[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Text File Corruption

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (01/11/91)

Hi...

I own an Amiga 3000, 25mhz, 40 meg hard drive, 1 internal drive, 1 external
drive, modem, printer.

Every once in a while I will find that a text file gets corrupted.  It
appears to have binary garbage dumped in it.

I run VirusX 4.01 and StarBlanker all the time.

This only seems to happen to files that have been written to.  It has happened
mostly with files altered by ED.

What could be causing this?  A new virus?  Anyone else have these symptoms?

This doesn't happen very often. Just once in a while.  It IS annoying however.
Could my Harddrive have a bad spot on it?  How can I test this?

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (01/11/91)

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes:

>This only seems to happen to files that have been written to.  It has happened
>mostly with files altered by ED.

Gee, I bet it just COULDN'T possibly be a bug in ED :-) :-)

Are the files corrupted immediatly after editing (saving), or some time later?

Seriously, try another editor.

A good PD editor is DME, by Matt Dillon.
Its on many fish disks, and ftp archive sites.

Its free. Its fast. Its fully customizable. It works under 2.x (except
for iconify).

jlavin@cie.uoregon.edu (Jeff Lavin) (01/11/91)

In article <26239@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:

>Hi...
>
>I own an Amiga 3000, 25mhz, 40 meg hard drive, 1 internal drive, 1 external
>drive, modem, printer.
>
>Every once in a while I will find that a text file gets corrupted.  It
>appears to have binary garbage dumped in it.
>
>I run VirusX 4.01 and StarBlanker all the time.
>
>This only seems to happen to files that have been written to.  It has happened
>mostly with files altered by ED.
>
>What could be causing this?  A new virus?  Anyone else have these symptoms?
>
>This doesn't happen very often. Just once in a while.  It IS annoying however.
>Could my Harddrive have a bad spot on it?  How can I test this?
>

>--
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
>*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Yet with strange eons even death may die-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Since I received my 3000 about 6 months ago, I have experienced the same
problem.  My 3000 is an absolutely stock A3000-25/100 with 4 megs of SCRAM
added.  It will go along fine for a long time (weeks to months) with no
problem.  Then I will be editing a source file, and when I assemble it,
will get many error message.  A look at the file will show a lot of garbage
interspersed between good text.  This will go on for maybe an hour and then
won't show up again for a long time.

Dave Hanie, are you listening?

Jeff-

The Puzzle Factory, Inc.  | Jeff Lavin -- jlavin@cie.uoregon.edu
Veneta, Oregon            |-------------------------------------
Voice : (503) 935-3709    | Remainder of signature line
Data  : (503) 935-7883    | under construction.

wsc1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (William S Chou) (01/12/91)

In article <26239@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>I own an Amiga 3000, 25mhz, 40 meg hard drive, 1 internal drive, 1 external
>drive, modem, printer.
>Every once in a while I will find that a text file gets corrupted.  It
>appears to have binary garbage dumped in it.
>
>I run VirusX 4.01 and StarBlanker all the time.
>
>This only seems to happen to files that have been written to.  It has happened
>mostly with files altered by ED.
>
>What could be causing this?  A new virus?  Anyone else have these symptoms?

	I think there is a bug in 2.02 ED that trashs its memory buffers.
  On occasion when you type in an invalid command, its sent to the Arexx
  port.  Sometimes this causes ED to hang--you can scroll around beyond the
  top of the buffer where if you tried typing keys in, you trash memory and
  crash the system.  This bug has me cost more than a few editing sessions.
  Hopefully, this bug is fixed in the newest version.

>--
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
>*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Yet with strange eons even death may die-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    //	"Be Excellent to Eachother"   - Bill & Ted
\\ //	"And Most of All Be Excellent to Your Amiga"
 \X/				      - Will   wsc1@cunixb.columbia.edu