[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Handshake with RZ

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (12/06/90)

Does anyone know if there is a way to get Handshake to let go of the serial
port without exiting so that I can use an external Zmodem download program
to give it Zmodem capabilities?  I like the term, but I hate quitting the
term just to download a file from my account with Zmodem, and I don't like
Kermit, Ymodem, and for sure not Xmodem!  Any help would be appreciated, as
well as if anyone knows when the next version is comming out, and if it will
have Zmodem, and I don't mean that CRUMMY XPR implementation of Zmodem!

Christopher Walton
n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu

In article <10697@helios.TAMU.EDU> n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a way to get Handshake to let go of the serial
>port without exiting so that I can use an external Zmodem download program
>to give it Zmodem capabilities?

	Yes.  With 2.20b, just change the unit number for handshake.  (Haven't
tried it myself, but it should work I think even without another serial
port).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) (12/20/90)

In article <16658@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
   In article <10697@helios.TAMU.EDU> n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
   >Does anyone know if there is a way to get Handshake to let go of the serial
   >port without exiting so that I can use an external Zmodem download program
   >to give it Zmodem capabilities?

           Yes.  With 2.20b, just change the unit number for handshake.  (Haven't
   tried it myself, but it should work I think even without another serial
   port).

2.20b ? Really ? I thought handshake had stopped at the ubiquitous
2.12 ? I've been using VLT since then, but a new release of Handshake
would be interesting. The VT100 emulation in handshake is still the
best (or should I say, the only working one ?).

Where can you get it ?

        Carl Edman

Theorectical Physicist,N.:A physicist whose  | Send mail
existence is postulated, to make the numbers |  to
balance but who is never actually observed   | cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu
in the laboratory.                           | edmanc@uciph0.ps.uci.edu

In article <CEDMAN.90Dec19092423@lynx.ps.uci.edu> cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:
> The VT100 emulation in handshake is still the
> best (or should I say, the only working one ?).

I have a VT100 emulator that acts as a filter (converts vt100 to whatever
your terminal uses, using termcap), but it's STILL not quite right. Pretty
close, though... better than most VT100 compatible terminals I've seen. Is
the code to Handshake available?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (12/28/90)

In article <7336@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
|In article <CEDMAN.90Dec19092423@lynx.ps.uci.edu> cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:
|> The VT100 emulation in handshake is still the
|> best (or should I say, the only working one ?).

	I wouldn't think of using anything else 8^)

|I have a VT100 emulator that acts as a filter (converts vt100 to whatever
|your terminal uses, using termcap), but it's STILL not quite right. Pretty
|close, though... better than most VT100 compatible terminals I've seen. Is
|the code to Handshake available?

	No, Eric has that held real close to the chest.

	Stay tuned for an Interesting Announcement from
	him about the future of Handshake...

Cheers,
--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

In article <62727@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>In article <7336@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>|In article <CEDMAN.90Dec19092423@lynx.ps.uci.edu> cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:
>|> The VT100 emulation in handshake is still the
>|> best (or should I say, the only working one ?).
>
>	I wouldn't think of using anything else 8^)

	Nor would I.

>|close, though... better than most VT100 compatible terminals I've seen. Is
>|the code to Handshake available?
>
>	No, Eric has that held real close to the chest.
>
>	Stay tuned for an Interesting Announcement from
>	him about the future of Handshake...

	To reduce confusion, let me say I didn't realize the the version I'm
running isn't available publicly - I beta-test new versions for Eric, and got
confused.