[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Simple Overscan Display

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (12/18/90)

I was told recently that there is a simple method for setting up an overscan
display that is compatible with 1.3 and 2.0. I've looked through the 1.3 RKM
and my binders of AmigaMail (current to July/Aug 1990) but I've found no
mention of how to go about it.
If anyone knows where I can find this information or knows of a code example,
please let me know. Please reply here in the public forum.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (12/18/90)

> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>
> The code for Multiplot XLNc on fish disk 737 contains a file mp.c which
> handles the startup of multiplot which includes sizing an overscan screen
> depending on the workbench screen size. This code does not break with WB2.0.
> You are welcome to it.
>
> Regards Alan

Thanks! I'll see if I can find it. BTW, I didn't realize FF was up to #737
already. :-) I'm assuming that was supposed to be #337.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (12/19/90)

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (12/20/90)

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

>The code for Multiplot XLNc on fish disk 737 contains a file mp.c which
                                          ^^^
                             Is that 337, 373, or just what?

>handles the startup of multiplot which includes sizing an overscan screen
>depending on the workbench screen size. This code does not break with WB2.0.
>You are welcome to it.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)

v089pfrb@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeffrey C Murphy) (12/20/90)

 Fish disk #373 I just checked

      X|     /// If You Didn't Get An Amiga |X| Galactic Overlord Jeff |
      X| \\\///       Then Be Sure To       |X| V089PFRB@UBVMSD.BITNET |
      X|  \\//          Get A Life!         |X| Galaxy Central, Buf NY |
      XX_______________________________________________________________
       XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

                        Simulated Window FX (c) IBM

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (12/20/90)

> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>
> >>handles the startup of multiplot which includes sizing an overscan screen
> >>depending on the workbench screen size. This code does not break with
> WB2.0.
> >>You are welcome to it.
>
> Regards Alan

I took a look at the code for MultiPlot and unfortunately it doesn't do the
kind of thing I'm trying to do. Like you said, it will create an overscan
screen IF the WB screen is overscan (set by MoreRows, et al). What I want to do
is create an overscan display from scratch so that the end product doesn't
depend on MoreRows or something else to set up the overscan screen.

Is there an OFFICIAL CBM  way of doing this?
Is anyone from Commodore still reading this news group?
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec19.161037.30484@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>
>>The code for Multiplot XLNc on fish disk 737 contains a file mp.c which
>                                           ^^^
>                              Is that 337, 373, or just what?

373, three hundred and seventy three. and boy am i tired...

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (12/21/90)

> peterk@cbmger.UUCP writes:
>

> You must (upgrade to/wait for) 2.0 where there is an OFFICIAL way for
> doing overscan.
>
> --
> Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal
> opinions...
> Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/
> {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

In the words of Inyego Montoyo (spelling?) from Princess Bride, "I hate
waiting." :-)
-Ron

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (12/21/90)

Funny, I guess we should pull back our products and tell our customers
to stop doing overscan in 1.3!  8-)  There are many programs using
overscan in 1.3, not all work in 2.0, but some do.  Our stuff
has worked in 1.3 and 2.0 properly and legally.  It is possible and
simple to do.
Rob

aaron@csseq.tamu.edu (Aaron Hightower) (12/22/90)

In article <664@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <4189@mindlink.UUCP> a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) writes:
>>
>>I took a look at the code for MultiPlot and unfortunately it doesn't do the
>>kind of thing I'm trying to do. Like you said, it will create an overscan
>>screen IF the WB screen is overscan (set by MoreRows, et al). What I want to do
>>is create an overscan display from scratch so that the end product doesn't
>>depend on MoreRows or something else to set up the overscan screen.
>>
>>Is there an OFFICIAL CBM  way of doing this?
>
>You must (upgrade to/wait for) 2.0 where there is an OFFICIAL way for
>doing overscan.
>
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

Okay.  I have WB2.0.  I have a similar problem.  I have a game that uses
sprites.  I have recently found that WB2.0 on the Amiga 3000 has very many
different things that a program must consider when loading from the workbench.

1) I have not been able to, as of yet, get sprite#7 (the last one) of the
hardware sprites to appear at all on the Amiga 3000.

2) When using Overscan from the Workbench before loading my game, the # of
sprites available is inversely proportional to the amount of overscan
available from the workbench.  I have, since then, found that this is a problem
with "bandwidth" shared by (or something similar to being shared) screen
and sprite display hardware.  EG: In maximum overscan, I can only display
sprites 0 (pointer) thru 4 (or 5 - don't quite remember.)

3) When using SuperBitMap features of the display, (particularly ones that
involve horizontal scrolling) sprites 4 and 5 start to go crazy.  It is a bit
like a fireworks display, but only 16 pixels wide on the horizontal position
of the sprite (4 or 5).

I have found these sprite problems to be very annoying.  Someone suggested that
the sprite 4/5 problem may be a defect in my particular machine - but they work
fine when I am not on a SuperBitMap screen that scrolls horizontally.

I think that I could prevent problem 2 by using CloseWorkBench() and
OpenWorkbench and/or changing the OverScan values - I suppose I'll do some
grepping for a routine in the 2.0 compiler headers and some more research on
that (any ideas?)

So, C=, what's the story on Amiga3000 sprites?  Am I an isolated case?  Am I
doing something wrong?  Is there a simple solution?  Anyone?

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (12/22/90)

> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>
> This CAN NOT be derived from ANY system information. Under WB2.0 you can find
> out the "text" and "overscan" sizes of the screen as selected by the user-
> which are supposed to represent what you want to know, and these are used to
> set the workbench size. But that in no way stops the user choosing to have
> a one inch black boarder all round the active screen, which you won't know
> about.
>
> An alternative is just to open an overscanned screen (just use
> overdimensional
> values when specifying screen size) and expect the user to reset the monitor,
> but most people on finding the screen cut off by the bezel will assume
> you are a shit programmer and not use your program.
>
> Regards Alan

If I were writing a word processor or a spreadsheet I would expect people to
think things like that. However, I'm writing a video tool. If a video tool
DOESN'T do overscan then your comment about s*** programmers would apply... in
spades!
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (12/23/90)

>> WB2.0.
>>
>> Regards Alan
>

> I took a look at the code for MultiPlot and unfortunately it doesn't do the
> kind of thing I'm trying to do. Like you said, it will create an overscan
> screen IF the WB screen is overscan (set by MoreRows, et al). What I want to do
> is create an overscan display from scratch so that the end product doesn't
> depend on MoreRows or something else to set up the overscan screen.
>
> Is there an OFFICIAL CBM  way of doing this?
> Is anyone from Commodore still reading this news group?
> -Ron Tarrant
> a976@Mindlink.UUCP

In a sense, what you need to know to do this, is "What size is the bezel
of the monitor in pizels as defined by the horizontal and vertical size
controls on the monitor... and I don't want to calculate this from the
workbench default!"

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (12/28/90)

> peterk@cbmger.UUCP writes:
>

> Well, I can fully understand this feeling. But there is a way:
> Get registrated (sp?) !  At CATS ! As a developer !
>
> --
> Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal
> opinions...
> Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/
> {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

I was once. If I ever get my hands on an extra $100(Can) I'll do it again. As a
matter of fact, if I had the $100 I'd probably update my compiler first, then
get the serial port fixed, then maybe fix the truck and the... etc.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP