48sx, but HP seems to be ignoring
>AMIGA...
>
>Anyone out there DOne this?

Hmm .. I don't think they are ignoring anyone. I could be mistaken, but
I think the serial port of an IBM is slightly different than that of an
Apple Macintosh. At any rate, the IBM cable works just fine on the ASDG
dual-serial port board on my Amiga. Any terminal emulator with Kermit
will work just fine.
--

                                /\  /\
                               //\\//\\

dcl@ncsc1.ATT.COM (David Love x8918) (12/04/90)

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>Well I'm WOndering if anyone out there is using a HP48sx. (The Newest HP)
>connected to their Amiga.
 [ HP48SX description deleted ]
>Anyone out there DOne this?

This one is easy.  Pick up the IBM connector kit and find a
telecommunications package which supports Kermit (I use ATalk III).
Then just follow the directions in the second owners manual.
Works like a charm.

BTW, there are some nice HP48 programs included in the package.  Just
transfer them to your Amiga (using PCCopy or some such utility) and
download them to your HP.

>--
>yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
>Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still
>not know ANYTHING about computers.
--
 Dave Love
 dcl@ncsc1.att.com