[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Don't fill your HD

mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov25.093445.10710@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:

> He did tell me two good things:
>
>Don't EVER use media that has not been mapped.
>Don't EVER fill a CBM hd >95% full.. Why? He did not go in depth.

	WHY IS THIS???  I've been bitten by this a couple of times now.  I've
got a SeaGate ST157-N (ya, I know, SeaGate sucks) running on a Pacific
Peripherals Overdrive controller.
	When this thing gets anywhere over 97% full, I start getting "Volume
Overdrive has a Read/Write Error...." messages just from trying to READ a file
(using 'more', or 'type').

	If this didn't happen on files that were good BEFORE the drive reached
97% full, and didn't go away when the drive had more room on it, I'd say there
was a problem on the media.  But that ain't it.  AmigaDOS just doesn't like full
hard drives, and enquiring minds are little curious as to WHY?

	Could some CBM guru shed a little light on this, or at least say it's
been fixed in 2.x...?

	-- Matt

    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    %    "I programmed three days        %      Beam me up, Scotty.      %
    %     And heard no human voices.     %     There's no Artificial     %
    %     But the hard disk sang."       %    Intelligence down here.    %
    %          -- Yoshiko                                                %
    %                            E-mail:  mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu %
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (11/28/90)

Sorry I can't help your problem, but I can say that I personally haven't had
any trouble filling up my 2090/ST251. In fact, I get a "disk full" message
at least once a week (hoping to get an 80MB drive 'soon'...I need it
desperately!). There's only one thing to watch out for. Some versions of the
fast file system have a bug that makes it impossible to recover from a
"disk full" condition (by deleting some files and clicking on 'retry'). If
you try to do that you'll be greeted by the Guru...
So perhaps it's a result of buggy/inadaquate host drivers or drive firmware
rather than AmigaDOS that is causing your serious problem.

-- Dan Babcock

in <1990Nov27.223354.25258@ecst.csuchico.edu> writes:

	In article <1990Nov25.093445.10710@evax.arl.utexas.edu>
	hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:

	> He did tell me two good things:
	>
	>Don't EVER use media that has not been mapped.
	>Don't EVER fill a CBM hd >95% full.. Why? He did not go in depth.

	WHY IS THIS???  I've been bitten by this a couple of times now.  I've
	got a SeaGate ST157-N (ya, I know, SeaGate sucks) running on a Pacific
	Peripherals Overdrive controller.

	When this thing gets anywhere over 97% full, I start getting "Volume
	Overdrive has a Read/Write Error...." messages just from trying to
	READ a file (using 'more', or 'type').

	If this didn't happen on files that were good BEFORE the drive reached
	97% full, and didn't go away when the drive had more room on it, I'd
	say there was a problem on the media.  But that ain't it.  AmigaDOS
	just doesn't like full hard drives, and enquiring minds are little
	curious as to WHY?

	Could some CBM guru shed a little light on this, or at least say it's
	been fixed in 2.x...?

If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it.

Someone's feeding you a load of bushwa, and you CAN bet on that.  The comment
about the Seagate drive, though, IS true!  :-)

Let's just take a look at my home Amiga's HD configuration:

	CLI6> info v

	Mounted Disks:
	Unit	Size    Used    Free Full Errs   Status   Name
	DH61:	 45M   88577    1742  98%   0  Read/Write SYS6B
	DH60:	 45M   83535    8093  91%   0  Read/Write SYS6A
	DH50:	302M  313402  291486  51%   0  Read/Write SYS5
	DH40:	 47M   93995     851  99%   0  Read/Write SYS4
	DH24:	 26M   53239       9  99%   0  Read/Write SYS2E
	DH23:	 50M  101243       5  99%   0  Read/Write SYS2D
	DH22:	 50M   95764    5484  94%   0  Read/Write SYS2C
	DH21:	 50M  100712     536  99%   0  Read/Write SYS2B
	DH20:	 50M   76442   24806  75%   0  Read/Write SYS2A
	DF2:	No disk present
	DF1:	No disk present
	RAM:	373K     745       0 100%   0  Read/Write RamDisk
	DF0:	880K     813     945  46%   0  Read Only  SupraBoot

	CLI6> lastboot
	System last booted Sun 8-Jul-1990 14:32:15

	CLI6>

OK, that machine has been running since then with no reboots; it was rebooted
then because I had to clean it out after a fire "took out" my kitchen Sunday
July 1 and deposited soot over everything (and I mean EVERYTHING).

Look at the entry for DH40: (aka SYS4); that's an ST-157N.  Look at the
entries for DH24: and DH23: ... those are partitions on a Maxtor.

I've run my drives down to ZERO free blocks with NO problems whatsoever; this
is with Supra's software and AmigaDOS 1.3.2 on an A1000 having:

	CLI6> cpu
	The CPU is a 68020 with a 68881
	The video is NTSC and system clocking is from a GenLock
	CLI6> avail
	Type         Size      In-Use   Available     Largest
	chip      515,864     246,584     269,280     268,336
	fast    8,388,568   1,773,968   6,614,600   3,532,344
	$C00            0           0           0           0
	>16M            0           0           0           0
	total   8,904,432   2,020,552   6,883,880
	CLI6>

Everything works just fine.  The ONLY problem I've had is the ^$%#& Seagate
ST-157N on this system with its non-spin stiction.  At this time I only put
games and anims on that drive since I would NEVER trust a Seagate drive for
any valuable data ... but as long as it's spinning it does "work."

Due to my own early experiences operating a computer at home, I believe it
MANDATORY for proper surge and transient suppression to be used on one's
system.  Back when I first got the Amigas (mid-1985), I was operating without
such protection and would get 3 to 5 "fatal" floppy errors a week due to
refrigerator kicking in, turning on flourescent lamps, operating drill motors,
and even powering a modem ON/OFF.  When I "got smart" and added surge and UPS
protection around early 1986, I haven't had a SINGLE floppy error or any HD
errors after HDs became available for the Amiga.

Of course, it's also possible your Pacific Peripherals Overdrive setup is
flawed, but I know nuttin' 'bout 'dat and can offer no further suggestions.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

In article <1990Nov27.223354.25258@ecst.csuchico.edu> mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:
> 	Could some CBM guru shed a little light on this, or at least say it's
> been fixed in 2.x...?

Seems to be. I've filled up partitions several times with no problem.

(and that 50 MB quantum seemed SO big when I started...)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG (Stephane Laroche) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.223354.25258@ecst.csuchico.edu>, Matt "C P." Rush writes:

> In article <1990Nov25.093445.10710@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:
> >
> > He did tell me two good things:
> >
> >Don't EVER use media that has not been mapped.
> >Don't EVER fill a CBM hd >95% full.. Why? He did not go in depth.
>
>	WHY IS THIS???	I've been bitten by this a couple of times now.  I've
> got a SeaGate ST157-N (ya, I know, SeaGate sucks) running on a Pacific
> Peripherals Overdrive controller.
>	When this thing gets anywhere over 97% full, I start getting "Volume
> Overdrive has a Read/Write Error...." messages just from trying to READ a file
> (using 'more', or 'type').
>
>	If this didn't happen on files that were good BEFORE the drive reached
> 97% full, and didn't go away when the drive had more room on it, I'd say there
> was a problem on the media.  But that ain't it.  AmigaDOS just doesn't like full
> hard drives, and enquiring minds are little curious as to WHY?
>
>	Could some CBM guru shed a little light on this, or at least say it's
> been fixed in 2.x...?

  How can you say it's AmigaDos fault?  As far as I'm concerned, it could be
the controller or even the drive (in the case of a SCSI drive).  I've been
using a Seagate ST-251 40M hard disk for 2 years now and it has been most of
the time oscillating between 95% and 100% full.  The controller is a 2090a and
I'm using a 2000 with AmigaDos 1.3.

NOTE:  I moved this discussion to comp.sys.amiga.hardware.

>	-- Matt

 Stephane Laroche   | Email: stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG
 +1 514 277-8605    |        Montreal, Que.,  Canada

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (11/29/90)

mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:

>In article <1990Nov25.093445.10710@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:

>>Don't EVER fill a CBM hd >95% full.. Why? He did not go in depth.

>	When this thing gets anywhere over 97% full, I start getting "Volume
>Overdrive has a Read/Write Error...." messages just from trying to READ a file
>(using 'more', or 'type').

It sounds to me like you've told the system that the hard drive is a
little bigger than it actually is. I've had no problem at all when one of
my 70 meg partitions was 100% full, either on the Hardframe on the
2000/2500 or on the A3000 controller.

For a simple test of your drive, get Fred Fish's FillDisk program (on
one of the older disks), and run it on your hard drive. FillDisk simply
opens a file, and starts writing to it until the disk fills up. Fred
intended it to clobber any deleted files that you might not want someone
else undeleting, but it does make a handy disk tester.

If FillDisk starts reporting I/O errors at 97% full, I'd suggest backing
up your drive, reformatting it with a few fewer cylinders, and running
FillDisk again. If you get no errors the second time, you've found the
problem.

This worked fine for me when I wanted to verify that the fake floppies
I'd created by juggling mountlist entries did not overlap any other
partitions.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g

phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au (Phil Kernick) (11/29/90)

Before everyone with hard drives says that YOU CAN FILL THEM COMPLETELY
FULL.  Ask yourself the following question:
        What version of l:fastfilesystem am I using?

I remember *AGES* ago, this exact same thread, and yes, if you had a
hard-drive formatted with the original (1.3) fastfilesystem you would
get crashed on the hard-drive if it was filled to more than about 95%.

This was a known bug, and was fixed in the 1.3.2 release.

If you have the problem, and it is the ffs problem, then upgrade the
system software and it will go away.  If it is your hard-drive device
driver then that is a completely different thing...

Phil.

--
Phil Kernick                            EMail:  phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au
Departmental Engineer                   Phone:  +618 228 5914

rooijen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (A.J. van Rooijen) (11/29/90)

In article <36302@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>	CLI6> lastboot
>	System last booted Sun 8-Jul-1990 14:32:15

What kind of software are you running capable of avoiding guru's since 8 july??
I should like to know that. I have a guru at least one time a day on my A500.
And I don't even have a 68020 board.

Erwin van Breemen

In <1057@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl>, rooijen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (A.J. van Rooijen) writes:
>In article <36302@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>	CLI6> lastboot
>>	System last booted Sun 8-Jul-1990 14:32:15
>
>What kind of software are you running capable of avoiding guru's since 8 july??
>I should like to know that. I have a guru at least one time a day on my A500.
>And I don't even have a 68020 board.

Maybe you should get a 68020 board. :-)

Seriously, I am running a lot of standard and non-standard stuff, and if it
wasn't for the programming I do, I would probably only reboot once every few
months. Check around and see what you are running that is giving you problems.
If you can't find anything that might be causing it, you might want to have
your power supply checked.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (11/30/90)

I have had problems with a full 880k disk! Don't believe me? Take a workbench
and stuff it with files as best as possible. Then try to open a shell. It will
not open the shell on mine, so I assume that some programs write to the disk
for some reason and need a little space. Maybe 5k is enough for a floppy. :)

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.191350.2273@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>I have had problems with a full 880k disk! Don't believe me? Take a workbench
>and stuff it with files as best as possible. Then try to open a shell. It will
>not open the shell on mine, so I assume that some programs write to the disk
>for some reason and need a little space. Maybe 5k is enough for a floppy. :)

Well, I noticed that ALL AmigaDOS scripts creates temp file in T:.
Since the startup-sequence is also a script, then it must write into
your Boot disk when first starting up the machine. (This is even
before you get a chance to assign T: to RAM:)

In order words, you can fill you Disk up to 100% if and only if you
are sure that you are not going to boot from that disk.

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (11/30/90)

In article <13383@chaph.usc.edu> aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) writes:
>Well, I noticed that ALL AmigaDOS scripts creates temp file in T:.

Only if there is a .key directive (or if there is a nested execute, maybe?)

>Since the startup-sequence is also a script, then it must write into
>your Boot disk when first starting up the machine.

Shame on you!  You don't boot off a write-protected floppy?  :-)
	    -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (11/30/90)

In article <13383@chaph.usc.edu> aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) writes:
>Well, I noticed that ALL AmigaDOS scripts creates temp file in T:.
>Since the startup-sequence is also a script, then it must write into
>your Boot disk when first starting up the machine. (This is even
>before you get a chance to assign T: to RAM:)

This is incorrect.

Execute only creates a temp file if it thinks that some parameter substitution
(angle brackets, or .bra and .ket replacements) are involved.

The initial startup-sequence cannot have parameter substitution,
so no temp file is created when you boot a disk.

Recall that if T: is not yet assigned, execute tries to use :T.  If a
temp file was created, you could never boot off a write-protected disk!

>In order words, you can fill you Disk up to 100% if and only if you
>are sure that you are not going to boot from that disk.

Not so.

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com

rooijen@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl (A.J. van Rooijen) in <1057@rulcvx.LeidenUniv.nl>
asks:

?
>I should like to know that. I have a guru at least one time a day on my A500.
>And I don't even have a 68020 board.
>
>Erwin van Breemen

Fair question, deserving an answer: essentially either software I trust or
software I've written myself.  And I use the Amiga system(s) VERY heavily.
I have one at home and two in my office (yeah, actually in MY office on MY
desk)

Editing:
	mg2a (micro-Emacs, Mike Meyers' version)

Telecomm:
	handshake 2.12a for talking to my DEC-20s, VAXes, UNIX boxes, etc., in
	fact, for everything except when I need to do "online" file transfers
	using zmodem at which time I switch to AZCOMM 1.00 only for the time
	required to do the zmodem'ing, then back to Handshake.  Takes but a few
	seconds to switch back-'n-forth.  Actually, I usually "batch up" file
	transfer requests until I'm just about ready to go to sleep for the
	day, then switch to AZCOMM and enter "sz -b * ; exit" on the UNIX
	box(es) then click-on zmodem receive; the next morning I change back
	to Handshake.  Been doing this for a l-o-n-g time and it works fine.

Compiling:
	Manx (mostly) and Lattice.  Also Absoft Fortran.

	Also several cross-assemblers I've written for use on some of my
	outside consulting jobs.  I burn EPROMs directly off the Amiga using
	Handshake talking to an International Microsystems EPROM-1 box; in fact,
	I have 8 devices connected to a serial port switcher: several modems,
	a StarLAN NAU, HP plotter, C.Itoh ProWriter, and lines to serial ports
	on several UNIX boxes.

Text processing:
	AmigaTeX by Tom Rokicki (and source files prepared either using mg2a
	on the Amiga or "imported" from elsewhere).  I use this heavily for
	nearly all documentation, newsletters, flyers, users' group agendas,
	etc.

	Also WordPerfect for compatibility with docs I either receive from
	elsewhere or must send elsewhere.

PC Layout and CAD:
	Pro-Net and Pro-Board.
	Aegis Draw+
	PLOT: device
	and some misc. other

Misc Utilities:
	Conman, PopColours, POPCLI (aka Mackie from Tom Rokicki, though I've
	changed its name), cp (Jeff Lydiatt's), ls (from the net), many "net"
	replacements for various AmigaDOS "commands" (all for which I have the
	source), my "info" and "avail", sweep, tar, compress, uuencode and
	uudecode, unshar, cal, appt, etc etc etc  for about several 1000's of
	programs in my c:, util:, and other directories.  Many of these go
	back to 1985 and 1986 (yep, they STILL work under the latest OS).

	Note that I've source for nearly ALL of them, many from "Fish Disks",
	since I often add customizations.

	I could do an "ls -lR" of the directories in my PATH, but that would
	be wasteful.

Games:
	shanghai, Test Drive II (which, by the way, is "real time" and DOES
	return back to the CLI upon completion, leaving everything intact,
	showing that it IS possible to have fun, interactive games which are
	hard disk installable and do things "right" (even though their other
	games don't)), asteriods (sic), and some 50+ other programs in my
	"games:" directory

Misc:
	DPaint II, DigiView (for doing photos documenting other things, as
	people who saw my Hard Drive lecture at FAUG may remember), various
	"show" and "anim" displays, etc etc

For your reference, a listing of the ASSIGNS, PATH, environmental vars, and
stack size is appended; I didn't want to clutter up this part of my post.

The point being: if one abides the "rules" as printed ever since the first
DevCon back in May 1985 in Monterey, there is NO reason for one to be seeing
gurus on one's machine unless there's an actual HARDWARE failure.

If you ARE seeing gurus, then the software you're running is GARBAGE and
should be tossed out and your money-back demanded.

Getting on a "small" soapbox here, my biggest gripe with most so-called
"commercial" software available for the Amiga is that most of it is, in
general, well conceived but poorly designed and implemented.

People simply do NOT design and/or code properly nor do they perform even
rudimentary QA.  When I see some mfrs ship "updates" nearly weekly, I wonder
why they cannot get it right the first time.

If the methods used to teach and practice CS were applied to, say, civil
engineering or EE or to the medical profession, there probably wouldn't be
anyone alive in the world today.

In fact, this is a big problem I see with most CS courses as taught today:
people are NOT being taught how to DESIGN software.   CS classes "should"
be structured along the lines of the EE, CS, etc. disciplines.

Note lack of smileys above.

I've been in the computer software/hardware business for about 25 years;
prior to that I was doing architectural design, and also microwave receiver
design for gov't applications, and I also designed and operated a microwave
IC fab plant (sheesh, I was "doing" GaAs ICs, YAG and YIG, on diamond and
sapphire substrates a l-o-n-g time ago), so I have much experience with QA
and design "up-front."

Some of that paid off for a contract I had with JPL about 20 years ago to
"prove" the tenets of structured software design.  It DOES work!

I immediately applied the results of that JPL contract to another system I
designed start-finish for real-time monitoring of light water nuclear
reactors.  Several hundred of those were built and are STILL being sold with
my original software unchanged ... if it ain't broke, DON'T fix it; and a
minor mod to that software is (was?) being used to monitor stress in the
cables on the Golden Gate bridge.  Then the AMPS system (Automated MicroProbe
System; a computerized scanning electron microscope).  Then the POINT (POlice
INTelligence) system; for this I had to first design/implement a new language
which, in retrospect, resembles "C" (for "C" wasn't readily available back
then).  These systems are 100% reliable and failsafe.

Also, my company and I pioneered "structured QA" of software projects way
back when no-one even considered this possible; this includes both regression
and comprehensive testing.  And all these techniques WORK and assure reliable
(and non-GURU :-) functioning software systems.

It's MY belief, and borne out by JPL and many, many others for whom I've done
software, that a software project should be:

	90% design up front
	 5% coding time
	 5% QA and checkout

With a structured design (either flowcharts or using my DLT processor (i.e. a
flowchart compiler)), the design can then be coded in whatever language one
chooses.  Most of my earlier programs were 100% assembler (due to machine
memory constraints), but they could just as easily have been coded in, say,
Fortran, BASIC, COBOL, whatever, from the same structured design and would
have operated the same (albeit more slowly in some cases).  And many of these
were NOT trivial programs; one of the largest comprised some 750,000 lines of
assembly code, which I then converted to C about 5-6 years ago, enhanced
further during the past 5 years, and am now porting to UNIX.  And the nature
of that code includes complete 4GL DBMS processing and my parsers, code gen
(yep, for speed, I generate 100% machine code for all users' queries and
programs), runside libraries, etc etc etc.

I apply the same techniques to all software I write, and THAT's why I'm able
to keep my Amigas (and other systems) up so long.  I will NOT tolerate "crap"
software whose every execution paths were not tested or verified ... which is
also why I oftimes have to write my own stuff since I don't trust most of the
commercial software out there.

Software should be DESIGNED along the same techniques which are used for
other engineering disciplines ... sadly, that's seldom the case in the real
world.  And that's why you see your GURUs and the like.  :-(

{end of soapbox}

Hope some of this provides some insights and food for thought.  I didn't mean
to be so long-winded on what "could" have been a short answer to Erwin's
question as to why my Amiga(s) stay up so long between reboots.  I felt some
of my thoughts and the issues mentioned in these regards ARE pertinent to this
technical newsgroup.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

-------------------- begin included material --------------------

Perhaps the following may give you more insight to my systems' configs; most
my Amigas are similar in these regards.  And I *DO* have separately-purchased
and licensed copies of the commercial software, so don't waste time even
suggesting that I am running "illegal" multiple copies; many who frequented
the Amiga BBS systems on which I was the SYSOP know my position on software
piracy.

CLI6> assign
Volumes:
RamDisk [Mounted]
SYS6B [Mounted]
SYS6A [Mounted]
SYS5 [Mounted]
SYS4 [Mounted]
SYS2E [Mounted]
SYS2D [Mounted]
SYS2C [Mounted]
SYS2B [Mounted]
SYS2A [Mounted]
SupraBoot [Mounted]

Directories:
C              RamDisk:C
GAMES          SYS4:GAMES
FontPath       SYS2A:AmigaTeX/TeX/pk
LaTeX          SYS2A:AmigaTeX/TeX
TeXfiles       SYS2A:AmigaTeX/TeX
TeX            SYS2A:AmigaTeX/TeX
WP             SYS6A:WP
VS3D           SYS6A:VideoScape-3D
UTIL           SYS6A:UTILITIES
UDICT          SYS6A:Dictionaries
TBasic         SYS6A:True_Basic
SRC            SYS6A:Sources
SCRIBBLE       SYS6A:Scribble
ProW           SYS6A:ProWrite
Print          SYS6A:WP
PCLO           SYS6A:PCLO
PAGE           SYS6A:PageSetter
OLD            SYS6A:OLD
NEW            SYS6A:NEW
MVP            SYS6A:MVP-Forth
MODULA2        SYS6A:Modula2
MISC           SYS6A:MISC
META           SYS6A:Debuggers/MetaScope
LINT           SYS6A:LINT
LIBR           SYS6A:LIBRARIES
Learn          SYS6A:WP/learn
LANG           SYS6A:LANGUAGES
JForth         SYS6A:JForth
IFF            SYS6A:IFF_Tools
INCL           SYS6A:Include
HELP           SYS6A:HELP
EXPL           SYS6A:Debuggers/EXPLORER
DV             SYS6A:DigiView
DRAW           SYS6A:DrawPlus
DOCS           SYS6A:Documentation
DICT           SYS6A:Dictionaries
DEBUG          SYS6A:Debuggers
DCad           SYS6A:DynamiCad
DBMS           SYS6A:DBMS
COPIERS        SYS6A:COPIERS
CONT           SYS6A:CONTENTS
COMM           SYS6A:TELECOMM
CC             SYS6A:AZTEC
BBS            SYS6A:BBS
AUTO           SYS6A:AutoDOCS
w3             RamDisk:w3
w2             RamDisk:w2
w1             RamDisk:w1
ul             RamDisk:ul
dl             RamDisk:dl
ww             RamDisk:ww
t              RamDisk:T
l              SYS6A:l
s              SYS6A:s
SYSTEM         SYS6A:System
DEVS           SYS6A:devs
FONTS          SYS6A:fonts
LIBS           SYS6A:libs
TBA            SYS2C:PORTAL-MAIL-TO-BE-ANSWERED
PDL            SYS2C:portal
JC             SYS2C:BBS-JC
Files.db       SYS2C:Files.db
DL3            SYS2E:DL3
DL2            SYS2E:DL2
DL1            SYS2E:DL1
ANIMS          SYS4:ANIMS
SYS            SYS6A:

Devices:
DH61 DH60 DH50 DH40 DH24
DH23 DH22 DH21 DH20 DF2
DF1 PRT PAR SER RAW
CON RAM DF0
CLI6> path show
Current directory
RamDisk:C
SYS6A:LANGUAGES
SYS6A:UTILITIES
SYS6A:TELECOMM
SYS6A:
SYS6A:System
SYS6A:AZTEC
C:
CLI6 set
CLIB=CC:LIB/
INCLUDE=CC:INCLUDE!CC:ASM
CCTEMP=RAM:
TZ=PST8PDT
CLI6> stack
current stack size is 70000 bytes
CLI6>

-------------------- end of included material --------------------

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Anarchy for Peace) (12/01/90)

In article <phil.659837272@adam.adelaide.edu.au> phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au (Phil Kernick) writes:
>I remember *AGES* ago, this exact same thread, and yes, if you had a
>hard-drive formatted with the original (1.3) fastfilesystem you would
>get crashed on the hard-drive if it was filled to more than about 95%.
>

>Phil.

Never happened to me... I had a Quantum 80S hooked to a Hardframe in my 2000
and was constantly hovering around 88-89% full.  Even had a couple of
"Volume Full" requestors appear, no r/w errors though.  This was with the
original 1.3.  I never heard of 1.3.2 until I got my 3000.

>--
>Phil Kernick                            EMail:  phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au
>Departmental Engineer                   Phone:  +618 228 5914
>Dept. of Psychology                     Fax:    +618 224 0464
>University of Adelaide                  Mail:   GPO Box 498 Adelaide SA 5001

Colin DeWolfe
dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca
dewolfe@iris1.ucis.dal.ca

In <13383@chaph.usc.edu>, aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) writes:
>In article <1990Nov29.191350.2273@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>>I have had problems with a full 880k disk! Don't believe me? Take a workbench
>>and stuff it with files as best as possible. Then try to open a shell. It will
>>not open the shell on mine, so I assume that some programs write to the disk
>>for some reason and need a little space. Maybe 5k is enough for a floppy. :)
>
>Well, I noticed that ALL AmigaDOS scripts creates temp file in T:.
>Since the startup-sequence is also a script, then it must write into
>your Boot disk when first starting up the machine. (This is even
>before you get a chance to assign T: to RAM:)

All Amigados scripts do not create a temp file. A temp file is created under
certain conditions. One of those is when another 'execute' is kicked off from a
script. You can avoid the temp file generated by excuting another script by
executing it using a 'NewCLI' or 'NewShell', with the FROM keyword naming the
script you are starting.

>In order words, you can fill you Disk up to 100% if and only if you
>are sure that you are not going to boot from that disk.

The only thing to watch for is the temp file, and that you make sure you have
assigned T: to somewhere else before it gets created.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (12/02/90)

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) writes:

>In article <1990Nov27.223354.25258@ecst.csuchico.edu>, Matt "C P." Rush writes:

>> In article <1990Nov25.093445.10710@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:
>> >
>> > He did tell me two good things:
>> >
>> >Don't EVER fill a CBM hd >95% full.. Why? He did not go in depth.
>>
>> 	If this didn't happen on files that were good BEFORE the drive reached
>> 97% full, and didn't go away when the drive had more room on it, I'd say there
>> was a problem on the media.  But that ain't it.  AmigaDOS just doesn't like full
>> hard drives, and enquiring minds are little curious as to WHY?

I just did a little scientific test. I have a A590 with 6.0 roms.
20 meg drive, partitioned into 2 equal size 10 meg partitions.
They are 21058 block each.

I had dh1: at about 93%. I just attempted to fill it
to 21059 blocks via C:JOIN. I got a requester "Disk Full",
I hit cancel, join aborted and left the destination file as was.
Now, dh1: is 100%full, and NoProblems.

One time I did fill the disk, as originally shipped it was
a single 20meg partition. It ended up being corrupted, but
I think the cause was a brain dead program - it did not check
for errors - it just kept hitting its head against "Disk
Full" requests - I had to reboot - and BOOM the disk was
Invalidatable - but I didn't lose anything (after backup/restore).

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (12/02/90)

thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

Hey Thad, you shuould try HandShake when there is not enough
memory for it to run. It does not behave well.

I stopped using it awhile ago becuase of that (And i dont have 8megs!),
since it would frequently either crash or not free memory
when I was trying to fire it up with other stuff going.

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) in <1990Dec1.194656.8074@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>
writes:

	Hey Thad, you shuould try HandShake when there is not enough
	memory for it to run. It does not behave well.

'Tis possible.  I'm not about to test that failure-mode on my system, not
after having endured "only" 512K RAM back in 1985 and since I don't have
an MMU on my Amigas for memory/process protection.

For that matter, even the mg2a I use has some serious flaws, the most
obnoxious being an apparent use of 16-bit ints for defining the boundaries
of a region.  Just read in, say, a 100K file, and attempt to delete more
than 64K from the text buffer after having set the "mark" and using ^W.
Yet it's also able to handle 1MB+ files just fine in other instances.  I
haven't bothered to look into the problem since Mike has a new beta version
out and since I have the "real" Stallman EMACS running on my DEC-20, VAX,
and UNIX systems.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Nov27.223354.25258@ecst.csuchico.edu> mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:
>In article <1990Nov25.093445.10710@evax.arl.utexas.edu> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:
>>Don't EVER fill a CBM hd >95% full.. Why? He did not go in depth.
>
>	WHY IS THIS???  I've been bitten by this a couple of times now.  I've
>got a SeaGate ST157-N (ya, I know, SeaGate sucks) running on a Pacific
>Peripherals Overdrive controller.
>	When this thing gets anywhere over 97% full, I start getting "Volume
>Overdrive has a Read/Write Error...." messages just from trying to READ a file
>(using 'more', or 'type').

I've heard about this "problem" from time to time but have never had it
happen to me.  At least, I don't think so.  I have a stock (populated)
A-590 and due to the despicable reality of having to live in 21 megs (only
for a few more weeks now, though!!) it is generally almost totally full.
In fact quite often I spend days with less than 50K free.  I've done this
since a month or two after I got it and I got it almost a year ago.  I've
never had any problems (not absolutely tracable to a different cause) until
recently and they, while mysterious of origin, occured when I actually had
more free space than I've had for some time.

Of course, it may be that this is the great, fantastic, beautiful and capable
A-590 at work, but I've heard that it's actually a problem in the FFS (which
I use).  So, who knows?

BTW, additional notes while I'm here - any important replies (hah!) should go
in Email as we're only getting a fraction of news right now due to a blockage
somewhere in uunet.

Second, if Blaine Gardner is reading this, I can NOT reach you no way, no
how, and I tried at least 8 DIFFERENT routings.  Your mail seems to reach
me fine but I cannot reply.  I still want to sell you those keyboards.  Please
send me an alternate location to reach you or something.

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@isis.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831|