[comp.sys.amiga.tech] What do the several Mountlist entries mean?

ferry@chorus.fr (Ferry de Jong) (12/16/90)

Hello comp.sys.amiga.tech'ers,

Reading the thread about FastFileSystem a very old never answered question
sprang back in mind:
What do the several options (and assigned values) mean in the
different Mountlist entries?

For example in the DFx: entries you will see a line like:

	BufMemType = [number]

Where number stands for something like CHIP or FAST mem I think.

Who can explain to me what the following entries EXACTLY mean and
what values can be assigned. (And what those values mean of course...)

Reserved
Buffers
BufMemType
Mask
DosType (Don't remember the name exactly!)

Please replay by e-mail. I will post a summary if I get enough/complete
information.

Constructive RTFM's are also welcome if given with a Title (and Section
or Pagenumber).

 ___  ___  ___   ___  _  _     _    _
(  _)(  _)(  ,) (  ,)( \/ ) | ( \/\/ )riting software takes twice as long
 ) _) ) _) )  \  )  \ \  /  |  \    /        as you expect it to take...
(_)  (___)(_)\_)(_)\_)(_/   |   \/\/     Even if you keep this in mind!
e-mail: ferry@chorus.fr

In <7238@chorus.fr>, ferry@chorus.fr (Ferry de Jong) writes:
>Hello comp.sys.amiga.tech'ers,
>
>Reading the thread about FastFileSystem a very old never answered question
>sprang back in mind:
>What do the several options (and assigned values) mean in the
>different Mountlist entries?
>
>For example in the DFx: entries you will see a line like:
>
>	BufMemType = [number]
>
>Where number stands for something like CHIP or FAST mem I think.

The  numbers  for  BufMemType are the same numbers you would use for specifying
type of memory required in an AllocMem() call. You can specify CHIP, FAST, or
both.

>Who can explain to me what the following entries EXACTLY mean and
>what values can be assigned. (And what those values mean of course...)
>
>Reserved

Reserved must be 2. This reserves 2 blocks at the beginning of the disk. On a
disk that does not require a 2 secor boot block, you might be able to get away
with 1, which is used for the 'DOS' string identifying the file system

>Buffers

Not sure about the exact meaning of this one. I think it's for caching, but I
don't know if they refer to buffers with the same functionality as those added
with AddBuffers or not.

>Mask

Take the adress, and see if any bits in the address correspond with an unset
(0) bit in Mask. If so, do programmed IO. If not, do DMA IO.

>DosType (Don't remember the name exactly!)

Shows the file system in use. For HDs and floppies, this will generally be
either 'DOS',0x00, (old file system) or 'DOS',0x01 (FFS). The specification in
the mountlist can be something like "DOS^A" or 0x444f5301.

-larry

--
The best way to accelerate an MsDos machine is at 32 ft/sec/sec.