[comp.sys.amiga.tech] FastFileSystem

crain@cpsin3.uucp (Steven Crain) (12/15/90)

is there a way to get the FastFileSystem driver to work with trackdisk?
(i.e. mount a FFS floppy drive)  Does 2.0 allow you to do this? (I have
1.3)

Thanks
Steve
crain@frith.egr.msu.edu
--
BBBBBBB      OOOOOOOOO    OOOOOOOOO     MMMMMMMM            MMMMMMM     MMMM
BBB   BBB   OOOO    OOOO OOOO    OOOO   MMMM  MMMM        MMMMM  MM     !!!!

crain@cpsin3.uucp (Steven Crain) (12/15/90)

I wish to apologise to the net for that signature, I am sharing this acct
with a friend and I forgot that that was put in the signature file.

How embarrasing :-)

Steve

steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.195644.27027@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> crain@cpsin3.uucp (Steven Crain) writes:
>is there a way to get the FastFileSystem driver to work with trackdisk?
>(i.e. mount a FFS floppy drive)  Does 2.0 allow you to do this? (I have
>1.3)

You can mount the 1.3 FastFileSystem on a floppy via the mount command and
a suitable mountlist.  Just copy the default entry for RAD: and change
device to "trackdisk.device" and add Mask=0x7ffff to force the FS to do
all direct device access via CHIP buffers.

The 2.0 filesystem *IS* FastFileSystem with extensive changes made and
features added.  One of the main features is support for OFS format disks
(ie floppies) and full support for removable media.  Under 2.0 you can
format floppies in FFS mode and the ROM FS will automatically configure
itself to that format.  You can freely change between OFS and FFS format
just by inserting disks of that format in the drive.

In article <16549@cbmvax.commodore.com> steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) writes:
>You can mount the 1.3 FastFileSystem on a floppy via the mount command and
>a suitable mountlist.  Just copy the default entry for RAD: and change
>device to "trackdisk.device" and add Mask=0x7ffff to force the FS to do
>all direct device access via CHIP buffers.

I forgot to add that you will have to manually run the Diskchange command
every time you change the floppy.  1.3 FS doesn't automatically recognise
diskchanges (because it was originally designed for non-removeable hard
drives).  You will also want to set BuffMemType to CHIP memory in the
MountList.

	Steve

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (12/17/90)

In a message posted on 15 Dec 90 12:27:05 GMT,
steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) wrote:
SB>(ie floppies) and full support for removable media.  Under 2.0 you can
SB>format floppies in FFS mode and the ROM FS will automatically configure

Without mounting the drive a second time, how does one actually do this Format
to FFS?

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own.  My Employer does not even
know what these networks ARE.

  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  Use atronx!rwm@carleton.ca    ^^^^^^^^ Domain registry in progress
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/19/90)

>>You can mount the 1.3 FastFileSystem on a floppy via the mount command and
>>a suitable mountlist.  Just copy the default entry for RAD: and change
>>device to "trackdisk.device" and add Mask=0x7ffff to force the FS to do
>>all direct device access via CHIP buffers.
>
> I forgot to add that you will have to manually run the Diskchange command
> every time you change the floppy.  1.3 FS doesn't automatically recognise
> diskchanges (because it was originally designed for non-removeable hard
> drives).  You will also want to set BuffMemType to CHIP memory in the
> MountList.

Or get "AutoDiskChange" a program that monitors for DISKCHANGE events
and then sends a DiskChange command to the drive.  Note that if you
dont Diskchange a FFS floppy under 1.3 you can seriously trash the
next disk...

--
Mark