[comp.sys.amiga.tech] DPAINT and a corrupt disk

prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) (12/11/90)

I have had a problem with disk corruptions when writing brushes
and anims from DPAINTIII. I have a 3000. Is this  a common
problem and is there a cure for this (is it because I am running
DPAINT from wb2.0?)

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (12/12/90)

In article <5380005@otter.hpl.hp.com> prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) writes:

>I have had a problem with disk corruptions when writing brushes
>and anims from DPAINTIII. I have a 3000. Is this  a common
>problem and is there a cure for this (is it because I am running
>DPAINT from wb2.0?)

It is interesting that you bring this up. We have 10 Amiga 3000's and
have had a LOT of students lately coming up with disk errors upon working
with DPaint. However, it seems that there are also quite a bit of them coming
up with errors when writing from Disney Animation Studio. This is definitely
an "above average" number of disk errors. We thought it might have to do
with the Disney program. But with your inquiry I wonder if it might not be
a problem with 2.0 itself.

Are there other people out there who are having similar problems? Please
post. If enough people really are having problems maybe Commodore will
take another look the 2.0 system.

Sean Schur		    			USENET: schur@isi.edu
Assistant Director Amiga/Media Lab		Compuserve: 70731,1102
Character Animation Department			Plink: OSS259
California Institute of the Arts

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (12/13/90)

In article <16011@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>In article <5380005@otter.hpl.hp.com> prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) writes:
>>
>>I have had a problem with disk corruptions when writing brushes
>>and anims from DPAINTIII. I have a 3000. Is this  a common
>>problem and is there a cure for this (is it because I am running
>>DPAINT from wb2.0?)

I used to have this problem as well, particualrly when I would save a
hi-res picture, I found out the cause of the problem (at least for me) was
that when i saved the picture, I would take the disk out of the drive
too early, when you saved a hi-res pic, it would save for a bit (standard
grinding), and then stop, I would take the disk out, and poof... corrupt
disk, the picture seems to save in two parts, and you have to wait until the
program is definantly DONE writing to the disk (and you get your pointer
back)... hope this helps...

Raoul Rodriguez

I've been using 2.0 since August, and experiencing fewer disk problems than
with 1.3, particularly since the 36.207/36.69 update. I HAVE, however, always
had disk problems with both Deluxe Paint and Deluxe Music.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (12/13/90)

In article <5380005@otter.hpl.hp.com> prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) writes:

>I have had a problem with disk corruptions when writing brushes
>and anims from DPAINTIII. I have a 3000. Is this  a common
>problem and is there a cure for this (is it because I am running
>DPAINT from wb2.0?)

  My DPAINT III on my a500 WB 1.3 has tons of read write errors. I have
reformmated, disk doctored, and used entirely new disks at least 20 times, to
the point where I just gave up and let the errors live. There definitely are
no viruses since I checked the boot block. Mine is more likely to happen
when I save a picture (and not a brush), and I can still load them in even
though they won't appear in the directory. I also find it happening much
more often when I have used the BAD disk optimizer on my DPaint 3.5 floppy.