[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Rock Lobster

cpc@sharkey.uucp (Chris Cebelenski) (12/28/90)

Hmmm... Whilst installing my new BASEBoard memory cards, I noticed that
my A500 Rev 5 motherboard was labeled "B52 / Rock Lobster"

Anyone know the origin of this?  How about who all those initials below
it stand for??

As an aside:  My baseboard clock REFUSES to hold a date when the
system is powered off.	It will hold it if I just give it the three-
fingered salute, but not from a cold-start.  I tried reseating all the
chips, and also scored all possible copntact points.  Any other suggestion
before I send it back (next day air, of course! :-)  )

    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage	    Internet: czaeap!cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com
			    GEnie: C.CEBELENSKI
				 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
 "Better dead than mellow"     \X/
NOTE: Due to brain dead mailers, this message can *NOT* be REPLIED to, to
reach me you MUST send a NEW message.  Sorry!

chanson@isis.cs.du.edu (Chris Hanson) (12/31/90)

In article <GENIE.90Dec31144006@zephyr.zephyr.dsir.govt.nz> genie@zephyr.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) writes:
>In article <9012270717.AA02490@czaeap.UUCP> ames!claris!portal!czaeap!cpc@sharkey.uucp (Chris Cebelenski) writes:
>
>>   Hmmm... Whilst installing my new BASEBoard memory cards, I noticed that
>>   my A500 Rev 5 motherboard was labeled "B52 / Rock Lobster"
>>   Anyone know the origin of this?  How about who all those initials below
>>   it stand for??
>
>"Rock Lobster" is the name of a song by a group called "The B52s" (named after
>a 50s hairstyle, I believe).  It's quite a strange song, but kinda cute :-)
>Why it would appear on an A500 motherboard is beyond me!
>
>Mark Stephens           \    "Looks like I picked the wrong week to give

  Now, I may not be totally correct on this one, but if I recall
back in the dark days of my first owning my 500, (Back when I
first heard about those HYSTERICAL hidden WB messages) someone
told me about the stuff etched into the motherboard.

  I heard something to the effect of that the 500 was intended
to be 'the one that bombed Atari', hence B-52. 'Rock Lobster' is
a song by the B-52s, but beyond that, I cannot correlate.

  Lest anyone feel the need to open their 500 cases to look at the
mysterious initials, I'll quote them here. (My 500, err, has no
case as such...)

B52 / ROCK LOBSTER
GRR / JSP / GUAY / FISH
RVW / VFA / DCA
HJM / CJW / TC / SMK
GET / LLK

  I can only surmise that they must be initials of the hardware and
software designers. Anyone wish to step forward to claim their
truncated monikers? Were I still running 1.2/1.3, I'd excercise my
finger dexterity, and look at the hidden WB credits to see if any
matched, but alas, 2.03 shows no sign of the multi-fingered
credits.

   Chris - Xenon

--
#define chanson Christopher_Eric_Hanson || Lord_Xenon || Kelson_Haldane
I work, but you don't know who I work for. And they don't know I'm here.

genie@zephyr.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) (01/01/91)

In article <9012270717.AA02490@czaeap.UUCP> ames!claris!portal!czaeap!cpc@sharkey.uucp (Chris Cebelenski) writes:

>   Hmmm... Whilst installing my new BASEBoard memory cards, I noticed that
>   my A500 Rev 5 motherboard was labeled "B52 / Rock Lobster"
>
>   Anyone know the origin of this?  How about who all those initials below
>   it stand for??

"Rock Lobster" is the name of a song by a group called "The B52s" (named after
a 50s hairstyle, I believe).  It's quite a strange song, but kinda cute :-)
Why it would appear on an A500 motherboard is beyond me!

Mark Stephens           \    "Looks like I picked the wrong week to give
DSIR Physical Sciences   \/\   up amphetimines"
Info Tech Group             \    - Air Traffic Controller, "Flying High"
Wellington, New Zealand      \