[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Easy Ethernet Suggestion!

icbtl805@serss0.fiu.edu (Hamilton Davies) (12/07/90)

This is a money making suggestion to some developer out there.
Why hasn't anyone written or modified networking software for the
Amiga to utilize one of the many 'pocket ethernet' tranceivers
available for Laptop PCs?  These Ehternet tranceivers plug into the
parallel port and allow you to connect to a network.

Personally I would love to be able to plug my A500 into our network
at my office and use the Sequent UNIX host.  Just think, an A500
with X-Windows and one of these little pocket tranceivers and you are
set!

Come on, somebody do this.  Please?!?!?

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (12/08/90)

In article <1885@kluge.fiu.edu> icbtl805@serss0.fiu.edu (Hamilton Davies) writes:
>This is a money making suggestion to some developer out there.
>Why hasn't anyone written or modified networking software for the
>Amiga to utilize one of the many 'pocket ethernet' tranceivers
>available for Laptop PCs?  These Ehternet tranceivers plug into the
>parallel port and allow you to connect to a network.
>
>Personally I would love to be able to plug my A500 into our network
>at my office and use the Sequent UNIX host.  Just think, an A500
>with X-Windows and one of these little pocket tranceivers and you are
>set!
>
>Come on, somebody do this.  Please?!?!?

I would like to _whole heartedly_ second this suggestion.  I would like
to network my Amiga 1000 with my NeXT (see, not everybody that likes one
hates the other :-)  I can't see buying a harddrive for my Amiga but
I can certainly see using my NeXT as a fileserver (assuming some
pd version of NFS can be hacked to use the driver for a pocket
transceiver).  Considering the NeXT has builtin Ethernet connectivity,
this could be a _real_ cheap way to add a remote harddisk to the Amiga...
(that is, assuming you already have the NeXT :-) :-)

If anyone knows of an existing AmigaDos device driver to control one
of the pocket transceivers or if anyone writes one in response to this
posting, please send me a note.

If we are going to network the world, we might as well start at home!
--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

ralph@atrp.mit.edu (Ralph L. Vinciguerra) (12/11/90)

Yep. Me too!  You might want to offer the pocket transceiver and the software
as a little package deal. Perhaps the manufacturer of the pocket transceivers
would be interested in helping out. It would increase sales....

garvin@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Michael Garvin) (12/11/90)

     Actually, a few of us here at work got to talking about the logistics
of this the other day.  It can be done, and you should achieve about 10k/sec
throughput before killing the CPU.  We nixed the idea, however, in favor of
implementing a real SLIP system (slip.device) due to the fact that we don't
have much call for A500/1000's and we want to use our home Amigas to do
TCP/IP.  But, the project appears feasible, if not relatively (to other
machines/cards/etc) expensive at around $400 for the hardware.  Another
thing to consider is the fact that, to do things right, you'll really want a
BSD (yes, I'm biased) socket interface library so that you can port existing
applications straight over to the Amiga (sendmail, ftp, ntp, etc); we are
going to try to do this with our SLIP system.  Also, before people start
mailing, we aren't going to start work on this for another month or so, and
we don't know if we will complete it (with work and school left), so if you
see something on the net about it next year you'll know we did it.

--

Michael Garvin - Systems - North Carolina State University Computing Center
NCSU Computing Center                | (919) 737-2517  (8am - 5pm EST/EDT)

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (12/12/90)

In article <1885@kluge.fiu.edu>, icbtl805@serss0.fiu.edu (Hamilton Davies) writes:
> This is a money making suggestion to some developer out there.
> Why hasn't anyone written or modified networking software for the
> Amiga to utilize one of the many 'pocket ethernet' tranceivers
> available for Laptop PCs?  These Ehternet tranceivers plug into the
> parallel port and allow you to connect to a network.

It is a good idea even tho the current owners of for-sale
ethernet software may not beleive so....

WHy, because they have their own hardware to sell with the sw....

But look at all the A500 owners you'd pick up! Not to mention
the PR boost.

The only alternative would be to get one of the older no longer marketed
ethernet products and start from there.

If there is PD etherenet stuff it wouldn't be hard to do!

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (12/13/90)

>In article <1885@kluge.fiu.edu>, icbtl805@serss0.fiu.edu (Hamilton Davies) writes:
> Why hasn't anyone written or modified networking software for the
> Amiga to utilize one of the many 'pocket ethernet' tranceivers
> available for Laptop PCs?  These Ehternet tranceivers plug into the
> parallel port and allow you to connect to a network.

This would be a snap to do once the network software developers support
SANA. All one has to do is write a network-interface.device for that
hardware and the protocol stacks theoretically could start using it.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

bsyme@cs.strath.ac.uk (Brian J Syme IE88) (12/13/90)

>In article <1885@kluge.fiu.edu> icbtl805@serss0.fiu.edu (Hamilton Davies) writes:
>>Why hasn't anyone written or modified networking software for the
>>Amiga to utilize one of the many 'pocket ethernet' tranceivers
>>available for Laptop PCs?

An EXCELLENT idea. Someone do it. I'm sure I live close enough to the Uni. to
hang a huge lump of coax out of the 12th floor down to my flat...

--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<> Brian Syme            <> Why make things difficult, when with just a     <>

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (12/13/90)

Well, if anyone finds a "pocket ethernet" maker who's willing to give out
interface specs, please let me know.

That's one problem: they just don't like to give out info.

A friend who's a computer administrator for a university called up a
parallel-port ethernet maker, asking about this.  They had no interest
in giving out interfacing information for use with other computers....
the PC market (where they simply include their own MSDOS driver and
no info of use to competitors) was big enough for them, that the
(relatively tiny) potential market to "other" computers couldn't
overcome their fear of giving out specs.

The solution seems to be: buy one, and take apart the hardware and
software to find out how it all works.  This seems to hold true for
almost everything - fax boards, digitizers, and so on <sigh>.

kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (12/15/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.tech
Subject: Re: Easy Ethernet Suggestion!
In article <922@boing.UUCP> dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>>In article <1885@kluge.fiu.edu>, icbtl805@serss0.fiu.edu (Hamilton Davies) writes:
>> Why hasn't anyone written or modified networking software for the
>> Amiga to utilize one of the many 'pocket ethernet' tranceivers
>> available for Laptop PCs?  These Ehternet tranceivers plug into the
>> parallel port and allow you to connect to a network.
>
>This would be a snap to do once the network software developers support
>SANA. All one has to do is write a network-interface.device for that
>hardware and the protocol stacks theoretically could start using it.
>

>--
>Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
>{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

	Hows SANA coming along? Any socket libraries available for it?

							Jeff

Jeff S. Dickson 			jdickson@zook.gpl.nasa.gov
					whoops ^
					jdickson@zook.jpl.nasa.gov

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (12/15/90)

(I tried EMail to dave but it bounced back: think doesn't know samsung)

  So here we go: same question, but differentely: where can we get
informations about SANA ? If I want to develop something with networks,
where could a find infos about it ?

      The 'net' wants to know my Lord (-:

       JNM

--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)
" Just make it!", BO in 'BO knows Unix'

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (12/16/90)

>>This would be a snap to do once the network software developers support
>>SANA. All one has to do is write a network-interface.device for that
>>hardware and the protocol stacks theoretically could start using it.
>>
>	Hows SANA coming along? Any socket libraries available for it?
>Jeff S. Dickson 			jdickson@zook.gpl.nasa.gov

The socket libraries have been available since March to members of the
Network Working Group. If you are interested in becoming a member please
send email back to me and I will forward the request to the appropriate
authorities. There is no cost with belonging to this group, however there
is an acceptance process.

The socket library that comes the the X11 programmers toolkit contains
support for SANA local domain connections as well as the AS225
Commodore tcp/ip package.