[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Using the amiga from the serial port

andy@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Andy Colebourne) (12/10/90)

I am writing a program to  enable an amiga to be used from the serial
port.  The serial port will accept cli commands and the output of these
commands will be sent to the serial port.

Can 'Execute' be used to send the output of the command to the serial.device?

(if I do "Execute("dir >ser:", 0, 0)" the command cannot open the serial device
because it is open for receiving the commands.)

It should be possible to execute a command, redirecting the output to a file
in RAM:, the reading the file and sending this to the serial port - but I'm
hoping that there is a more elegant way of doing it.

It would be nice to control a shell so that all the functions like aliasing
could be used.

Any help/code/suggestions would be very welcome!!

Thanks!

Andy

andy@uk.ac.lancs.comp

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (12/11/90)

In article <1132@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk> andy@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Andy
Colebourne) writes:
> It would be nice to control a shell so that all the functions like
aliasing
> could be used.
>
> Any help/code/suggestions would be very welcome!!

                Well what you want to do is:

mount aux:
newshell aux:

               And here we go ! You have a shell on your terminal, isn't
that great ?!?

 Oh, by the way, you'll soon see it's not that great, since every time a
requester pops-up you loose control of your shell from the terminal (try
to do leftA-V from a terminal (-:), so you'll go to the next step which is
to write a small program to poke a -1L in the PrWindowPtr (I believe it's
the name of the struct member, I'm doing this from memory it was 6 months
ago, sorry if I'm wrong check with the definition of struct Process in the
include files) field of the Process structure of your shell process. (to
Find this process structure, use FindTask(0L) since the process structure
begins with the task struct). It should be at offset 40 from the
FindTask(0) if you're doing it in a special language that doesn't know
about structs.

                   So, once you have -1 in this field, requesters will
allways be canceled. But it's not enough since it's very easy to launch a
program that opens a Window. But that's another story.

           JNM

--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)
" Just make it!", BO in 'BO knows Unix'

terry@csd.uwo.ca (Terry Cudney) (12/11/90)

In article <1132@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk> andy@dcl-cs.UUCP (Andy Colebourne) writes:
>It would be nice to control a shell so that all the functions like aliasing
>could be used.
>Any help/code/suggestions would be very welcome!!

     Please post replies to this thread or email me a copy of relevant info. I
am particularly interested in facilitating use of alternate terminals
(braille terminals) with the Amiga. This could entail a complete terminal
shell connection through the serial port and/or using the regular amiga
keyboard for input, while directing all text-output to a braille display on
the serial port. All comments suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

--
--terry
/* terry@chaplin.csd.uwo.ca