[comp.sys.amiga.tech] <None>

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (02/27/90)

In article <9827@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
(Valentin Pepelea) writes:

>The IEEE math libraries get only a 50% with a 68881 attached to a 68010,
                                       ^

                                   increase  (in speed)

Sorry for that mishap.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (03/02/90)

In article <9827@cbmvax.commodore.com>, valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
> In article <184.25e933aa@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> >
> Exactly. There is no point providing memory protection at all, if one part
> of memory cannot be protected. As long as public memory is free to be stomped
> by anybody, a crash is still unrecoverable.

Perhaps I don't understand the point you are trying to make here, but
isn't this a little overstated?  I'd be happy if I could get protection from
trashing my hard disk drive which happens occasionally when a program goes
astray.  I'd also be a lot happier if a program got pulled to a halt immediately
on attempting to write to a code segment rather than letting it go blithely
along until it hit something that caused a crash.  Partial memory protection
will not make an unrecoverable crash impossible but it would make it less likely
because you would have a better chance of stomping on a protected segment.

David Albrecht

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (03/05/90)

Help:

I'm having problems getting dnet to run.

I'ts running on an amiga & a sun sparcstation 1 (BSD 4.0.3). The dnet window
will come up fine, but when I try to connect Fterm will come up & say
hold on.....  Then nothing more. It just sits there and does nothing. If
I then start up Handshake V2.12a it doesn't complain about the serial port
being open, it just begins recieving funny characters. Almost like
a shifted 6  (eg.  ^   ) sprinkled with E's & other characters (eg bksp)

I's running over a serial line to a DECserver (8 bit connection set) to a
Vax, then through telnet to the sparcstation 1 (FIle server no nfs disks)

The process comes up on the sparc station, then sometimes will hamg around,
and sonetimes won't. All the dnet.server files seem ok & the env vars etc
have been set correctly (I think?).  Has anyone had this happen to them,
or somebody have some insight into whats happening.

PS The AMiga is std A2000 rev A mtherboard, 1.5Meg ram \, 2090A with
Miniscribe 3053, and a 68010 inside.

Thanx..

Hamish Marson.

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (05/05/90)

In article <6808@bula.se>, bjornk@bula.se (Bjorn Knutsson) writes:
> commercial software that does anything related to keyboard, screen etc
> you should get yourself a European beta-tester. It's painful to see
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or Australian :-)

Regards Alan

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (06/15/90)

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ABOUT MULTIPLOT
The email survey on data plotting prompted a number of queries about
Multiplot which I will now answer.

When is the next version out? It is finished, and is entering the final
	beta. I usually get it tested by an enthusiastic local for a week
	or to before distributing to overseas beta testers.

Does Multiplot support high quality output? It supports the highest possible
	resolution of any preferences printer via PLT:. It can also output
	HPGL, Draw, mCAD, IntroCAD formats. Postscript support is slated
	for the next version.

Does it clip at plot margins? Yes, the new version clips properly.

Does it cut and paste to other programs? Multiplot uses the clipboard
	to transfer data as ascii codes so that data may be entered
	very easily from documents, spreadsheets etc. It does not
	export the graphics either as vector or bit map via the clip-
	board. This can be achieved by saving as a data file in the
	appropriate format.

Does it use different line types? Yes.

Does it plot differential equations/quadratics etc? No. Multiplot does
	not plot formulae, but data. If the formula is used in a spreadsheet
	or simple program (basic/rexx) the input file format for
	Multiplot is easy to create.

Does it have default settings to enable quick visualisation of data? Yes. The
	orriginal "How to plot" window has been removed.

Is it commercial or PD? Neither. Multiplot is freely distributable under
	specific conditions including that it must not be distributed for
	profit. All rights to program and code are retained by its authors.

Does it handle scientific notation? Yes.

Does it have 2 Y axes? No. This is the second request for this feature. I'll
	give it some thought.

Can you colour the dots by a third parameter? The way I suggest you do this
	is load the data into a spread sheet, sort on the 3rd parameter,
	choose you ranges for the third parameter and place a blank line
	between each of the ranges. Save or clip the other two parameters,
	and load into Multiplot. Each range will appear as a different data
	set in a different colour.

Does it handle error bars properly? Yes.

Can it handle >2000 points? I think so. I don't have any data that big. Expect
	it to be slow.

Can it superimpose plots on the screen? So long as they use the same axes, Yes.

Does it handle histograms? No. It does handle survival (step) curves.
	Bar plots are slated for the next version.

Can it read ascii files? Yes.

Any plans for 3D/Contour/Polar/Wankfarnuncle Plots? Not unless people pay
	me lots of money.

Can it plot log data? No. It does not support log axes. Next version.

Can the user specify the minimum and maximum vales on the axes? Yes.

Does it have interactive editing of title/axis labels/ extra text? Yes.
	Multiplot has a Select/action stype interface.

That's it. Thanks for the interest.

Regards Alan

chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (07/20/90)

Subject:How to you tell the kind of rma chip that can be stuck in a 3000?
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 90 17:35:11 GMT

A friend of mine has a bunch of ram chips that he is going to move
from his lucas board to his 3000. He wants to know how to tell the
kind of ram chip that he can use.
Is thier some kind of prefix on static column ram chips like
ST-XXX-XX?

Charlweed Hymefan ( A Major Dude)

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (07/20/90)

To distinguish SCRAMS from normal page mode DRAMS, they put a suffix
of 02 on the part.  Nibble mode DRAMS get an 01 suffix.
So XXXXX-02 is a Static Column DRAM.
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

arc@desire.wright.edu (07/26/90)

   I know the CLI process limit on 1.2/1.3 is 20.  What is their TASK limit,
say when started with CreateProc()?  I HEARD it was 256.  Also does 2.0 have a
CLI limit?  Because I did about 64 newcli's on it perfectly.  ????

=    ///           | Jim Perry                 | Arc@Desire.Wright.edu =
=   /// Amiga!     | ^Communications Consultant|         -or-          =
= \XX/ The One     | Arc Electronics, Inc.     |    Arc@WSU.BITNET     =
= ____& Only...    | Wright State University   |"Ouch! Quit-it." - Bart=
=                  | Dayton, Ohio              |  Frank Sinatra Rules  =

In article <899.26ad8bee@desire.wright.edu> arc@desire.wright.edu writes:

>   I know the CLI process limit on 1.2/1.3 is 20.  What is their TASK limit,
>say when started with CreateProc()?  I HEARD it was 256.  Also does 2.0 have a
>CLI limit?  Because I did about 64 newcli's on it perfectly.  ????

	There is no limit on non-CLI processes (note: processes are supersets
of tasks).  2.0 has no limit on the number of CLI processes; 1.3 had a limit
of 20.  I've seen cli #300+ under 2.0 (when stress-testing with scripts).

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Steve E Tietze ) (11/06/90)

Subject:Boot Screen Help??
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 20:22:39 GMT
Because i erased my copy of bootgirl.
can anyone help me?

Steve
Amiga Man

set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Steve E Tietze ) (11/16/90)

Sender:set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu
Subject:Boot screen
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 21:17:57 GMT

Well I have a few questions. First is their anyprogram out their that can boot
up a graphics screen that you made in the startup like games do?  What are most
games programmed in?  How should i go about finding info on custom startup-
sequences?

just a few questions if anyone wants to answer them.

Amiga Man.
set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu

set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Steve E Tietze ) (11/24/90)

Subject:Help with Ftp sites
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 90 21:42:04 GMT

Recently I have been downloading alot of programs off the ftp site
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov in the incoming amiga dir.  But I have been running
into a big problem.  First im using Online V3 with a SupraModem 2400 and
downloading them with the zmodem capibility.  After the down load i
decompress the lharc files or the zoo files on a just formatted disk.

Now the problem after the decompression i try to look at the dir in the cli
and The system message comes up saying software error ect.  Whats the deal
here are all the programs bad or shoul i switch telecommunication programs
or do i have the dreaded computer sickness the VIRUS???? Can anyone help
This problem is driving me insane.  I have run VirusX and it didnt find
anything ???? SomeOne help.

Amiga Man.

set@phobos.cis.ksu.edu

2flnoffend@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/21/90)

Could someone please tell me how to connect my NEC multisync II to my
amiga 500!!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Tom Cole
University of KS

rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert J. Tatz) (12/22/90)

Subject: OSU-AUG meeting

Due to the fact that the December OSU-AUG meeting would fall on December 25th,
there will not be a December meeting.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

The January OSU-AUG meeting will be on January 29th at 5:30 PM in 120 BAKER.

Our featured guests will be Eric Schwartz and Dr. Len Nasman.  Eric is
currently enrolled at the Columbus College of Art and Design (CCAD).  His
creations include Aerotoons and Amy the Squirrel.  He will demo the new
art program - the Disney Animation Studio.  Len is currently a certified
Commodore Amiga developer.  Len will bring along his NewTek "Video Toaster"
to demonstrate the power of this exciting video processing hardware.

Quoted without permission from Infoworld, Dec 3/90, (COMDEX article) :

"Turns out there is multimedia and multimedia. In the latter category
is New Tek, makers of a hot Amiga product called The Video Toaster - a
board that can do neat tricks mixing live TV feeds with other video sources."

Enjoy the holidays.  See you in the New Year.
Bob          rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

--
Bob          rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
-> AMIGA (n.) - The BETAMAX of personal computers.

Silver_Ghost@Thunder_Island.GATE.citadel (01/03/91)

in re VideoMaster:  "State of the art
 palette selection and object creation methods are provided to generate

 works of video art quickly in 16 million vibrant, brilliant colors."

   Supposing I want to paint in dull, muted colors?  What then, hmmm?
!  Thunder Island - Information Gateway  \
!  Running KA9Q NOS - C86k v3.38 Link      \