[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Handshake wont work with 2400zi!

ovrskeek@wyatt.ksu.ksu.edu (Yeewei) (12/05/90)

	I just downloaded Handshake 2.12(?) from larc.nasa. This program
looks great! I only have one problem, I cant get it to work with my
Supra 2400zi internal modem. I have tried the supplied SERIAL to
MODEM0 change program, and I have also tried just replacing the serial
driver with modem0.device. Neither seems to work. Does anyone know
how to make this combo work? Any help at all would be appreciated (sp?).

			Thanks!

James McIlree				ovrskeek@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (12/06/90)

ovrskeek@wyatt.ksu.ksu.edu (Yeewei) writes:

> 	I just downloaded Handshake 2.12(?) from larc.nasa. This program
> looks great! I only have one problem, I cant get it to work with my
> Supra 2400zi internal modem. I have tried the supplied SERIAL to
> MODEM0 change program, and I have also tried just replacing the serial
> driver with modem0.device. Neither seems to work. Does anyone know
> how to make this combo work? Any help at all would be appreciated (sp?).

Handshake won't work with your Supra for the same reasonit doesn't like
my A2232. I haven't used it in a while. For must stuff, use JR-Comm 1.01.
(A godsend from 1.00!), and when you really need _heavy_ VT10{0|2}, use
VLT.

> 			Thanks!

> James McIlree				ovrskeek@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68030 chip." -Computer Shopper

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (12/07/90)

In article <DcmqT6w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:

>Handshake won't work with your Supra for the same reasonit doesn't like
>my A2232. I haven't used it in a while. For must stuff, use JR-Comm 1.01.
>(A godsend from 1.00!), and when you really need _heavy_ VT10{0|2}, use
>VLT.

Not having used the A2232, I'm not an expert, but then, you were wrong in a
post I just read in .Hardware.  Did you try setting the default port
to whatever line you wanted?  The A2232 was designed with software
that specifically would work with programs that opened the serial.device
with a parameter of 0 and shadow it to whichever default device you
set in the new preferences.  As to making Handshake work with the 2400zi
try using NewZap and changing all occurances of serial.device to
modem0.device.

Oh, Handshake takes VLT hands-down in Vt-100 emulation.  I have yet
to find a Vt-100 emulation that beats Handshake 2.12a.
Haberfellner did a *great* job.
--
John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (12/10/90)

>In article <DcmqT6w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>ovrskeek@wyatt.ksu.ksu.edu (Yeewei) writes:
>

>> 	I just downloaded Handshake 2.12(?) from larc.nasa. This program
>> looks great! I only have one problem, I cant get it to work with my
>> Supra 2400zi internal modem. I have tried the supplied SERIAL to

This I have heard before and kept me from buying a 2400zi a while back.

>Handshake won't work with your Supra for the same reasonit doesn't like
>my A2232. I haven't used it in a while. For must stuff, use JR-Comm 1.01.
>(A godsend from 1.00!), and when you really need _heavy_ VT10{0|2}, use
>VLT.

As far as Handshake not working with the A2232, it works just fine for me.
As a matter of a fact the A2232 appears to offer completely compatible
serial ports for all of the software I use that hits the serial port.
Was simply a matter of designating one of the additional serial ports as
the default port.  I was/and continue to be very pleased with how the
A2232 works.  One of the cleanest PCBs I have ever seen BTW.  The only
compatibility type problem I have with serial ports is with the JX-100
ScanLab software.  It insists on banging on the default port before hitting
the internal port directly.  As a result I have to set the default port back
to unit 1 before I use the JX-100.  I had hoped that ASDG could provide me
with a patch or update or something that would let the ScanLab software either
pick the unit number it is to use or at least make it look for unit 1 instead
of unit 0 (the default port).

>> James McIlree				ovrskeek@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
>

>                        Joseph Hillenburg
>             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
>joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
>  "Only Apple could slow down a 68030 chip." -Computer Shopper

--
          _
    ///  /_\      Scot L. Harris ...!tarpit!bilver!amigash!scot

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (12/12/90)

In article <DcmqT6w163w@valnet>, joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) says:

>Handshake won't work with your Supra for the same reasonit doesn't like
>my A2232. I haven't used it in a while. For must stuff, use JR-Comm 1.01.

What is that reason? We want to know!

-- Dan Babcock

jep@mtiame.mtia.oz (Jesper Peterson) (12/12/90)

In article <scot.5138@amigash.UUCP> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>                                                              The only
>compatibility type problem I have with serial ports is with the JX-100
>ScanLab software.  It insists on banging on the default port before hitting
>the internal port directly.  As a result I have to set the default port back
>to unit 1 before I use the JX-100.  I had hoped that ASDG could provide me
>with a patch or update or something that would let the ScanLab software either
>pick the unit number it is to use or at least make it look for unit 1 instead
>of unit 0 (the default port).

This brings up another interesting question: Does the Scanlab software
know about ASDG's Dual serial port board? I have Scanlab and the JX-100
but I've seen no explicit mention of it in the manual (probably because
I haven't read it). Would it recognise the the "amiga serial port" on
the board and operate it at full speed without problems?

Jesper.
USEnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz.au            UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep
[...] I had to leave out reality to keep the post clean and to the point.
            - jeremy@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeremy York) in rec.music.misc

In article <25773@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>In article <DcmqT6w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>>
>>Handshake won't work with your Supra for the same reasonit doesn't like
>>my A2232. I haven't used it in a while. For must stuff, use JR-Comm 1.01.
>>(A godsend from 1.00!), and when you really need _heavy_ VT10{0|2}, use
>>VLT.

>Oh, Handshake takes VLT hands-down in Vt-100 emulation.  I have yet
>to find a Vt-100 emulation that beats Handshake 2.12a.
>Haberfellner did a *great* job.

	Yes he did.  I've been a registered user since 1988.  It's an excellent
vt102 emulation.  BTW, 2.20b supports other serial devices and units.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (01/02/91)

>In article <1990Dec12.031552.18139@mtiame.mtia.oz> jep@mtiame.mtia.oz (Jesper Peterson) writes:
>In article <scot.5138@amigash.UUCP> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>>                                                              The only
>>compatibility type problem I have with serial ports is with the JX-100
>>ScanLab software.  It insists on banging on the default port before hitting
>>the internal port directly.  As a result I have to set the default port back

>This brings up another interesting question: Does the Scanlab software
>know about ASDG's Dual serial port board? I have Scanlab and the JX-100
>but I've seen no explicit mention of it in the manual (probably because
>I haven't read it). Would it recognise the the "amiga serial port" on
>the board and operate it at full speed without problems?
>
>Jesper.
>--

In my conversations with ASDG it sounded like their serial board could be
used by the JX-100 at full speed.  According to the docs I have on ScanLab
there is a way to specifiy the speed but no way to change the unit number.
It sounded like ASDG did not agree with CBM about how multiple serial ports
should be handled on the Amiga and as such did something different than CBM
did for the A2232 board.  I would settle for running the JX-100 at 19200
(max speed for the A2232 ports) as long as I did not have to change the
systems default port in preferences every time I wanted to use the JX-100.

I believe ASDG provides a new port device of some kind that the serial board
uses.  Not sure but this is the same method that Supra used for their
internal modems.  IMHO this is a bad approach in that it requires the user
to PATCH any programs that use the ports with the new device drivers name.
As such some programs such as Handshake will not work with those devices
unlike the A2232 where Handshake works just fine.

Now if I could only get a patch for the ScanLab software or an update.....

--
          _

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/06/91)

In article <scot.5418@amigash.UUCP> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>>In article <1990Dec12.031552.18139@mtiame.mtia.oz> jep@mtiame.mtia.oz (Jesper Peterson) writes:
>>In article <scot.5138@amigash.UUCP> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>>>                                                              The only
>>>compatibility type problem I have with serial ports is with the JX-100
>>>ScanLab software.  It insists on banging on the default port before hitting
>>>the internal port directly.  As a result I have to set the default port back

This is true, we grab serial.device, unit 0 which suddenly changed meaning.

>>This brings up another interesting question: Does the Scanlab software
>>know about ASDG's Dual serial port board? I have Scanlab and the JX-100
>>but I've seen no explicit mention of it in the manual (probably because
>>I haven't read it). Would it recognise the the "amiga serial port" on
>>the board and operate it at full speed without problems?

>In my conversations with ASDG it sounded like their serial board could be
>used by the JX-100 at full speed.

No way we would have given this impression on purpose. The ScanLab/100
software cannot and will not support alternative serial devices. This
is because the software must go to the serial port hardware in order to
achieve its sustained throughput. Secondly, the decision to support or
not support alternative serial ports is *not up to us*.

Sharp Electronics *who is the exclusive seller of SL/100 in the U.S.*
has no interest in having to support multiple and diverse serial boards
on the Amiga. They could not possibly deal with the support issues, which
means those callers would be refered to ASDG. We certainly have no wish
to deal with the support issues either especially for the small royalty
we get for SL/100 in the first place.

>It sounded like ASDG did not agree with CBM about how multiple serial ports
>should be handled on the Amiga and as such did something different than CBM
>did for the A2232 board.

Right, sort of. Actually, CBM went ahead and did whatever they wanted and left
other developers holding the bag.

>I would settle for running the JX-100 at 19200
>(max speed for the A2232 ports) as long as I did not have to change the
>systems default port in preferences every time I wanted to use the JX-100.

Try running the JX-100 at 19,200 baud. Believe me, there isn't enough
hours in a day to make this speed acceptable.

>I believe ASDG provides a new port device of some kind that the serial board
>uses.  Not sure but this is the same method that Supra used for their
>internal modems.  IMHO this is a bad approach in that it requires the user
>to PATCH any programs that use the ports with the new device drivers name.
>As such some programs such as Handshake will not work with those devices
>unlike the A2232 where Handshake works just fine.

This isn't the reason Handshake doesn't work with the 2400zi. I think I
know the reason...it bit me on an early beta version of our own serial
device driver.

If the problem is still the same...here for all the world to see...is the
reason...(again, if the problem is still the same)....

Handshake sets the serial baud rate to 0 as part of its initialization.
This can easily cause a divide by zero in the clock frequency computation
in a serial driver. See if the guru is a divide by zero, if so...this
public service is brought to you by...etc. :-) and let Supra know they
owe me a beer. But I'll take an external modem instead. ;-0

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (01/09/91)

>In article <1677@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>In article <scot.5418@amigash.UUCP> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>>>In article <1990Dec12.031552.18139@mtiame.mtia.oz> jep@mtiame.mtia.oz (Jesper Peterson) writes:
>>>In article <scot.5138@amigash.UUCP> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>
>This is true, we grab serial.device, unit 0 which suddenly changed meaning.
>

>No way we would have given this impression on purpose. The ScanLab/100
>software cannot and will not support alternative serial devices. This
>is because the software must go to the serial port hardware in order to
>achieve its sustained throughput. Secondly, the decision to support or
>not support alternative serial ports is *not up to us*.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood.  I was also under the mistaken idea
that ASDG was the driving force behind the release of the JX-100/ScanLab
for the Amiga.

>Sharp Electronics *who is the exclusive seller of SL/100 in the U.S.*
>has no interest in having to support multiple and diverse serial boards
>on the Amiga. They could not possibly deal with the support issues, which
>means those callers would be refered to ASDG. We certainly have no wish
>to deal with the support issues either especially for the small royalty
>we get for SL/100 in the first place.
>

>Try running the JX-100 at 19,200 baud. Believe me, there isn't enough
>hours in a day to make this speed acceptable.

Ok, then how about simply providing a means to select the unit number?
This would allow those of us with 1.3 or higher to use multiple serial
ports like the A2232 and tell ScanLab to use the internal port (unit 1)
instead of the default port (unit 0).  Those without 1.3 or higher would
just set the unit number to 0, or does the opendevice call in older versions
even do anything with the unit number if it something other than 0?

I would even accept an unoffical/unsupported patch that changed the unit
number pemanetly to unit 1 for my use.  Any chance of getting such a
patch?

>Handshake sets the serial baud rate to 0 as part of its initialization.
>This can easily cause a divide by zero in the clock frequency computation
>in a serial driver. See if the guru is a divide by zero, if so...this
>public service is brought to you by...etc. :-) and let Supra know they
>owe me a beer. But I'll take an external modem instead. ;-0

Very interesting!  Possibly to late however to rescue Supra zi sales.
I know many people in this area that had many problems with the Supras.
I myself opted not to get an internal modem, I held out for a serial port
board and have not regretted the decision one bit.

>--
>Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
>	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry
>	CIS:   76004,1765 PLINK: pk-asdg

Thanks for the quick response!  Also, good job on ADPro!  Very nice!

--
          _