[comp.sys.amiga.tech] ASDG Dual serial board and Scanlab 100

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (01/04/91)

  I called ASDG and tech supprt person on the other end said their Scanlab 100
software would *not* work with their dual serial board.  He said it goes
directly to the serial port hardware so using another serial port wouldn't do
anything.  I asked if there would be an upgrade to allow their software to
work with their board.  The guy said no because it's not their software, they
just made it for Sharp to include with the scanner.  I tried patching the
software before I called them and of course it didn't work.  I changed
serial.device to the one included with the dual serial board but no go.  Are
you sure they said it could be done?  Maybe they actually did come out with an
upgrade.  My dual serial board is sitting here doing nothing.

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (01/04/91)

>In article <6683@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>
>  I called ASDG and tech supprt person on the other end said their Scanlab 100
>software would *not* work with their dual serial board.  He said it goes

>upgrade.  My dual serial board is sitting here doing nothing.

Well I thought somebody had said it would work with the ASDG but maybe
what they said was it did not make much since to use the JX-100 on
the A2232 ports since they will only do 19200 and the scanner is capable
of faster speeds through the internal port.  Although they do provide a means
for selecting the baud rate for the scanner.

CBM has apparently layed out the rules for handling serial ports.
Unit 0 is the "default" port and is selectable via preferences.
Unit 1 is ALWAYS the internal serial port.
Unit 2+ is for any additional serial ports in the system.

I have considered trying to patch the scanlab software to use unit 1
instead of 0 but that would appear to be a hopeless task without sources
to provide some kind of map for the location of the opendevice call.

--
          _
    ///  /_\      Scot L. Harris ...!tarpit!bilver!amigash!scot