[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Utility Please...

pcooper@LUKE.EECS.WSU.EDU (Phil Cooper - CS495) (11/27/90)

Question:  Has anyone developed a utility that catches traps and other
exceptions and handles them without guru'ing the machine?

    I have toyed with the idea of writing such a program myself, but if
it has already been done, there is no sense in reinventing the wheel :-)
My thought is to install handers for each of the common CPU exceptions
(Divide by zero - Address error - overflow...etc) and merely kill the
task which caused it rather than crash the entire machine.  Am I missing
something here?  It can't be this easy or someone would surely have
already done this.

      Phillip Cooper

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (11/27/90)

pcooper@LUKE.EECS.WSU.EDU (Phil Cooper - CS495) writes:

>Question:  Has anyone developed a utility that catches traps and other
>exceptions and handles them without guru'ing the machine?

Yes, its called "GOMF" or "Get Outta My Face".  I believe early versions of
this were PD or shareware and exist on the Fish collection.  It exists now
as a commercial product.

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |                                                            BUNGEEEEEEEE!
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \  Pete Ashdown   pashdown@javelin.es.com   ...orca.es.com!javelin!pashdown

telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) (11/28/90)

Phil Cooper asks:
  Question:  Has anyone developed a utility that catches traps and other
  exceptions and handles them without guru'ing the machine?

There was GOMF (stood for Get Outa My Face).  Version 1.0
was public domain.  I install Version 2.0 every time I boot up.
It allows me to sometimes avoid visits to the guru.  There
was a Version 3.0 that came with a hardware switch that avoided
more visits somehow, I think (though I don't remember how).
I don't know if GOMF is still distributed or sold or if V. 1.0
is still available.  I think probably it is.

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.152316.21314@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>pcooper@LUKE.EECS.WSU.EDU (Phil Cooper - CS495) writes:
>

>>Question:  Has anyone developed a utility that catches traps and other
>>exceptions and handles them without guru'ing the machine?
>
>Yes, its called "GOMF" or "Get Outta My Face".  I believe early versions of
>this were PD or shareware and exist on the Fish collection.  It exists now
>as a commercial product.

There's also a system monitor and control program called Xoper which
includes the ability to trap exceptions and let you kill the offending
task.  It's on the Fish disks among other things; the latest version I've
seen is 2.2.

--
paper :  James Shaffer Jr., 37 Brook Street, Montgomery, PA  17752
uucp  :  uunet!cbmvax!amix!vanth!jms  (or)  rutgers!cbmvax!amix!vanth!jms

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (11/28/90)

>Phil Cooper asks:
>  Question:  Has anyone developed a utility that catches traps and other
>  exceptions and handles them without guru'ing the machine?

>There was GOMF (stood for Get Outa My Face).  Version 1.0
>was public domain.

I use 3.0 all the time. Saved me several times, I don't have the button tho.
(What's the stuff ya need to do to install the button?)
(I just got a Adram540 board and i wonder which chip the button goes to)

I can still crash the My 500 in ways Gomf Can't catch.
(Well the Programs i Run crash my 500)

All in all the program ain't too bad, i don't know if it works on a 3000
or 2.0, It does fix all the 68010 "move<sr>" bugs.
That's the main reason i use it.

Anyone got a Button For sale? Not that i really need it, It'd just be neat.

Oh yea, Gomf and Rad Disks sometimes don't like each other.
(I think it was GOMF that was messing up my Rad:)
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

mclaren (Gavin McLaren) (11/29/90)

In article <9011262158.AA29395@luke.eecs.wsu.edu> pcooper@LUKE.EECS.WSU.EDU (Phil Cooper - CS495) writes:
>Question:  Has anyone developed a utility that catches traps and other
>exceptions and handles them without guru'ing the machine?

Yup.  See you local dealer for a copy of GOMF! (stands for Get Outta My Face).
Early versions were PD _I_THINK_, so may be available somewhere, free of
charge.

I know people want free software all the time, but I there are are reasons
to buy commercial software.  First, you are not reinventing the wheel, and
it helps to encourage software developers so that the software you
couldn't possibly get free is there when you need it to be.

That said, I am thinking about my own compiler, harddrive backup, graphics
stuff, etc.  It is fun!

--Gavin McLaren
...!uunet!van-bc!mdivax1!mclaren

telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Thomas Elam) (12/06/90)

In article <136223@pyramid.pyramid.com>, telam@pyrps5.pyramid.com
(Thomas Elam) writes:

|> There's no way, without a Memory Management Unit, to prevent any type of
|> crash.

Before I get flamed on this, let me make myself clear.  I should have said
"... to prevent all types of crash."

I think I also misspelled Perry Kivowits' name (I wrote "Kivowitz").  Sorry,
Perry.

Tom