[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A590 woes and blasphemy...

david@walking.pub.uu.oz.au (David Le Blanc) (12/22/90)

I receive some help for my plea..

Subject: Re: Re: a590 bad blocks and corruption woes

>It sounds like you have your drive partitioned incorrectly.  If you
>set HiCyl to too high a value, you may be writing to cylinders the
>drive thinks are free for mapping out bad blocks.  This is just an

Thanks, I retracked the partition two cylinders from the end of the disk,
and the problems *appear* to have vanished.

Why *two* cylinders? Playing around with a disk editor, I found the drive
would not let me directly read the last two cylinders!! (And I wouldnt
have looked if you hadn't suggested it...:)

>educated guess based on what little information you gave.

What more could I have said? Apart from listing the drive geometry and
partition info that is...

>carson@close.cs.columbia.edu (preferred)        | Carson Gaspar
>cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwards to above) | BIX: cgaspar
Thanks again.

Subject: Re: Re: A590 Woes

>The FFS is on the RDB of the A-590, and you update it from 0 to 1, NOT
>"36"!!  You do this in the "Add/Update Filesystems" screen.  I don't tknow
>what changing the version number to 36 will do but I'm surprised it let you
>try even.

Why? Who made this rule? Are you serious? Do you really believe it helps?
Why wouldnt the drive let me make it 36? Its just an integer... Geez...:-)E)
I did change it to 1 finally, and big deal, no difference.

>Not sure what can happen with this, or if it's causing your problems, but
>just pointing that out.  And why not CHECK to see if your location zero is
>zero?  Even if you don't know how, simply run a known-buggy program which
>will show up any corruption of location zero.

And blow the machine away? Bugger off. I wrote a fix590 program that
tells me if it *had* to patch location zero. therefore, if it is silent,
then location zero was NULL, (which it never is.)

>|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@isis.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831|
*** :-)E) A large toothy smile??? Fangs??
    David Le Blanc    UUCP (home)   : eyrie!walking!david@labtam@munnari.oz
    david@walking     ACSNET (work) : david@dogmelb.dog@munnari.oz
                                      CSIRO Division of Geomechanics
    "Life? Dont talk to ME about life.. " :  Marvin the paranoid android.