[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga/Unix Windowing

rodan@wpi.WPI.EDU (Daniel Hunt) (01/07/91)

I'm rather new to the world of Unix, while I was on, I noticed other people were windowing... thinking this would be really neat, I relentlessly asked around 'til I found out that a terminal called Meshugena supported a protocol called UW... Fine, After a *LONG* and exhaustive search I find, much to my dismay that my host doesn't have UW... does anyone know where this is?

Another thing, Would anyone happen to know the location (ftp please) of niftyterm for dnet? (I'm giving dnet a try while I wait for the UW thing to gel!)

One final note.. I was looking in the archive of one of the finnish ftp sites today and I found a directory called x-windows.. is someone somewhere working on x windows for the amiga?

Thank you in advance for putting up with these plebian requests :-)

rodan@wpi.edu

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan7.105131.9184@wpi.WPI.EDU> rodan@wpi.WPI.EDU (Daniel Hunt)
writes:
>I'm rather new to the world of Unix, while I was on, I noticed other people
>were windowing... thinking this would be really neat, I relentlessly asked
>around 'til I found out that a terminal called Meshugena supported a protocol
>called UW... Fine, After a *LONG* and exhaustive search I find, much to my
>dismay that my host doesn't have UW... does anyone know where this is?
>
>Another thing, Would anyone happen to know the location (ftp please) of
>niftyterm for dnet? (I'm giving dnet a try while I wait for the UW thing to
>gel!)
>
>One final note.. I was looking in the archive of one of the finnish ftp sites
>today and I found a directory called x-windows.. is someone somewhere working
>on x windows for the amiga?
>
>Thank you in advance for putting up with these plebian requests :-)
>
>rodan@wpi.edu

Dale Luck of GfxBase has an X-Windows out for Amiga Dos.  Amiga Unix comes
with XWindows.

Sidenote:  Please, please, please, break your paragraphs up into lines rather
than writing your entire paragraph as one line - it makes my mail reader CRAZY.

				-- Kevin --

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (01/09/91)

Kevin> Sidenote: Please, please, please, break your paragraphs up into lines
Kevin> rather than writing your entire paragraph as one line - it makes my
Kevin> mail reader CRAZY.

I have seen this a lot on a number of newsgroups and wish it didn't occur.
I've suspected that this happens because people are using some word processor
(which typically treat carriage return as the end of a paragraph) to write
their responses to news messages.  Is this true?
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"